Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best? - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?
Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?

Old 08-15-11, 05:54 AM   #11
Scargo
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Race a 2005+ GD STI or a GR STI? Which one is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharo View Post
Hey may have test drove an 04 in late 03.
OK, I strained my brain and know it was late '02, so it was a WRX. The salesman made a big deal about its performance. I went out alone and found the brakes suspect and had to saw gears like mad to keep the turbo in play and get anywhere near decent performance out of its 227hp.

According to cars101.com GR's have bigger brakes.

Wheelbase ratios are interesting. In racing, there seems to be a ideal compromise number (for going straight vs tight turning), called the golden mean or the golden section. This is 1.618. The GD's is 1.70 while the GR's is 1.743.
It's pretty easy to get an additional inch in width; at least it was on my '11 GR.
That changes the numbers to 1.648 and 1.686, respectively. Both the GR's and GD's seem to get a little tail happy under hard braking due to the weight bias.
I can see where GD's with a wide track would excel on a tight course.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-11, 06:29 AM   #12
boxtwo
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Fav Mod: Venison front Bumper mod
My Subaru Parts for sale

boxtwo is on a distinguished road

I cannot comment on the GR, on track, as I have not driven one nor seen one run.

A lot of the modability is mute depending on what class (TT) you want to build into. If you are trying to be really competative with a stock (ish) STi, then you are really limited to mods and will need to drop a tire size to gain some points (at least in NASA, IIRC, SCCA has a similar setup in TT.)

The biggest issue I see with the later GD and GR models is the added emissions fluff, hence added weight. As I mentioned in the "Call to Road Recer" thread, I would presume that wheelbase has an impact here, but I am not sure whether the benfit favors the GD or GR chassis (independent of the driver, mods, and track.)

I TT my 2007 in NASA's TTB. It is essentially a "stock" STi with all my mod points spent on tires and suspension. Even as a complete newbie in TT, I was pretty competative.

As for mods (GR v. GD,) there do seem to be more options avaiable for the GD, but that is simply because that chassis has been out longer. More and more GR mods are popping up as companies develop parts. TiC and RCE have come out with GR-specific components and the list is growing. The drawback is that the parts have not been "field tested" as long as for the GD.
07 OBP STi + Journal | NASA-MA #31 TTB | IAG Performance | KNS Brakes | Vibrant Performance | Hawk | Hoosier

Stock 06 Blue Tundra
Favorite ride: 1996 Seagrave Rescue/Engine
Career Firefighter/Paramedic Local 3666

"Driving is the synchronization of vision, analysis, and movement - It is an art."

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-11, 07:07 AM   #13
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

If you're building a track car go 05 STi. It'll be the least expensive, lightest, and have all the bits you need mostly already there.

The $$ saved between the 05 and 11 can do ALOT to the GD. Figure out what class you want to run in and make it fit the rules.

Simple track worth stuff,
Cage, Seats, Harness, Hutchens Device/Hans
KNS BBK
Wheels/Tires
Radiator
Oil Cooler
Fresh Tune

All can be done for less than getting a stock GR.

GD 17x9 +45mm 245/40/17 is the "golden" setup in terms of ease of fitment
GR 18x9.5 +45mm 275/35/18 is the "golden" setup in terms of ease of fitment

The GD likes loads of grip but it isn't needed to be super fast.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-11, 07:42 AM   #14
Scargo
Gold Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm surprised that swaybars and springs (or coil-overs), weren't at the top of your list. Other items make sense. I guess the BBK is because the calipers/seals can't take racing heat?
"17x9 +45mm 245/40/17 is the "golden" setup in terms of ease of fitment"
I was running 255's on 9x17's with 48 offset. Sounds like they would work fine on a GD.

Old 08-15-11, 07:45 AM   #15
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems

My Subaru Parts for sale

Oops Coilovers too. I forgot those. Yeah you'll want those.

17x9 +48mm is a bit too high of an offset especially on coilovers.

BBK is mainly for heat management, the stock rotors/calipers overheat plus the KNS BBK has cheaper brake pads that last longer so win win there.

Also brake ducts, this **** adds up.

Point being you can build an awesome GD track car with an additional $20k ($10k price difference + parts that will get bought for either car).

Last edited by T3h_Clap; 08-15-11 at 07:49 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-11, 08:15 AM   #16
boxtwo
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

I will vouch for stock Brembo's on the GD with ducting. At my level of experience, good rotors and AGGRESIVE pads (DTC70's) with ducting, I can REALLY stop the car. The cooking of the Brembo paint has stopped (or at least leveled-off) and I have yet to experience any fade. Essentially, the stock Brembos with good pads, rotors, and adequate cooling REALLY ups the capability of this setup.

Another thing here as well, is whether or not you want to try to place in a particular race or TT category. BBK's add points, so keep that in mind. If you want to start out racing, figure on trying to stay within your base class and build from there. PM me if you ware interested in some tips to stay low in points.

(The reason I bring up this last point is I did NOT take this into consideration as I modded my car and ended up pulling stuff off to meet the point requirement. e.g. ALK, Exhaust, front lip.)

Brake ducts can be added for less than $200, but if you are going to be doing a real build, get them run through the frame rails.
07 OBP STi + Journal | NASA-MA #31 TTB | IAG Performance | KNS Brakes | Vibrant Performance | Hawk | Hoosier

Stock 06 Blue Tundra

"Driving is the synchronization of vision, analysis, and movement - It is an art."

Last edited by boxtwo; 08-15-11 at 08:18 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-11, 08:31 AM   #17
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems

My Subaru Parts for sale

The main reason for the KNS BBK in my eyes is the cheap brake pads. They are ALOT cheaper.

Although you do make a good point about the added points of a BBK, gotta weigh all that in.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-11, 09:26 AM   #18
boxtwo
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Clap View Post
The main reason for the KNS BBK in my eyes is the cheap brake pads. They are ALOT cheaper.

Although you do make a good point about the added points of a BBK, gotta weigh all that in.
Not to mention better braking with lighter components, better suited for racing! But yeah, MUUUUCH cheaper!

The whole points thing is a mofo.

Stock 06 Blue Tundra

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-11, 09:48 AM   #19
swedishSTile
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 09 Basalt Blk Cayman
Fav Mod: ENDRtune
My Subaru Parts for sale

swedishSTile is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thought: Hatch has a lower polar moment of inertia than does the sedan. In the 08-11 consideration the hatch should rotate better and have a slight edge in cornering over the sedan.

That said I would get a GD. Parts availability and a wealth of industry experience in suspension tuning on that car make it a better choice IMHO.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-11, 12:26 PM   #20
Scargo
Gold Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm starting to lean towards an '06 or '07 sedan. Can't do a hatch as a "racy" car. A sedan is bad enough...
Was it '07 specific that Subaru had a problem with piston ring-land failures when boosted more?

BTW, I am aware of most of the TT rules. Just don't have a clue when and where to use those points.
Another consideration is, I was used to a certain level of performance with my Stage 2 '11. I was hoping for equal or more of a car that could keep up with Caymans, Lotuses, Vettes and the like. I held my own with many of these cars in "advanced" and don't want to go backwards and have to do constant point-bys at that level.
When I whacked my car I was thinking I wanted mid 300 hosepower for the next season. I understand that's about the limit for a reliable, stock engines.
Trimming weight is one way to get the performance. Then there are the weight limits in TT. I'm not ready to gut the car as I want to drive it to the track and tow a small trailer. I don't think I could drive a car for seven hours to a track and have it be really loud with tons of NVH. With my last mods it was near the limit for me, especially with the racing seats.
Lots of trade-offs and lots to consider!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement