Crosstrek AWDfreak's 2014 Subaru XV 5-speed manual - Page 16 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
AWDfreak's 2014 Subaru XV 5-speed manual
AWDfreak's 2014 Subaru XV 5-speed manual
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Crosstrek AWDfreak's 2014 Subaru XV 5-speed manual

Old 03-24-19, 07:48 PM   #151
AWDfreak
lurking Subaru whore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Primitive Racing skid plates, Endless MX72PLUS brake pads
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

AWDfreak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AWDfreak's 2014 Subaru XV 5-speed manual

I've been driving it around as usual, which means often times a bit spirited.

Recent change was a reduction and reorganization of equipment carried, as well as an inclusion of a full-size spare tire conversion in place of where the original equipment compact spare once occupied.

However, this now renders my Cusco rear strut tower brace non-functional (the rear strut tower brace blocks the area where a full-size spare tire would normally be located, it squeezes down on the compact spare tire as-is).

Big news is, though, the Subaru XV will be getting new tires (4 new tires) and a new full-size spare tire to take the place of the old used one I bought a while back. Even better news is that I got a Setina pushbar and Quik-Latch products shipping in.

I'm also trying to convince a shop to custom fabricate integrated rock rails, fuel tank skid plate, and center floor skid plate.

Stay tuned. Just don't expect results immediately.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-19, 12:28 AM   #152
AWDfreak
lurking Subaru whore

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Having fun with other fellow Subaru crossover drivers...

Especially a certain fellow who has lots in store for his Subaru XV Crosstrek...

I finally did the full-size spare tire conversion. It took me only, oh, an absurd 5 years of having the vehicle to actually get it done.

I even reorganized the cargo on top of the load floor. It's helluva lot cleaner.

The Subaru rear cargo tray now sits all weird with the full-size spare tire, since the load floor is higher than stock for USA-market models. I'm guessing countries which got the full-size spare tire don't have this problem for their rear cargo tray.

With the full-size spare tire conversion... the Cusco rear strut tower brace has had to be removed, as it sits right on top of the compact OEM spare tire. The mentioned fabrication shop will custom fabricate a new rear strut tower brace that will be able to use the old Cusco hardware.

No surprise, I also went out to have some real American fun with a fellow former servicemember.

The guns in their cases fit snugly in the back, just right.

And after shooting my pump-action shotgun in the wilderness, I went for a scenic mountain pass drive. Big mistake on a weekend with lots of traffic and clueless/incompetent drivers around me ruining the fun I was having.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-13-19, 05:44 PM   #153
AWDfreak
lurking Subaru whore

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So once again, I'm not driving my car.

It's getting quite a few custom fabricated parts, almost all exclusively protection for off-road use and other heavy-duty and harsh use.

Future plans in question are here:
Quote:
* custom fuel tank skid plate
I almost ripped my fuel tank open while off-roading. Inspiration was primarily from the Trailhawk-badged Jeep crossovers. The Jeep Renegade Trailhawk in particular (primarily competitor to Subaru XV/Subaru Crosstrek) is the primary inspiration.

* custom integrated-style rock rails (replaces exterior rocker panel black plastic trim)
Inspiration was primarily from the Trailhawk-badged Jeep crossovers, which Mopar offers OE-grade aftermarket rock rails that one can purchase from the dealer. The Jeep Renegade Trailhawk in particular (primarily competitor to Subaru XV/Subaru Crosstrek) is the primary inspiration.

* custom center floor skid plate
Inspiration was primarily from the Trailhawk-badged Jeep crossovers. The Jeep Renegade Trailhawk in particular (primarily competitor to Subaru XV/Subaru Crosstrek) is the primary inspiration, which does have this skid plate around the center of its floorboard. The intended mounting point is the center exhaust heatshield shround, or whatever it's called.

* custom rear strut tower brace (to accommodate full-size spare)
The Cusco rear strut tower brace is NOT compatible with a full-size spare, so I had to remove the bar, but left the rest of the hardware on the struts. The new unit that will be fabricated will have to angle over the full-size spare mounted where the compact temporary spare tire used to be mounted.

* custom-mounted Setina PB100 push bar
After several instances of where a pushbar would have significantly helped me in situations I found myself in, I'm going to get a police pushbar to improve my vehicle's ability to help other vehicles, as well as gives rescue vehicles an additional option to recover my vehicle in a vehicle-stuck situation.

* Cusco Reinforced Differential Carrier 6A1 489 A
This will replace the factory rear differential carrier to improve power delivery and reduce driveline slop and losses. NVH will suffer.

* Subaru XV logos on the doors 93079FJ100
The inner-ricer in me wants there to be XV logos on the side. Even with the body side moldings, it looks naked to me. My bank account will suffer such wasteful spending.

* Subaru Symmetrical AWD stickers on side windows 91572FE040
Look at my username, it's pretty self-explanatory. My bank account will suffer such wasteful spending.

* STI motorsport-grade engine and transmission mounts (trans mounts only compatible with manual transmissions)
- shifter bushing B0220FG300
- transmission mount D1010FE020
- pitching stopper/pitch stop mount D1040FE000
- D1010FE110 (RH) D1010FE120 (LH) *requires (2) nuts per mount, 902380007

Reduced engine and transmission assembly movement, reduce risk of bushing damage and failure, improve power delivery by reducing drivetrain losses. NVH will suffer, but durability and driving experience will improve.

* 4th generation Subaru WRX STI rear stabilizer bar (VA-chassis) 20451VA000 w/ 2 20464VA000 bushings
I want less body roll, and want to make the rear end a little more tail happy.

* RalliTEK 1/4" lift Sport springs
These will function more like the overload springs I initially purchased the Mann Engineering springs for. They should also provide significantly-better body control for spirited/emergency driving and reduce suspension sagging due to heavy loads over the stock springs.

* BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 summer high performance tires
I want to enjoy the twisty stuff and racetracks before I move out of California to a free state, while retaining a M+S rated tread. Yes, this is a summer tires with a mud and snow rated tread pattern. It's the standard Land Rover uses for choosing their OEM tires, even the summer tires, to fulfill their "standard" for what tires are deemed capable enough to exhibit every Land Rover's off-road capability. Once this summer tire is worn and/or damaged, I'll get an all-weather tire, as listed below.

* Toyo Tires Celsius CUV (after summer high performance tires worn/damaged)
I like the versatility of my Subaru subcompact crossover, my tires should reflect that too, with 3PMSF certified capability. The Toyo Tires Celsius CUV features deeper tread depth than regular Toyo Tires Celsius for better lifespan and off-road capability.

For those expecting quick results, don't hold your breath. As previous, it may take months until I get back into driving it on a regular basis. But for now, it has been in the hands of a trusted custom fabrication shop for weeks now, and possibly longer...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-19, 07:54 PM   #154
Voodoo Rufus
Platinum Member

Fav Mod: Driver Mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Voodoo Rufus will become famous soon enough

Skids and rails! Nice! Lots of goodies on the way for you.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement