Non-Subaru: neanderthal racing's 09 GTR - A NEW LONGBLOCK and 1200hp - last page - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
neanderthal racing's 09 GTR - A NEW LONGBLOCK and 1200hp - last page
neanderthal racing's 09 GTR - A NEW LONGBLOCK and 1200hp - last page
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Non-Subaru: neanderthal racing's 09 GTR - A NEW LONGBLOCK and 1200hp - last page

Old 10-27-12, 12:55 PM   #1
Neanderthal Racing
'do right & fear no one"
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: $20. mudflaps from auto zone
My Subaru Parts for sale

Neanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really nice
Default neanderthal racing's 09 GTR - A NEW LONGBLOCK and 1200hp - last page

it's been a long time since i did an update on either of my cars. i'll post a more lengthy update on the last page.

the car has 98k on the od. last may i had my 3rd tranny failure and third rebuild. while i was still in my driveway the car went into safe mode, reverse and 2nd gear were unavailable. showed a code indicating a "bent or stuck shifter fork". it's usually a solenoid issue but when jack's opened the box one of the sliders had exploded and took out the shifter and valve body for that side of the trans. the ONLY transmission part Jack's hadn't upgraded previously were the sliders because upgrades weren't available then. jack's repaired the box and we added a ppg gearset. it's got a lovely whine in every gear. we should be good to 2000hp.

Last week i dropped the car off with Baker Performance in md for a new racing block, headwork and cams. specs are below. we're also redoing the interior. i'm expecting 800, 1000 and 1200hp settings.

1/8 mile drag racing at cobelt airport in summer '11. i couldn't use launch control with all the power we are making. we got some heat soak from the big turbos by the last race and it started pulling timing. it didn't matter. there were about 75-100 cars racing. no car in any class was faster.

Drag racing @ CAVU - YouTube

Shortblock:
baker performance shortblock package
- Manley 3.8 Pistons
- Manley Turbo Tuf Rods with upgraded wrist pins
- OE Nissan Engine Gaskets set
- OE Nissan Head/Main Bolts
- OE Nissan Main Rod and Thrust Bearings

Heads:
baker performance
- Full Port of intake and exhaust to match up ported upper manifold
- GSC Intake and Exhaust Valves
- GSC Brass valve guides
- GSC springs with titanium keepers
- Tomei cams
- ARP Custom Age 625 Plus Head Studs
- OEM Head Gasket Set

Turbocharger & Induction:
- aam t800r gt800 (2871) turbochargers
- aam hp wg actuators
- turbosmart e-boost2 sleeper
- turbosmart duel port bovs (w element tuning tweaked springs)

Intake:
- ets race intercooler
- aam v2 lower intakes

Exhaust:
- amm downpipes with high flow cats
- aam resonated mid pipes
- aam premium adjustable (volume-controlled) rear exhaust

ECU Tuning / Fuel:
- v3 and accesstuner race software with tcm
- speed density conversion
- walbro 255l fp
- dynamic 1000cc fuel injectors

Drivetrain / Clutch:
- jack's transmissions "drag" rebuild; details here:
Drag 800, Complete Rebuild Service – Jacks Transmissions LLC
- greddy transmission cooler
- PPG gearset

Suspension:
- penske 7500 coilovers w/ spherical upper mounts/eibach springs
- stillen front and rear sway bars
- "square" tire setup (dunlap gt sport maxx 285/30-20 x 4)
- performance alignment

Brakes:
- stoptech two piece rotors
- hawk street/race pads

Driven daily ~ 12k+ miles a year. currently has 98k on the od.

Estimated cost to date: 160k+

Dyno: WAS 623+whp at 23 psi / 585 whp at 18 psi
NOW - ? (800whp currently)

Wrenches:
- ecu and tcm tuning by phil grabow at element tuning
- engine and performance work: baker performance, gaithersburg, md
- transmission: jack's transmissions, colorado springs, co.
- routine stuff (electronic, tires, etc.) - poughkeepsie nissan

Transmission, Suspension and Traction Control Mode Settings:

- the transmission is switched to race mode as soon as the engine and transmission reach operating temps.
- tc is almost always switched off. even at 18 psi, the power overwhelms the tc system and it intervenes. in slippery conditions i leave it in 'normal' or 'race'.

My Motivation:

the gtr was my consolation prize to myself for losing cutn edg as my daily driver. it got to a point where it became impossible to find someone willing to do a state inspection on it. actually, i found a shop but they got busted before i could get it into their shop. it was probably a blessing in disguise, but i have to tell you, losing cutn edg as my dd was disturbing after i put so much time and money into it. a street driven race car was the whole premise.

this gunmetal gtr was one of the first gtrs in this area of ny. it is a "base" model; i.e. without side curtain airbags, heated seats and 2 more speakers. the base gtr wore dunlap sp tires, which were cutting 2-3 sec off of the lap times of the premium gtrs wearing protenza reo70s. 40 lbs lighter, better tires and i'm deaf, anyway. the only thing i really wanted out of the premium package was those heated seats.

"The Negotiation":

when the car was released late in 08, the msrp on the base gtr was 70k. dealers were getting 90-100k depending on where you live. in the summer of 09 on the night i walked in to the dealer they were going for 112k on ebay. very few people in the northeast had received their car yet.

i walked in. i sat down with the sales manager. i asked, "how much?" he wanted 20 over. i said, "i'm prepared to write a check right now for 10k". he thought about it and said, "i'm going to need 14 over." i told him i would think about it and walked out the door. i got in my truck and while i was pulling out he ran out the door to stop me and said, "we'll take 10 over." i paid 80k in total.

as it turns out, i had inadvertantly walked in at the very last minute of a deadline that nissan had placed on its dealerships to sell their allotment quota of 3 gtrs in advance of actually shipping them to the dealer. if the dealership was unable to sell its 3rd gtr by the end of the day in question, not only would it lose its special designation as a gtr-qualified dealership, it could it not get another one; the buyers of the first two they were able to sell could lose their choice of color and option preferences. as luck would have it, i walked in at the right time to have the dealer by the short hairs.

Mod History:

cobb had a singapore gtr in its possession for over a year before they made it to the u.s. and had accessport ready in advance of their arrival in the states. we did a protune at xxtuning in ct just after 1000 mi. the tune was done remotely by cobb in utah. we'd do a pull, send the data to utah by email. cobb's tech would tweek the tune and send it back. this went back and forth for a couple of hours. we made about 435 whp on their dyno, if i remember correctly.

not long thereafter, phil (element tuning) told me about aam's turbo kit and supporting mods. for point of reference: the gtr's 2 stock turbos are ihi units nearly identical to the sti's except that the hot side is casted into the stock exhaust manifold casting. aam used a cnc machine and a tool long enough to reach in far enough to carve out the two hot side castings to accommodate two 30r-sized garrett bb cartridges. instead of two sti-sized 16g turbos, it now has two 30rs. i can't recall the exact mileage when element tuning did the work but we probably had about 20k on the odometer. we eventually replaced the stock rotors with dba two-piece rotors and hawk pads.

the only time i raced it was summer of 2011 over a 1/8 mi on a local airport runway. the pic up top and below was taken at the event. moroney's harley davidson and romar speed shop hosted. we had about 100 cars competing in a bunch of different classes. i was in 'modern muscle" facing a viper, some vets, a stock gtr (with a complete douchbag on steroids driving it), a saleen mustang etc. i destroyed everything in my class and won 120.00 for my effort. no other car in any class would have come close. we owned the joint.

in june i had a "minor" drivetrain failure (failures to be more exact). we towed the car down to element tuning for the repairs and some upgrades while we were there. a clip involved in the fwd portion of the awd system failed. phil also found a boken driveshaft yoke bearing. we used the opportunity to beef up the clutch and drivetrain components to handle the power we're making. we also added a transmission cooler.

November 2013: i had an tranny failure with the clutch baskets in november 2013 at 60k. newburgh nissan pulled the tranny and we sent it off to jack's transmissions in colorado for their "drag" rebuild. there is a link in the mod list above. the rebuild went very fast and tranny was shipped back to Nissan for installation.

august 6, 2014: Nissan wasn't able to track down an onslaught of engine and tranny codes which developed in the spring. I trailered the car down to phil at element tuning for a fresh engine and tranny tune using cobbs street race software (and new stoptech rotors and hawk pads). we ended up replacing both maf sensors which were completely toasted.

just as we was finishing the tune, I decided to replace the oem intercoolers with an ets racing unit and we swapped out the dws for dynamic 1000 cc injectors. as of this writing, we are waiting for the intercooler. stay tuned for the numbers. should be nuts.

edit.
We switched from maf to speed density. after the ets ic was installed, phil wrapped up the tuning and reflashed the tcm. we now have 3 boost profiles on the e-boost2 instead of 2; 17, 22 and 26psi.

i took the familiar trailways bus, acela express, dc metro train down to gaithersburg to pick up the car on 9/6. i made the 5 hour 42 min trip back to ny in 4 hours and thirty even.

we never got it on a dyno this time, but i will say this. it is faster; much faster and smoother; much smoother. the power flows in a mind blowing rush. the jack's-built drag upgraded transmission is like butter.

if it made 623whp on altered atmosphere's dyno in its previous iteration it is making at least 700 at the wheels as it sits right now. there's an all wheel dyno on the poukeepsie side of the hudson. i'm curious enough to check it out.

What's It's Like to Drive:

my gtr is the exact opposite of my sti race car. they both move you forward at eyeball watering speed but they do it so completely differently. cutn edg is mind numbingly brutal; a cacophony of sounds and sights. you are working hard. it involves every bit of your attention. the car is definately working, too; all 152 cu inches of it. it's not that the gtr feels big (substantial, perhaps) but the sti feels smaller and lighter because it is. you can feel its every mechanical function in your bones.

the gtr is so astonishingly p e a c e f u l. you're not working. the car doesn't really seem to be working but it must be working because it sounds so unreal and i just went from 70 to 120 on an interstate in what seems like a millisecond. time moves differently in it. you find yourself going, wow, did that just happen? a lot. its twin clutch sequential gearbox and awd system turns whatever hp you're generating into near continuous and eerily smooth forward momentum; uninterupted by fall-off between upshifts (think, WOO-WOO-WOO-WOO-100). think it and it's already doing it. it's something to experience. i hope everybody reading this does.
Attached Thumbnails
neanderthal racing's 09 GTR - A NEW LONGBLOCK and 1200hp - last page-gtr_detail-jpg  

stupid bruce tricks:

Last edited by Neanderthal Racing; 05-03-19 at 01:12 PM.
Likes 6 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-12, 06:53 PM   #2
jasv11
HowTo Contributor
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: 10.85 at 129.43
My Subaru Parts for sale

jasv11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: neanderthal racing's 09 stg 4 gtr

Welcome back!!

motor&tuned by www.innovativetuning.com
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-28-12, 04:52 AM   #3
Neanderthal Racing
'do right & fear no one"

My Subaru Parts for sale

Neanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really nice

It's really great to be back, jas. Thanks.

Posted from Iwsti.com App for Android

stupid bruce tricks:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-12, 02:13 PM   #4
ninjaboy76
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: '15 WRX
My Subaru Parts for sale

ninjaboy76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: neanderthal racing's 09 stg 4 gtr sleeper

Wow man long time no see. Nice ride. Enjoy.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-28-12, 03:05 PM   #5
SabreOfSD
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: www.dcawd.com
Fav Mod: Hydra
My Subaru Parts for sale

SabreOfSD is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds incredible!
WRB 04 STI: 92.5% Stock
More info here
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-28-12, 03:50 PM   #6
drizzt
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Car: 2017 Camaro SS
Fav Mod: torque on demand V8
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

drizzt is on a distinguished road

That car is insane! And gtr and "sleeper" can never be in the same sentence! hehe
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-28-12, 04:05 PM   #7
meffie
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Dom 3r
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

meffie is on a distinguished road

Subscribed!

My Journal
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-28-12, 07:00 PM   #8
decodeddiesel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 05 STi CGM
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

decodeddiesel is an unknown quantity at this point

I admire these cars so much, but I know so little about them. The exhaust manifold + hot side sounds very interesting. Do you have any pics of the modifications?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-28-12, 07:45 PM   #9
Neanderthal Racing
'do right & fear no one"

My Subaru Parts for sale

I'll get an engine bay shot up but most of The work except for the bovs is pretty hidden. That would be the sleeper part. (isfh)

aam probably has pics of their part kits on their site.

stupid bruce tricks:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-29-12, 06:56 AM   #10
decodeddiesel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 05 STi CGM
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

decodeddiesel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal Racing View Post
I'll get an engine bay shot up but most of The work except for the bovs is pretty hidden. That would be the sleeper part. (isfh)

aam probably has pics of their part kits on their site.

Makes sense haha.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement