Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: '11 STI #37 STU
Fav Mod: www.evoschool.com
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

em99sport is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GRs in STU autocross

Alright, having searched for GR-specific STU autocross info, I found little. Who is running, where, and what kind of setups? Given the heated competition against EVOs (and an E36 M3 in 2012! ) on the national level, we could provide one another with crucial info.

Thread basics:

-coilovers/struts and springs (with spring rates)
-sway bars (with diameters)
-bushings
-wheels (with dimensions) / tires (with dimensions)
-power mods
-brake mods
-miscellaneous mods (mounts, seats, other weight reduction, etc.)

If available, provide other relevant details concerning your setup, including damper settings, tire pressures, and alignment numbers.

See post #16 for my setup: https://www.iwsti.com/forums/3737885-post16.html

For those looking for additional information, the 2013 SCCA Solo rules can be found here:
The Sports Car Club of America - Solo

Street Touring (including STU) has its own section, so check that out before posting any specific questions. More than likely, the answer is in there.

Last edited by em99sport; 02-11-13 at 05:58 AM. Reason: add link
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-12, 02:13 PM   #2
yman
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: TIRES TIRES TIRES
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GRs in STU autocross

When I was doing STU autocross in North Carolina in the Eastern region I was doing pretty well (took 1st in class 3 races in a row). The local STU champ who was running an SRT-4 actually switched to an STI mid-year I believe. Now there's a guy running STU and getting FTD's in his 07 STI. Much of it comes down to the driver, but you can get pretty serious times with a GR. Are you planning on racing Nationals in the STI?

If so, James Wilson (you might remember him from forum wars) has an autocross prepped GR STi I believe, and he was an SCCA national champ in his '11 WRX if I'm looking at the books correctly.

So yea, definitely a good base to race from.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-21-12, 06:41 PM   #3
jrose29
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2011 white WRX
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jrose29 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont have an Sti but an 11 WRX and its mildly prepped for STU. It did win the Nashville road tour last year.

My car has:

GTWorx Bilstein RCE yellows (330/330)
Eibach 25mm Front / 22mm Rear
Whiteline diff lock down
17x9" rota DPT with 245/45 dunlop starspecs
3" catback

This is not my dedicated autox car so the prep is very street friendly. I usually run in STR / EP in Honda's so the subaru is a little different for me.

Last year i ran the car 4 times after nationals. My impression is that the set-up has great balance buts needs to be stiffer to be national level competitive. Maybe a 25mm rear bar and 500f/600r springs. Just a guess. Obviously better shocks. Put a lot of front camber in and run a small amount in rear (help rotation)

One of the biggest things that I felt the car was missing was a LSD in back (no concern on an STi. Also a downpipe and STU legal tune.

If you looking for national level I would say seats and any other legal weight reduction would be a must as well. But for just locals a good driver would do well with a set-up like mine. Especially good and fun on asphalt.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-12, 01:31 PM   #4
em99sport

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yman View Post
When I was doing STU autocross in North Carolina in the Eastern region I was doing pretty well (took 1st in class 3 races in a row). The local STU champ who was running an SRT-4 actually switched to an STI mid-year I believe. Now there's a guy running STU and getting FTD's in his 07 STI. Much of it comes down to the driver, but you can get pretty serious times with a GR. Are you planning on racing Nationals in the STI?

If so, James Wilson (you might remember him from forum wars) has an autocross prepped GR STi I believe, and he was an SCCA national champ in his '11 WRX if I'm looking at the books correctly.
Were you running with NCR SCCA? There are a few guys throughout the Carolinas who seem fairly serious about STU, so the competition is encouraging. Nothing would be worse to me than to run by myself in class.

Ultimately, I would love to hit a couple National Tour and ProSolo dates per year, as well as making the trip to Lincoln for nationals annually. In the immediate future, however, I'm limited to events in NC and SC, with the occasional venture into VA and GA. It's great having three SCCA regions and two independent clubs within a three hour drive.

From what I've seen on Nasioc, James Wilson appears to be running a STX '08 WRX until the BRZ he's co-driving is delivered.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-22-12, 01:43 PM   #5
em99sport

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose29 View Post
My impression is that the set-up has great balance buts needs to be stiffer to be national level competitive. Maybe a 25mm rear bar and 500f/600r springs. Just a guess. Obviously better shocks. Put a lot of front camber in and run a small amount in rear (help rotation)

If you looking for national level I would say seats and any other legal weight reduction would be a must as well.
I'm looking at spring rates very similar, but was hoping to get away with as little sway bar as possible. I'm waiting on damper delivery to have coilovers assembled, but I hope to have detailed info concerning my approach in May.

I was thinking a big rear bar would lift too much, and I was having a bit of that on stock suspension already.

For weight reduction, I just bought a battery, and I'm looking at doing Girodiscs. Beyond that, seats are probably next. I already have a muffler delete turndown, as well.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-15-12, 03:20 PM   #6
DelJago
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Gray 11 WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

DelJago is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadness, no traction in this thread?? I was hoping for some easy answers.

I'll contribute, last season looked like this:
Suspension:
GTWorx Plates
RCE T2 Coilovers 550f/600r
Alignment -2.5*f with 0 zero toe all around, no rear camber adjustments
Power:
Invidia DP
DP Turndown
AEM intake
Cobb AP Tuned by TorquedPerformance.com
Grip:
Kosei K1 TS 17x9
245/40/17 Hankook RS-3
Misc:
Cipher Auto front seats (27lbs with brackets)
Ballistic Performance LiPo Battery
ATE Super Blue brake fluid
Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
Stickers under the hood good for at least +5hp each

Was my first full season, took 2nd overall in STU with my local SCCA and 3rd in a BMW club within their street tire class. For 2013 I plan on staying in STU and trying to take down the evo that won last year.

Last edited by DelJago; 08-21-13 at 09:31 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-15-12, 03:35 PM   #7
ChefPhil
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: one of 125
Fav Mod: Subframe bushings
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ChefPhil is on a distinguished road

Deljago, what tune are you using?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-15-12, 04:07 PM   #8
GA Scooby
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: Tarmac T2's!
My Subaru Parts for sale

GA Scooby is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's my current setup. I wasn't able to use it for more than a few events but it performed much better than my stock did.

Suspension:
RCE Tarmac T2's 500/500
GTworx camber plates
RCE sways
Whiteline bushings everywhere.
Power:
Cobb AP
SPT exhaust
Grip:
Stock wheels
245/40/18 Dunlop Z1 Starspec

For next season I plan on adding a TurboXS 4" DP, new intake, possibly EL headers and a few other bits to get some more power/torque. Plus I'd like to get some 05-07 OEM BBS wheels to mount RS-3's to and I'll be addressing braking. I'm thinking of girodiscs (I plan to get on road courses more) and ferodo DS2500's with goodridge stainless lines, motul RBF600 brake fluid, and a grimmspeed master cylinder brace.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-15-12, 04:27 PM   #9
ChefPhil
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: one of 125
Fav Mod: Subframe bushings
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ChefPhil is on a distinguished road

With an OTS AP tune, we run ASP. A guy here has a tune from Agile Automotive that uses stock boost settings but tunes in boost creep to get around the rule of not changing boost settings. He has 300+ HP with stock boost settings!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-15-12, 10:55 PM   #10
DelJago
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Gray 11 WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

DelJago is an unknown quantity at this point

I just run locally so I use the OTS stage II tune from Cobb. I'm down about 75hp and over 100tq to the evo that beat me last year so he doesn't care. He's a great driver and his car is close to spec, so even if I take a couple wins from him next season it shouldn't matter. The tune is more for fun and engine health than actually trying to win.

I could run ASP but I think there were a total of 10 people all of last season in ASP, which would be completely boring. STU has way more people and is super fun.

Plus Chris Dorsey (multiple nats winner in EP) is in my region and kills the PAX every time. 2nd place is usually in the 980's and I'm in the 920s.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement