IW STi Forum banner

Track Day Checklist (input needed)

36K views 62 replies 38 participants last post by  Jaqueline52 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I feel like I need a checklist every time I go to a track day because no matter how much I prepare in advance I always seem to forget something different each time. The goal of the list below is to present a comprehensive checklist of things one should consider taking with them before going to the track. The list is intended to cover all aspects of track events, so if you do not see something on the list please include your tips below and I will update the list as frequently as possible. If you use the checklist, please realize that some of the point may not apply to your particular track event so not everything is mandatory.

1. 2 quarts of Motor Oil (minimum)
2. Tire Pressure Gauge
3. Wheel lock & Torque Wrench (or remove the wheel lock before the track day)
4. Helmet & possibly Gloves
5. rain/sun/thermal wear & sunscreen & hate & sunglasses
6. Cash/CC (you might need gas at the track)
7. Basic Tool Kit (dont forget the right tool to adjust your rear sway bar if adjustable)
8. Pyrometer
9. Folding Chair
10. Jack/Stands
11. Log Book
12. Food & Drink/Cooler/Lunch etc.
13. Magnetics
14. Remove Spare
15. Air Pump/Air Tank
16. E-Z-up
17. Adquate clothing for extreme temperatures & climates like rain, wind, humid, or high heat levels(i.e. long sleeve and short sleeve shirt at a minimum).
18. Power Steering Fluid

See less See more
#2 ·
Are we talking about HPDE sessions?

If so, let’s see: Do a basic tech review of the car, remove take-off items like spare, lose the wheel locks, swap wheels (?), jack/stands, torque wrench, pyrometer, magnetics, helmet, hat, rain/sun/thermal wear, water, lunch, log book, basic tool kit, folding chair (?), driving shoes, sun glasses, cash, remember to take your wallet out of your pocket if you’re using a harness and don’t like your chiropractor, lol.

There’s a lot more, it depends on the type of event and travel distance.

#3 ·
I was thinking of general track days thrown by different organizations because I was familiar with those, but if you have an item specific to a particular type of organized motorsports flag it with a * and put the type of motorsports it is specific to in (...) and I will still add it. Thanks!

#4 ·
You forgot an air pump. Two of the tracks I've been two don't have them available during HPDEs (go figure.)

#8 ·
#11 ·
atc5 said:
why should you remove your wheel locks at the track and replace w/ regular lug?

curious...
IMO, wheel locks are too much of a PITA when swapping wheels and checking torque – which certainly should be done between sessions. They’re just one more thing to contend with. Actually, two things: The locks and the key.

I don’t really have a need for wheel locks around home, although I do have a set that ‘came with the car’. If I were using them, I’d just take them off the night before the event when I prepped the car.

I try to keep the tech stuff as simple and as organized as possible, so I can focus on driving the car at events. A wheel lock on my car at a race event would be more likely to result in an improperly-torqued lug than in the prevention of a wheel theft.

#12 ·
atc5 said:
why should you remove your wheel locks at the track and replace w/ regular lug?

curious...
in addition to what sciolist mentioned i've had instructors tell me it's a good idea in the event you get stuck off line or in the weeds at the track. i guess they view having to swap in a donut as a PITA if you also have the wheel lock lugs to deal with.

#13 ·
Here is what I use for my autocross trips: autocross list. One thing I like about it is that I've tried to organize it into sections, so I check all the things that go in the race bag, close it up and they're all done. Load up the trunk and it's done. I just draw a line down the left as I've packed things. After everything but the bottom (water, snack, coffee) is done, I prepare those and I'm ready to go.

I didn't list a tire gauge because I keep my race gauge in the glove box where it never leaves. I carry a cheap spare in the race bag. Some things I don't always take -- air compressor, camera, chair, and so on. I don't take extra clothes or a book to local events. Now that I've bought some race gas to get above 91 octane I'll have to add that.

If I was doing track days I'd probably want to include a few extra things like oil and brake fluid. A roll of race tape or gaffer's tape is nice to have, and I've heard some people wrap a bit around a prescription bottle to make a smaller package. For karting I'd add rib protector, neck brace, kart suit, closed face helmet. God knows what a full list would be like for all the stuff to keep a kart running for an hour.

One addition I might make would be some to-do items that may need to be done. For instance: get air, get gas, get money, check weather, feed trunkmonkey, check oil, check street tire pressures, wash car.

#14 ·
Fire extinguisher, usually for somebody else's brakes. Extra set of front brakes why I'm talking about them. Tarp to put all your stuff on. Little tuperware container for all the stuff in your armrest and glovebox. The right attitude.

#15 ·
Don't forget wheel chalks as you don't want to use your ebrake when you pit in. Also, as a note, bring water. I know it's already on your list, but ensure you bring more than what you think you will need. It's easy to get dehydrated when you out there. Brake fluid, spare brake pads, coolant, shop rags, painters tape (if you want to tape up your headlights, etc.) window cleaner, paper towels, and an open mind. :D

#39 ·
Don't forget wheel chalks as you don't want to use your ebrake when you pit in.
Why don't you want to use your ebrake in the pit? I'm guessing that your rotors might be hot enough that the ebrake could cause the pads to stick? What sort of ebrake is on the STI, is it an axel brake (I don't see how it could be) or does it actually engage the rear disk brakes manually?

#26 ·
agreed. chalk or white shoe polish to get your tires to the right pressure.

i would also add a note to the spare tire removal...if you're driving to the track in your track car, you should still bring your spare to the track. just remove it when you are there, so that you have it in case one something happens to one of your wheels. of course, if you are bringing a second set of wheels, this is probably not necessary.

#22 ·
Here's my list - note that it is for my 911, but nearly everything should transfer over to the STi:

Things to Pack for the Track

General
Cell phone
Wallet
Cash
Event Paperwork
Directions
Tech sheet
Licenses (driving, instructing, racing)
Track map

Safety
Helmet
Driving suit
Driving shoes
Driving gloves
Car numbers
Fire extinguisher

Tools
Jack plate
Factory toolkit
Baseball bat
Racer’s tape
Bra - hood section only
Oil
Paper towels
Shop rags
Tire gauge
Wheel chocks
Torque wrench and socket
Breaker bar
Drill and socket
Windshield cleaner
Stopwatch
Tire pyrometer
Plastic trash bags
Zip ties
Latex gloves
Hand cleaner

Brake bleeding
Open-end wrench set
Empty glass bottle
Tubing
Brake fluid
Motive bleeder
Vice grips
Turkey baster

Swaybar adjustment
Allen head wrenches
Hammer
Loctite blue

Comfort
Sunglasses
Cooler
Mints / chewing gum
Gatorade
Food
Hat
Sunblock
Change of clothes
Folding chair
Rain jacket
Saline solution
Extra contact lenses
Eyeglasses
Aspirin

#23 ·
May I recomend that prior to going to the track you look it up at www.trackpedia.com get a good track map and watch some videos....

#25 ·
In addition to the above suggestions, I bring fuel jugs. I use so much 100 octane in a track day that it's a pain going to the pumps every other run session so I fill up the tank and all the jugs first thing in the morning, and then I can refuel wherever I'm parked.

Also, bring a extra set of properly gapped spark plugs and a gapping tool (don't know if anyone already mentioned that).

#27 ·
Sounds stupid, but getting a large plastic bin at walmart always helps to keep your stuff together and dry. When its not in your car when you racing.

I always forget getting this when autoxing and I use dumb plastic bags :/

That was the other thing I was thinking was chalk for the tires. Great for regulating tire pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.