HPDE and Open track day anyone? (NJ) - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
HPDE and Open track day anyone? (NJ)
HPDE and Open track day anyone? (NJ)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > HPDE and Open track day anyone? (NJ)

Old 11-07-08, 01:49 PM   #1
brandonl
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: sticky rubber!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brandonl is on a distinguished road
Default HPDE and Open track day anyone? (NJ)

Hoping for a good turn out, some people on nasioc are trying to put something together: Raceway Park Roadcourse Classes - NASIOC

Brandon
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-08, 10:05 AM   #2
theGraySTiG
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: seat time
My Subaru Parts for sale

theGraySTiG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HPDE and Open track day anyone? (NJ)

i don't like what i've seen of that track so far. i'll have to go watch one of these days to really decide if i would feel like i could have fun and be safe there before i would ever commit any money for a day there.

i think there are some improvements in the works to make the track a bit longer, which will make it more fun. but from what i've seen, and from what i've been told by track junkies who have been there, they have too many close walls. a car malfunction has a much greater possibility of being catastrophic in that kind of situation, and after a few reminders of what can happen this past year, i don't think i would be comfortable there.

2005 STi (RIP) | 2007 STi | 2018 Crosstrek
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-18-08, 10:27 AM   #3
brandonl

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Come watch on the 30th and judge for yourself. It is not the longest and widest track around but the amount of risk you assume is totally up to you as a driver. Also keep in mind you are single file around the track 99.9% of the time, there is limited passing and what passing is done is done in the straighter wider sections of the track. A mechanical failure is a possbility that can cause serious damage at almost any track if it happens in the wrong place. I have been to this track 3 times personally and I am not saying it is a world class facility, but it is close and reasonably priced, and again, your comfort level hinges on your actions behind the wheel not matter what track you race at.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-08, 10:45 AM   #4
theGraySTiG
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

definitely reasonably priced and close. i am hoping NASA NE goes there next season, since I was told it was a possibility and I volunteer with them. i would like to see for myself, but i won't be able to make the 11/30 date. please post any photos or in-car footage you manage to find from the event, as I would be interested in seeing more of what the facility has to offer.

i understand that HPDEs limit the passing. i have done several since i got my car a year ago. and i also understand that you can decide how hard to push your car, limiting your own risk, and that a mechanical failure can be catastrophic at any track...but walls always increase that risk. i have driven a good bit at Pocono, and braking from over 120 with the wall very close by or heading towards a wall is definitely a big risk. but there have been some eye-opening accidents for me this past year, so I am going to be choosing where I drive very carefully from here on out.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-18-08, 11:11 AM   #5
brandonl

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I will post some pics and I will try to get some in car footage also. My camera leaves much to be desired but I will give it a shot. I didnt want to come off as telling you things you already knew, that was more for the people that may be reading this that have not done an HPDE before. If you are involved with NASA NE, you should talk to Brian Casella, he has a lot to do with NASA NE/PDA and also instructs at Englishtown.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-18-08, 12:05 PM   #6
theGraySTiG
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Brian is actually the one who mentioned possibly getting us over there. I look forward to any footage...i am more interested in seeing the course they have your running now than a high quality movie. but i'm never opposed to watching some high-quality racing video, either

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-18-08, 06:09 PM   #7
JRS-STI
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 04 Black STI #777
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

JRS-STI is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonl View Post
I will post some pics and I will try to get some in car footage also. My camera leaves much to be desired but I will give it a shot. I didnt want to come off as telling you things you already knew, that was more for the people that may be reading this that have not done an HPDE before. If you are involved with NASA NE, you should talk to Brian Casella, he has a lot to do with NASA NE/PDA and also instructs at Englishtown.
Hey guys I just came back from NJMP and had a great time running w/NASA I toke First place on Sat, and broke a track record in the rain and won the race on Sunday too w/another track record!!!!! here is a link to some of the race last weekend for you guys that are not familiar w/this Track !!!!!

YouTube - NASA NJMP SUNDAY`S RACE THUNDER 2

have a great time !!!!!!!!!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-18-08, 06:15 PM   #8
theGraySTiG
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

congrats, but that is a different new track in NJ. funny that 2 popped up at the same time, but I'm not complaining!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement