Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best? - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?
Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?

Old 08-23-11, 12:34 PM   #31
Socko
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: 03 Z06
Fav Mod: Not checking my oil every day!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Socko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?

sedan has lower drag(3 mph top speed bump), better weight bias in theory as the extra weight can mostly be accounted for by the extra few inches and wing which are in the back.(it is a few pounds heavier) Though its behind the rear axle so it creates what some people refer to as issues with "polar moment of inertia" though I dont know that is a proper use of the term.

I don't think it is enough difference to matter. By the time you get the money into the car to get it preped I cant imagine you are going to see any legitimate time made up on the track.

As far as the difference in feel 08 vs 11. It is quite noticable stock. But once you get everything set up its going to be the same as long as your deal with the springs/sways/bushings. I got a ride in a 2011 hatch that was stock when my car was stock. i didnt notice any difference, though my *** dyno isnt known for its spectacular calibration.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-11, 12:49 PM   #32
Scargo
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road

Are you saying you have a "dumb azz"?
Thanks for the input. This is exactly what I am looking for to help me make a decision.

Old 08-23-11, 09:16 PM   #33
yman
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: TIRES TIRES TIRES
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yman is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO the stock wing sucks, but it's better than nothing. Very heavy, the weight is in a bad spot and it doesn't create very functional downforce for cornering. If anything its like a weight at the end of a stick loading the rear outside tire for safety, but I would look to aftermarket if I was going to road race. Just something to consider.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-19, 03:08 AM   #34
Scargo
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road

Funny how, almost eight years later (!) I am racing the '08 hatch, fully gutted and caged at ST2 level. I now have two, identical low mileage '07 STi's. One's my DD @ 390 HP. I'm building a new track car in the other '07. It has TSS Fab subframes (everything underneath is tubular) JRZ racing shocks, all the SuperPro stuff, CF driveshaft, and possibly 500 WHP. The engine is not assembled yet. I have a 3576 with Tial 1.01 turbine housing for it and modified Full Race 1.5 exhaust. Rotated NA intake, without spacers and Cobb FMIC.
Then there's the de-stroker engined 818R kit car that languishes.
My '08 is at 470 and is quicker than the majority of HPDE/track day cars I come across in advanced. Loads of fun and it's been quite reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?-sti_scda_palmer-jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement