Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Gray 11 WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

DelJago is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GRs in STU autocross

I'm with you on springs over bars.

Thanks for the input on your experience and plans. Any chance you have any vids?? I'd like to compare the pitch and roll vs my car.

Had to dig a bit to find a vid with a decent example of the lift-off oversteer, but at 27s there is a left turn heading into a couple offsets.
https://www.youtube.com/v/1Ac0bkhPxG8

Earlier in the day I was steering around the cone, but I learned with a little lift I could get the car to rotate and stay much tighter. I'm sure there will be things I have to change about how I approach a course, but I do like this driving style.

Please don't protest the illegal interior mod.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-12, 05:28 AM   #22
em99sport
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: '11 STI #37 STU
Fav Mod: www.evoschool.com
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

em99sport is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't view or add videos at work, so I'll do that later.

Also, I updated my previous build post with more information.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-17-12, 07:41 AM   #23
yman
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: TIRES TIRES TIRES
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yman is an unknown quantity at this point

springs over bars in theory sounds better but I always had good results running a 24mm rear sway on full stiff. in my head it doesn't sound like it should work but on the course it worked (GR)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-12, 07:45 AM   #24
GA Scooby
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: Tarmac T2's!
My Subaru Parts for sale

GA Scooby is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99sport View Post
As mentioned above, I have them on my car. The advertised benefit is lighter weight, so I'm failing to see how they last longer under extreme braking (track use).

Despite writing "centers", I was thinking of/referring to replacing outer rings. While obviously cheaper than buying complete rotors, the outer rings are hardly the inexpensive part. MSRP for whole rotors: $1450; replacement outer rings: $800.

If my car were seeing occasional track use, I'd pick up some Centric Premiums and not feel *as* bad about eating rotors with track pads.
I'll leave this thread here for you to read. It shows proof of the durability with Girodiscs. Some reporting they've gone 60 track days on a single set. Why buy a rotor that expensive if it isn't going to be beneficial in all areas. To think it is only for less rotational mass is absurd. A regular slotted rotor will last longer than a centric blank due to better heat dissipation. So why wouldn't the Girodisc do the same?

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...girodiscs.html

One more thing. Ryan Gates' Evo X is still on its first set of Girodisc outer rings front and rear.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-17-12, 08:11 AM   #25
Robm129
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Cobb Surgeline Stg 2 Pro Tune
My Subaru Parts for sale

Robm129 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Scooby View Post
The benefits of the girodisc's are they last longer under track conditions. I'm not going to be tracking the car every month. The rotor hats are the expensive part and you can buy the outer rings separate at a much cheaper rate.

I'm not competing nationally. If I were I would abide more closely to the rules. My local region doesn't really care.
I've run the Girodisc 2pc fronts on CarboTech XP10s for 6 Auto-X's and 3 track days. They have shown little sign of wear. Couple that with the weight savings...I think they are a great investment.

Also...for reference...I paid $650 for my fronts brand new at my door step.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 12-17-12, 08:17 AM   #26
GA Scooby
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: Tarmac T2's!
My Subaru Parts for sale

GA Scooby is an unknown quantity at this point

I figured you'd chime in.

Where'd you get your rotors?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-17-12, 09:00 AM   #27
Robm129
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Cobb Surgeline Stg 2 Pro Tune
My Subaru Parts for sale

Robm129 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I figured you'd chime in.

Where'd you get your rotors?
I've had great success with them and have no problem letting the community know that. You would think I work for Girodisc and Carbotech...haha.

I believe I got them from THMotrosports. They were great to work with and I bought the 2pc Fronts and 1pc rears from them at the same time.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-17-12, 04:01 PM   #28
em99sport

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelJago View Post
Any chance you have any vids?? I'd like to compare the pitch and roll vs my car.
The quality for Day 1 sucks for some unknown reason, but this is a long, transition-heavy course. Day 2 was pretty much the same course, in reverse. Video embed is dominating me, so here's a link:

"2012 NCAC 37 STU JOHN WOLF - YouTube"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelJago View Post
Earlier in the day I was steering around the cone, but I learned with a little lift I could get the car to rotate and stay much tighter. I'm sure there will be things I have to change about how I approach a course, but I do like this driving style.
There is obviously more body roll visible, but your car appears to turn in well. I'd say some of the good handling could be attributed to the additional front camber. You appear to wheel that thing pretty well.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-17-12, 04:11 PM   #29
em99sport

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
I'll leave this thread here for you to read. It shows proof of the durability with Girodiscs. Some reporting they've gone 60 track days on a single set. A regular slotted rotor will last longer than a centric blank due to better heat dissipation. So why wouldn't the Girodisc do the same?
Sweet. My car will likely never see track duty, but it's nice to know the rotors are up to extended use.

I'm aware of the heat dissipation characteristic, but figured it to be negligable in the Girodiscs over say, a set of Power Slots. Apparently, that isn't the case.

Quote:
Why buy a rotor that expensive if it isn't going to be beneficial in all areas. To think it is only for less rotational mass is absurd.
Surely you've heard the expression "because racecar", no? 22 pounds of unsprung, rotational mass in competitive autocross, especially when dealing with understeering AWD pigs, is nothing to shrug off. When you're dealing with stock power, such weight reduction is nice.

Anyways, back to STU-specific discussion.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-17-12, 06:11 PM   #30
DelJago
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Gray 11 WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

DelJago is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the vid, your car is definitely much flatter in the transitions and doesn't unsettle as much when transitioning on and off throttle. I swear, sometimes when I hit it hard coming out of a sweeper it feels like the front of the car is floating. Stiffer rears will hopefully get me on throttle sooner and with more predictability.

Here's a pic showing the roll. I even have about 200lbs of ballast in the passenger seat.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement