IW STi Forum banner

2011 DGM STi -> 2013 Audi A4 -> 2014 Audi S4

GR Hatch: 
46K views 176 replies 28 participants last post by  jjhoagland 
#1 · (Edited)
After owning her for 1 year:

The time has finally come and I have ordered a new STi just the way I want it. As I'm sure many of you out there have seen, the used market for them is so strong, that there are not many "deals" to be had on '08 or newer STi's... So after months and months and months of searching autotrader, craigslist, local and not-so-local dealer pages, I bit the bullet and ordered a 2011 DGM 5-Door STi from Huffman Subaru here in Kentucky. Robin was the sales manager that assisted me through everything, and I would highly recommend her to anyone. She was very very knowledgeable and promises frequent updates as the my order status/location.

Since I was 16 I have wanted an STi but they have always been way out of my price range. My first car was a '97 Celica GT, then a '97 Jeep Wrangler, '97 Honda Prelude (awesome car, did a lot to it), 2001 BMW 535i, 2007 350z, 2008 Civic Si, and finally my current car, a 2008 350z. This STi will be my first ever new car, and I am so glad I have been patient and saved for it. I have also had 5 motorcycles ('97 Honda NightHawk, '04 Yamaha F6, '04 Yamaha R6, '07 Yamaha R6 (Blue), and recently sold my '07 Yamaha R6 Raven).

I landed on DGM instead of SWP for the hatch, and I'm glad that was my final choice. If AW was still a color option, I would have jumped on it though...

I will be adding a ton of pictures as soon as my '11 arrives and update constantly from that point on. I have been searching the forums for what feels like forever, and couldn't be happier that I soon will officially be a part of the Subaru family =)

****UPDATE: as of Monday the dealership called me 3 days early and said my car had just arrived. When I went to pick it up, it was a 4 door, NOT THE 5-DOOR THAT I ORDERED!!!!! Subaru messed up big time because I saw the order form from the dealer and it clearly said 5-Door DGM. Long story short, they located a brand new hatch in Detroit, Michigan and overnighted it for me. They honored the base price even though this hatch has wheel locks and auto-dimming mirror. So happy that it's here now that I don't even care about the mix up. There is no possible way I could have waited another few months though... 11 miles on her when I pulled out of the lot!

(For some reason my 7 pictures are too big and I cannot resize... so added to Flickr!!!) Let me know what you all think, I'm beyond excited to FINALLY have my Subie =)

PICTURES:

Flickr: jjhoagland's Photostream

It's the fastest car I've ever been in and I couldn't be happier. I'm following strict break-in of shifting @ 4K RPMs or lower and see myself getting to that 1,000 mile mark in less than a week. I'm finding any excuse to run out for an errand or to just go drive because it's SO much better than my 350z and 1,000x more fun!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: 2011 DGM STi

MOD LIST:

Engine/Exhaust:
Nameless Performance Axle-Back Exhaust (gone- traded)
Invidia Q300 3" CBE (sold)
Invidia N1 Regular 3" SS Catback
Cobb Catted DP--> one day after warranty coverage lapses
Cobb AP
Cobb SF intake + air box (sold 10/6/11)
AEM intake

Audio:
12" single sub mounted in hatch
800w amp

Exterior:
DGM side moldings
17% tint on all windows
JDM yellow fog overlays
Nitro Fish sticker on bottom left of rear window (saw it on another member's journal, and immediately ordered!)

Interior:
Duracon Shift Knob 6MT (gone temporarily- Swapped for STi weighted knob)
500g Flossy Redhead Shorty Knob
Trunk Tray
Subaru all weather floor mats
Black Prova-Si knob

#6 ·

February.
Your gonna like it. Picked up mine 2 1/2 weeks ago and it is addictive.
I am so excited! We are having snow and ice storms right now and my poor Z just doesn't cut it in this weather... Plus I'm really nervous about sliding into something so close to when I'll be trading it in toward the STi haha

Hope you're loving yours. Have you put it sport sharp at all or are you going to stay in I all the way through 1,000 mi?

#7 ·

Did you order any options? I also ordered (on 11/15) a '11 DGM 5-door but I should be receiving it in a few weeks. Can't wait!
It comes pretty well equipped and since our 5-doors come with BBS and fogs, that would have been one of the only things I would have wanted. I already have a windshield mounted GPS so don't need to drop $1,800 on that. What about you? I eventually will order the door side moldings, those look great installed.

#8 ·

My thought as well. The 5-doors come pretty well-equipped already. I also didn't order the navigation. I got invoice pricing on everything (car and accessories) so I got the seatback and rear nets, cargo tray, mirror with homelink, wheel locks (kinda regretting it but only $40 so oh well), and asked them to install the STS if it becomes available.

#9 ·

My thought as well. The 5-doors come pretty well-equipped already. I also didn't order the navigation. I got invoice pricing on everything (car and accessories) so I got the seatback and rear nets, cargo tray, mirror with homelink, wheel locks (kinda regretting it but only $40 so oh well), and asked them to install the STS if it becomes available.
That's great! The dealership came in a little under invoice for my car and hopefully I can ask for some things like the cargo tray and other mats as a Christmas/Birthday present next year. Should have gotten wheel locks, didn't even think about it. Something I can grab after it gets here though I guess

#10 ·

Just an update...
I am really liking the car, but it is definitely going to be a weekend/errands kinda car for me. My Volvo is just nice to take to work and be relaxed in.

I didn't get any factory options on the car.
Dealer installed options were the tint, short-throw shifter, and trunk tray.

The tint was done when I picked it up and the short-throw shifter was done on Dec. 14/10.
I am very dissapointed with the dealership because it took them almost 6 hours for the install. I am pretty sure I could have done it myself much quicker.
They told me they will call me when they get the trunk tray.

I don't know what you guys mean by invoice (I am hoping it is not what the dealer pays), but I paid full retail with no hope of a discount. I didn't pay for any of the dealer installed options though so that is a little bright spot.

#11 · (Edited)

Just an update...
I am really liking the car, but it is definitely going to be a weekend/errands kinda car for me. My Volvo is just nice to take to work and be relaxed in.

I didn't get any factory options on the car.
Dealer installed options were the tint, short-throw shifter, and trunk tray.

The tint was done when I picked it up and the short-throw shifter was done on Dec. 14/10.
I am very dissapointed with the dealership because it took them almost 6 hours for the install. I am pretty sure I could have done it myself much quicker.
They told me they will call me when they get the trunk tray.

I don't know what you guys mean by invoice (I am hoping it is not what the dealer pays), but I paid full retail with no hope of a discount. I didn't pay for any of the dealer installed options though so that is a little bright spot.
From some research I've done it looks like the following is true for a 2011 5-door with no additional options---
Dealer Cost: $33,674
Invoice Price: $34,754
MSRP: $36,720

My 2011 came in a little under invoice. I've heard that there is more wiggle room on the 4-doors and some dealers are supposedly offering up to $1,000 off invoice for the sedans (they still make $$ though in their 'service fee' or '$250 - $450 document fee' or whatever they choose to call it). I'm very happy with the price and the trade value they offered for my Z... Honestly I would have been still been happy even if it was costing more than it is- I just want my car!!

That's awesome that you already have yours. I am painting/stenciling a big STi logo in the middle of our garage wall this weekend. My wife thinks I'm nuts haha

#12 ·

^ yup, those numbers look right.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal + the trade-in. I'm buying mine outright, no trade-ins. I really didn't mind paying invoice because there was no hassle by the salesperson. But I do have $250 voucher/coupon/rebate from visiting the Subaru booth at the LA Auto Show. :D

Quite frankly, the longer the wait, the better. I've been saving up for a down payment during the wait.

btw, I don't know about the side moldings. One part of me says they look fine and protect the door from dings while the other part says "BLEEEEHHHHH moldings!" :D

#14 ·

congrats! I got mine this week as well (1/18) and have put 100+ miles on it already, driving it around and to and from work. Hopefully I have enough light to put my RallyArmor flaps on it tonight before I go cruise down Pacific Coast Highway.

#15 ·

congrats! I got mine this week as well (1/18) and have put 100+ miles on it already, driving it around and to and from work. Hopefully I have enough light to put my RallyArmor flaps on it tonight before I go cruise down Pacific Coast Highway.
That's awesome! We're supposed to get 5 inches of snow today and I'm a little nervous with the summer tires...
Favorite discovery so far inside is playing my iPhone songs through the bluetooth without having to plug anything in- Radio off most of the time to just listen to the engine though haha

#16 ·

Well the 2nd day I had the car we got a TON of snow and the summer tires seemed to do fine... I'm sure winter tires would have been better, but I was able to tear through the streets (not recklessly of course) and never lost traction or slid out. Very very impressed with the car so far! Have been averaging 18 mpg so far since the first fill up.

#22 ·

lol, enjoy dude, I stored mine for winter at 1780km's. Ne3edless to say i was pretty good with the break in till 1600km's but that last 200 km's I pounded on her in S#, Ah car felt like a car and not a lemon lol :)
What is your winter car then? I can't imagine storing mine, I have loved the AWD in all the snow we've had recently. Can't see myself ever voluntarily going back to a RWD car year round. 400 miles to go until I can have a little more fun...

#20 ·

haha, nice photos. I'm still waiting to get mine tinted but I'm not gonna go very dark (30%-40% on the rears and near invisible on the fronts). The fuzz in CA likes targeting cars with dark tint so I'd staying away from it.

Ever thought of getting Rally Armor flaps? I think it adds to the look of the car and protects the paint as well.

#21 ·

haha, nice photos. I'm still waiting to get mine tinted but I'm not gonna go very dark (30%-40% on the rears and near invisible on the fronts). The fuzz in CA likes targeting cars with dark tint so I'd staying away from it.

Ever thought of getting Rally Armor flaps? I think it adds to the look of the car and protects the paint as well.
I couldn't stand riding around the first two days without tint. It felt like I was in a fishbowl... Thankfully the cops here don't care much about tint or I would have gone a little lighter. I've definitely thought about RA flaps, just not sure I'm sold yet on the look. I wish they were just a little bit less obtrusive from the wheel wells (which would probably defeat the whole purpose).

And I'm not sure what direction I want to go in mod-wise. A nice deep & quiet CBE would probably be first on my list, and some type of speaker & small woofer upgrade is a close second. Stock stereo SUCKS!

#36 ·

good shot of the yellow fogs in reflection:

Side note: can anyone quickly tell me what I'm doing wrong above? no matter how i modify it I cannot get the pic to show up. (and yes, I have read the stickies, just having issues with it! thanks =))

#32 · (Edited)

Ran in to one of the only other 2011 STi's I've seen around Louisville...

IMG_2591 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It was a nice WRB Limited with some fun stuff already done to it. AOS, Tial BOV/Recirc, catless downpipe, single exit exhaust (loudest one I've ever heard in person, but sounded AWESOME), and a bunch of other goodies as well. Definitely going to go to the March 27th local meet here and try and meet some more subie owners

#35 ·

Hey, it's the dude with the sedan from the other day, Gary. I don't know what kind of oil you run but the 5w30 turns to water quick, don't remember if I told you that the other day or not... I'm throwing some 10w40 in tomorrow if all goes well and I'll hit you up on Friday, my number is at the bottom of the emails so.

#38 ·

Hey, it's the dude with the sedan from the other day, Gary. I don't know what kind of oil you run but the 5w30 turns to water quick, don't remember if I told you that the other day or not... I'm throwing some 10w40 in tomorrow if all goes well and I'll hit you up on Friday, my number is at the bottom of the emails so.
Perfect, looking forward to seeing your updates on Friday!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.