Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best? - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?
Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?

Old 08-15-11, 01:30 PM   #21
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?

I thought this was going to be a track car?

The all GD's have piston issues, the new ones are more common because they happened on stock tunes.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-11, 01:54 PM   #22
Scargo
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road

There's what I want to do and what I can afford right now and compromises that have to be made in order to keep peace at home.

I had hoped for a trailer and a truck. Can't swing it with the wife right now. After bouncing off Armco barrier, like the NASCAR boys did today, she is not very supportive of a pure track car and all that it entails (and me taking things up another notch). I think I'm going to have to sneak up on competitive TT car status. I have to prove I can keep a car in one piece, too.

Old 08-15-11, 02:16 PM   #23
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
There's what I want to do and what I can afford right now and compromises that have to be made in order to keep peace at home.

I had hoped for a trailer and a truck. Can't swing it with the wife right now. After bouncing off Armco barrier, like the NASCAR boys did today, she is not very supportive of a pure track car and all that it entails (and me taking things up another notch). I think I'm going to have to sneak up on competitive TT car status. I have to prove I can keep a car in one piece, too.
That's understandable. I think the cheapest car you can get that fits your needs will be the way to go.

I still vote 05. You can do some basic track prep work, you may be slower then before as I think Safety should be your first mods this time round.

But all and all, you'll be building a good base for future funds.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-11, 04:42 PM   #24
boxtwo
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Fav Mod: Venison front Bumper mod
My Subaru Parts for sale

boxtwo is on a distinguished road

For a GD you are looking at a base class of TTB in NASA. Given that, you have 19 points to play with, plus a couple of hundred pounds of weight. Will you be able to hang with Vettes? Probably not. Will you be competitive in that class? Yes.

Figure on building your car around coilovers such as AST's and Hoosier R6's in a 245/40-17. This will give you some extra points to play with since TTB is based on 265's. With those numbers, you can really start to round out the package quite nicely. This will gain you a great track car after only a few hours of work (brakes, fluids, exhaust if you need to swap the stocker back in there.)

Then comes weight reduction. Read the Anorexic STi journal. LOTS of good bits in there.
07 OBP STi + Journal | NASA-MA #31 TTB | IAG Performance | KNS Brakes | Vibrant Performance | Hawk | Hoosier

Stock 06 Blue Tundra
Favorite ride: 1996 Seagrave Rescue/Engine
Career Firefighter/Paramedic Local 3666

"Driving is the synchronization of vision, analysis, and movement - It is an art."

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-11, 08:49 PM   #25
yman
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: TIRES TIRES TIRES
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yman is an unknown quantity at this point

I vote for you to buy a miata for $1k, drop about $4k in motor/suspension/brakes, and go balls out and never worry about stuffin it.

Meanwhile, buy an 05 STI and use it as a DD/AutoX car. Or go back and forth between the Miata and the STI on DD as they will likely get about the same gas mileage.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-17-11, 09:25 AM   #26
V10Climber
Donating Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: DGM 08 STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

V10Climber is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yman View Post
I vote for you to buy a miata for $1k, drop about $4k in motor/suspension/brakes, and go balls out and never worry about stuffin it.

Meanwhile, buy an 05 STI and use it as a DD/AutoX car. Or go back and forth between the Miata and the STI on DD as they will likely get about the same gas mileage.
Who let this guy in ^? Where are you going to get a miata for 1k that isn't rusted out and going to crumple like a tin can when you stuff it into something?

I say go with the GD. It's a well understood chassis that you can get lots of parts for. There are tons of builds you can look at for ideas. When it comes to a track car start off with a cheap base since you're going to be replacing most of the stuff anyways and if something breaks it's not your DD.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-17-11, 11:41 AM   #27
Scargo
Premium Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by V10Climber View Post
Who let this guy in ^? Where are you going to get a miata for 1k that isn't rusted out and going to crumple like a tin can when you stuff it into something?
You can get a "Spec Miata" very inexpensively! However, they are not fast enough (for me). Only the very best were good competition in the curves and I would pass them on the straights.
As I said in post#20, "I was used to a certain level of performance with my Stage 2 '11. I was hoping for equal or more of a car that could keep up with Caymans, Lotuses, Vettes and the like. I held my own with many of these cars in "advanced" and don't want to go backwards and have to do constant point-bys at that level."

So, Miatas are great for an inexpensive, entry-level racer, but they would bore me. You just go flat out too much of the time, going, "come on baby!" I've been there-done that. At least the Subie can scare me a little, require hard braking and some moderating of the throttle.
I don't mean to disparage those that love to drive Miatas. I've recommended to many that they buy one for the street. I started out in lowly H production...

Old 08-23-11, 08:43 AM   #28
Scargo
Premium Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Just to be clear, will all my aftermarket suspension parts fit on a 2008-2010 GR STI hatchback?
Will they fit anything else that I might be interested in? I am not familiar with any other permutations that are available in the US that use the GR chassis and have the same basic engine.
What about the regular WRX? What makes its engine punier than the STi besides the boost? If I'm going to put an AP on it does it matter, and besides the DAVC is it lacking anything significant?

STI has SI Drive (knob) with 3 power response settings, and DCCD. Is this an option or available on a WRX?

Last edited by Scargo; 08-23-11 at 08:48 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-23-11, 09:29 AM   #29
V10Climber
Donating Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: DGM 08 STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

V10Climber is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just to be clear, will all my aftermarket suspension parts fit on a 2008-2010 GR STI hatchback?
I would think most of your stuff would fit without any issues. Just keep in mind the 2011 STIs had a slightly different front control arm setup.

Quote:
Will they fit anything else that I might be interested in? I am not familiar with any other permutations that are available in the US that use the GR chassis and have the same basic engine.
What about the regular WRX? What makes its engine punier than the STi besides the boost? If I'm going to put an AP on it does it matter, and besides the DAVC is it lacking anything significant?

STI has SI Drive (knob) with 3 power response settings, and DCCD. Is this an option or available on a WRX?
The WRX is using a smaller turbo which makes it less powerful. Whether or not that is significant is up to you.

Some of the suspension stuff will swap over to the WRX but they are 5x100 so the hubs are different. The differentials in the STI are also a different type than the wrx. I can put the power down coming out of corners no problem in my STI however driving my friends stage 2 WRX I get wheelspin on the inside tires coming out of corners. I'm guessing the diffs in the wrx can't keep up. Although it could also be the STI coming out of the corners flatter and more evenly weighted.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-23-11, 11:06 AM   #30
Scargo
Premium Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I appreciate the info. Did not know the hubs were smaller. Knew about the plastic intake, but not the turbo. The diff I knew was different, but you have confirmed that I don't want it.
So, I'm off in a different direction. What about the '08-'10 Hatchbacks? Anyone have anything negative to say about them and why I should stick to an '11 sedan versus getting a hatch? OK, the lower control arms are different on an '11. That hasn't stopped people from modifying the hatches and racing them.
Which is stiffer, lower drag, better weight distribution, etc. and is it enough of a difference to matter to me when I am not going to try and compete at the highest level of TT if and when I do them...

Some of you have been in both sedan and hatch and may have felt a difference in handling. All I know is my sedan handled great with all the Whiteline bushings, swaybars, coil-overs, rear suspension linkage pieces and R-888's on 17" wheels. Whether it is relevant or not, I felt I could keep up with spec Miatas and many other well-setup cars in cornering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement