IW STi Forum banner

Some pics from Gymkhana Grid

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Sharpointer 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I know its been a month but I have put together a small gallery of my STI at the Ken Block Gymkhana Grid event.

white wheels and no number plates = Friday practice.
silver wheels and number plates = Saturday comp.

Enjoy, I have some vids too if anyone is interested.

all photos are property of their owners, i took some shots of the pits during time off but was pretty busy most of the weekend.

See less See more
#8 ·
The practice wheels are 17" stockers with pirelli p6 all seasons. The other wheels are rpf1 with kumho ecsta xs tires, 17" also. I think my car was the only one not making tons of power. Its a stock motor with turbo back exhaust and stage 2 off the shelf map. Stock clutch and trans. It would spin all 4 pretty easily after the handbrake turns in 1st and with a little more effort in the top of second in the drift sections.

Here are some vids.

VIDEO> Ken Block Gymkhana Grid Invitational – MotorMavens | Car Culture x Motorsports Photography Blog

Justin.tv - gymkhanagrid - Ken Block Invitational Grid Order 2010 Jordan Lipman (3)

YouTube - Tanner Foust vs Jordan Lipman at the Ken Block Gymkhana Grid Invitational 2010, (awd) Eliminations

#16 ·
Not going to lie, I wouldn't count on it. When Tanner loses races he comes up with some excuse as to why he didn't win. I've heard it on more then one occasion. He's awesome non the less though..

OP- Nice try Jordan, Most people would back out against a professional, the fact that its your DD basically stock, you put up a good fight :tup:

#12 ·
I was there and it was awesome to see you compete against $150-500K race cars. I work for a company that sponsors these guys and it was refreshing to you competing against them. Great job. It made me want to go to the parking lot and slide my car around. You made it look easy.

#13 ·
Thanks kendv8s, it wasn't that difficult once the slide was set in. But timing everything just right was really hard. It was 11 shifts from start to finish. Some shifting was while the car was rotating. Not to mention I was super nervous! I did hit some stuff during practice and need a new fender but thats racing... My goal was to be able to drive my car home at the end of the day so i did what i set out for.

Zinda, I went to an open invite gymkhana a few months back just to fool around, not really expecting anything to become of it. They took the three top cars of the 80 or so guys that showed up from that event and invited them to Irwindale to compete with the other preselected pro guys.

#19 ·
Thanks kendv8s, it wasn't that difficult once the slide was set in. But timing everything just right was really hard. It was 11 shifts from start to finish. Some shifting was while the car was rotating. Not to mention I was super nervous! I did hit some stuff during practice and need a new fender but thats racing... My goal was to be able to drive my car home at the end of the day so i did what i set out for.

Zinda, I went to an open invite gymkhana a few months back just to fool around, not really expecting anything to become of it. They took the three top cars of the 80 or so guys that showed up from that event and invited them to Irwindale to compete with the other preselected pro guys.
great job man. don't let anyone tell you otherwise. being sponsored may have been their only advantage over you... well besides being tanner foust.

#18 ·
Not even close to the same time. Driver skill aside, a lot of the limitation for Jordan was his car. He did very well considering, but it isn't a full blown race car and is far from. A mostly stock STI just doesn't have the power to burn them and then accelerate like they do.

#20 · (Edited)
Hmmm..600 hp vs 300, sequential shifting vis manual, stock suspension vs caged rallycross car. Nah I dont think there is a chance, unless something on his car broke catastrophically which is always a possibility. He was 10 seconds faster than me in a 55 second run.

But I didn't go there to win. Just to be involved and have fun. As far as sponsorship goes, I have a day job, and I'm not about to quit it, lol.

All of the pro guys there were super nice, I remembered a lot of them from when I was wrenching for Formula D. Its a 110% commitment of time and money to go racing, away from your family. Thats the hard part. When you get in the car and are able to just drive, thats the easy part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.