Getting Sponsored for SCCA Autocross - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Getting Sponsored for SCCA Autocross
Getting Sponsored for SCCA Autocross
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Getting Sponsored for SCCA Autocross

Old 01-16-15, 04:31 PM   #11
NGenesis9
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: DSG Performance Coilovers
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

NGenesis9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting Sponsored for SCCA Autocross

Thanks Sal! I'll definitely look into those videos! Anything to get better. Driving is my sport, passion, and hobby, so I need to at least be good at it. Building the car up is one thing, but being able to handle it is another. I'm hoping this year to go to several driving schools. If I get lucky at work, in March I might get to go to police driving instructor school! I'd love to translate some of that stuff to the course. See you all there!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-15, 01:16 PM   #12
Neanderthal Racing
'do right & fear no one"
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: $20. mudflaps from auto zone
My Subaru Parts for sale

Neanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really nice

good luck and much success with your sponsorship and racing career, ng!

stupid bruce tricks:
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-05-15, 05:48 PM   #13
NGenesis9
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

GOT MY COILOVERS IN! Fortune Auto 500 Series DSG Edition coilovers with Swift Springs. At the advice of my mechanic, I decided to go with a 12k spring rate on all four for my 2011 WRX STI. It's still snowy here in Colorado and I haven't yet put them on the car in order to protect them from the grime and salt of winter roads. But the season starts April 19th and I'm ready to see some lower lap times! Although I'm told I will have to completely re-learn how to handle the car. On the stock setup I over-drove the car so hopefully my natural aggression will be rewarded by some aggressive coils!

Thanks a bunch to my humble sponsors at DSG Performance! I have decals put on the car as well to represent those guys, and as if a great performance increase wasn't good enough, I'm quite a fan of the look! Jason has been great all around both with sponsorship stuff as well as consulting on parts. These guys really are a great company to work with, and I can't wait to see how their parts perform on track!

Pictures are linked through instagram on account of my stupid IWSTI profile isn't working to post pictures right now. Check them out!

https://instagram.com/ryanoettinger/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-15, 12:58 PM   #14
NGenesis9
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

It's been a long winter, but finally after months on end the racing season is again upon us. My car sat idly by waiting to be again pushed to the limit. In my off time I had a set of coilovers sitting around that I had ordered from one of my sponsors, DSG Performance, and I finally managed to get them put on the car. Thus far that's been the only major upgrade. They're DSG Performance special edition Fortune Auto 500 coilovers, and so far I am really enjoying them. A couple fellow STI drivers tried to sway me against Fortune Auto, but everyone has their brand loyalty. Plus, everything I saw online had nothing but raving reviews. Now as an owner myself, I can only agree with the online reviews, these things are great! Set at full softness they're pretty comfortable on the road, no worse than the stock shocks which were already pretty rough (it's no Kia). But a couple clicks on the front compression settings and a couple more extra clicks on the rear and she's a real track monster! Of course it is taking some getting used to, as my car's infuriating understeer has been replaced with some tail-happy oversteer. For anyone looking for a great entry level set of coilovers though I can't say enough good things about these. DSG Performance is my other sponsor, which is why mine are the special edition set. I'm sure though the regular Fortune Auto 500 or the more aggressive Fortune Auto 510 series would be equally as great (my special editions essentially get a new color scheme and some upgraded parts to make a hybrid of the 500, 510, and Dreadnought series coilovers). I'm sure CircuitMotorsports or DSG Performance would be able to hook anyone up with a set if they'd like! Again for pictures you'll have to take to Instagram, as IWSTI has me limited on how much I can upload and I don't know how to fix it.

Swift springs come standard on the DSG Edition, are optional on the regular 500 series

We had back to back days of autocross action this past weekend. Saturday was a "Test n' Tune" day, and man was it fun. I had never done one of these before, but I opted to spend the extra money and try it out so I could feel out the new coilovers. The Test n' Tune was limited to 60 drivers, and because there was no scoring and no limit on runs, there was no need for a formal grid or heats. I worked the gate early in the morning before they opened the track, and then had the whole rest of the day to race. In all I think I got about 15 runs in, which was great! My first run of the day I stupidly forgot to turn off traction control, and ironically set my second best time of the day. On my second run, for the first time ever, I spun off the track into the grass on the slalom. I can only blame myself, still getting used to the car's new handling dynamics. Check out this video of my fastest run!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oStiKe4c0I

The next day we had the first official event for the summer season. Unfortunately due to concerns of weather coming in later in the day we were limited to only 3 runs each. Sadly, my driving style takes about 4 or 5 to really learn and adapt. I guess I need to be quicker to pick up the fast racing line! Luckily, thanks in part to my driving ability and part to the car I was able to place 3rd out of 6 drivers. My fellow STI driver and fellow Circuit Motorsports sponsored driver Tyler Jago took first, so congrats to him! Thanks to a contingency sponsorship through GrimmSpeed, I even earned a little store credit money for my podium position. The track itself wasn't as fun as the course they had us running the day before, but it was a little bit longer and had more technical turns to it (probably why I had trouble with it). Below is a Youtube link (upload issues, sorry) to a video of my best run from the race!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvLlOEZGGQ

Well that's all I've got to report on for now! I've ordered myself some stiffer springs for the rear coilovers and a Whiteline adjustable front sway bar in order to balance out and complete my suspension setup (at the recommendation of my sponsored performance shop, Six Star Cars) but they aren't put on yet. After that I'll be contacting my sponsors at Circuit Motorsports to order some racing seats and mounts to go with them, as the stock seats definitely do not hold me in place despite my 5 point Corbeau harness. For racing seats I'll be going with the Corbeau Forza series in blue/black, which is a fixed back seat. Now all I need is a truck to tow this race-car around with so I don't have to spend time on the interstate uncomfortably in it!
I'll be checking back in near the end of May. I've got a bit of a break until then, but then another back to back weekend of racing. I'll be improving (hopefully) at the SCCA Tire Rack Starting Line Racing School on May 30 and will be at RMSOLO Event #3 at Front Range Airport the next day! Hope to see you all there, and online here as well!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-15, 01:22 PM   #15
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Very cool. I would have love to have come out, but many of us were at HPR this past weekend. Looks like the weather at PPIR was a bit better than what we had.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-15, 04:40 PM   #16
Dr.Chris
Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 11 Sti Hatch
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Dr.Chris is on a distinguished road

I saw you run on Sunday. I was in the white '11 STi in BS. I finished 8 out of 12 in my first event in the STi. I ran STU last year in North Carolina and Tennessee in a '11 Evo MR. Thought I would stay stock for a year to see how I stack up to the better competition here. Are you skipping the school and race for event #2 in the beginning of may? I'll stop by and say hello next time I see you!

Chris
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-24-15, 06:07 PM   #17
NGenesis9
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Sadly (or happily) I will not be at event #2 because I am going to a close friend's wedding. Silly fool had to schedule that thing on my race day! I'm also not going to be at the school either, but I'll be at the Starting Line school on May 30 and I will be at Event #3 the day after! I should be able to make it the rest of the season and I'll be at the championship event at PPIR in June as well. Please do come by and chat with me in person and check out the car! If the scheduling works out I would be happy to take you on one of my runs with me.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-28-15, 03:09 PM   #18
NGenesis9
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Back in Action After Engine Failure

It's been a long while (i.e. months) since my last post, and there's a reason for that. At a Rocky Mountain Solo Series Autocross event back in early May, my STI found it appropriate to seize up and die. I'd share the dash-cam style GoPro video, however I fear it would disappoint. There is no smoke, no screaming and crunching of engine components, no spinning of the car or squealing of tires. There is only a brief period as I came around a turn on what was poised to be my best (and final) lap of the day where the engine falls sharply to 2000 rpm and holds there despite my flooring the gas trying to figure out what was wrong. I finally pushed the clutch in and the engine shut itself off, never to live again.
What had happened was blamed on old/bad oiling. I waited too long between oil changes, and allowed the dealership to choose which synthetic to use. As most car nuts know, not all oils are the same and I was evidently given some sub-par product which I proceeded to use too long without changing. The result was a spun bearing, which once broken loose inside the engine block proceeded to incinerate two of my pistons in molten shrapnel which in turn exploded throughout the entire engine, from intake manifold to heads and block, through turbo and exhaust and out the tailpipe. Pistons were melted, heads were fused and singed, cams were bent, and anything involving the oil system was contaminated. My once proud stallion was now a withered corpse. The damage was inconceivable, the mechanic told me "I don't know if you want to be frustrated or proud of this, but that's the most destruction I have ever seen on a Subaru engine failure." Great.... check out some of the pictures below

The end result was a vehicle refinance through the bank, a month and a half without a daily driver or race car, and an expensive heart transplant for the Subie. Nothing was reusable except for the turbo itself which we managed to rebuild. Beyond that, I got myself brand new Subaru heads, camshafts, cam gears, pistons, crankshaft and block. All four pistons were of the "B" type (as opposed to "A" pistons) which my mechanic assures me is good. And since we were already spending exorbitant amounts of time, money, and labor, I seized the opportunity to upgrade the car.
We added a Killer B Motorsports Oil Pan and Oil Pickup as well as GrimmSpeed Up-Pipe, Down-Pipe, and Crossover-Pipe all with the ceramic heat coating. You'll remember I already had an AEM cold air intake. Additionally, the great guys at CMS helped me out with a Cobb Tuning exhaust system. Once the car was running again and the engine finished with its break-in miles, we put it on the dyno and created a custom Street Touring class legal tune. Part of that tune meant running stock boost levels, and thus the car put down an admirable but not daunting 249.5 horsepower at the wheels.

Then it came time to get back to the races. Unfortunately extra power and better responsiveness weren't enough to counteract a driver still getting used to his recent suspension upgrades and being off track for two months, nor could they make up for nearly dead and worn Hankook Ventus RS-3 tires that were expected to compete with multiple drivers' new sets of Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R tires which are continuing to amaze any who come into contact with them. Back to back weekends at Pikes Peak International Raceway yielded results of Third Place out of Four on week 1 and Second Place out of Four on week 2. Due to unknown technical difficulties the GoPro failed to record any runs on the second weekend, and thus all photos and videos are from week 1. Check out the youtube link below. As always, additional pictures are available on instagram at

Fastest Run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm4GAfD3kW8

More to come as the season progresses, stay tuned! I am also working out details to have my car in a booth at the Rocky Mountain Subaru Festival in September with my local performance shop, Six Star Cars. Come and see us there!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-28-15, 03:41 PM   #19
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I think I saw many picture of the carnage...

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-01-15, 04:51 PM   #20
NGenesis9
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, it was pretty bad. And it was a long time to endure. The cost was so high it's hard to put into perspective, and thus hard to be upset over. Just baffling all around.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement