My '06 BMW Z4MR - 8/19/2010 Mod number 3 done - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
My '06 BMW Z4MR - 8/19/2010 Mod number 3 done
My '06 BMW Z4MR - 8/19/2010 Mod number 3 done
Go Back   STI Forums > > > My '06 BMW Z4MR - 8/19/2010 Mod number 3 done

Old 07-23-10, 01:49 PM   #1
JPWEraser
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Do Luck CF
My Subaru Parts for sale

JPWEraser is on a distinguished road
Default My '06 BMW Z4MR - 8/19/2010 Mod number 3 done

So I decided that my highly modified S2000, while it was a really beautiful and fun car, was just too impractical from a maintenance standpoint - I am engaged now and will be getting married and buying a house sooner rather than later and funds will be routed more to that instead of modifying and maintaining a highly modified car. My future father in law has a BMW Z4 and at first I didn't really like it at first. Granted, I had never driven a BMW before at all so I had nothing for them or against them. Since I started dating his daughter last year, I've taken care of his car for him keeping it clean and all. I probably averaged washing it at least once and sometimes twice a week so it was very clean. This meant he was really open to lending me the keys to take it for a ride if I wanted. After having driven the car a lot, I came to several conclusions: I now really liked the car. I wish it had more power, better seats, bigger brakes, and a more sporty feel overall. Then a client of mine sets up a detailing appointment up with his new Z4M - cool. After working on his car, I saw that there was in fact a M version of the car that had more power, bigger brakes, better seats, and a much more sporty feel but... it was a coupe. Great looking car but I am in love with having a convertible. So I thought to myself... hmm, if only the Z4M came in roadster form... I have been kinda eyeballing M3s for a while. The new E92 is killer expensive and the older E46 just wasn't what I was really looking for in terms of style and appearance. After doing some research, there is a Z4M Roadster after all. Perfect! M3 power in a Z4 style roadster. After getting the S2000 to a new happy owner, I went on the lookout for a Z4M to call my own. After a few months of being on the lookout, I ran across a 2006 in white with red interior. The car had just over 14k miles and from what I could tell on Autocheck, Carfax, amd from the pictures I had available, the car was pretty much nearly perfect. After some negociations, the dealer and I came to agreement on price and conditions. I got a friend of mine to roadtrip with me from extreme north east TN where we both live all the way to Memphis... basically just about as far as you can drive in the state of Tennessee. After a smooth transaction, the car was now mine and I couldn't be happier. I love nearly everything about it which is great - maybe the mod bug won't bite quite as bad this time around. Anyhow - on to pics...

Here are some from the dealer:

And a couple when I finally saw the car at the dealership:

On 450 mile road trip home:

And finally, at home getting its first detail - the wheels were dusted quite heavily:
Before:

During the Sonax soak:

And after:

Also polished the exhaust tips up:

The only things that I have plans to do relatively soon are to get some wheels - I am trying to decide between some VMR CSL reps (19x8.5/19x10), some OEM ZCPs, or some Forgestar F14s. I also would like to swap to OEM aero skirts and add a wind screen of some sort. Anyhow, I look forward to lots of fun times with this car - more to come!

My Journals: 2006 Z4MR | 2005 STi

Last edited by JPWEraser; 08-18-10 at 08:38 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-10, 01:49 PM   #2
JPWEraser
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: My '06 BMW Z4MR

First mod - done. This one is simple but an essential one to me. I bought the OEM aux input from Bavauto.com - SUPER service, reasonable price, and very quick shipping. This one took me about 15 minutes to finish:

More to come...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-12-10, 07:28 PM   #3
swpftw
Active Participant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 08 SWP WRX
Fav Mod: coilovers
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

swpftw is an unknown quantity at this point

the shark-ish front end look of the newer bimmers are growing on me...espeically the white on bimmers too! looks amazing, the red seats are tasty!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-10, 10:45 PM   #4
Projekt
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Stealth
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Projekt is an unknown quantity at this point

I dig it.. But, I would prefer the Coupe in Black...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-10, 06:50 AM   #5
JPWEraser
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpftw View Post
the shark-ish front end look of the newer bimmers are growing on me...espeically the white on bimmers too! looks amazing, the red seats are tasty!
Thanks! The Z4 reall grew on me big time - I used to hate how they looked and much preferred the look of the Z3... quite the opposite now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projekt View Post
I dig it.. But, I would prefer the Coupe in Black...
Thanks - coupes are cheaper and more common than the roadster for the most part so it would have been easier to find one and pay for it, but I am in love with having a roadster. There is absolutely nothing like cruising with the top down sometimes - especially in the evenings when the sun is going down.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-10, 06:53 AM   #6
BAD STI
IWSTI Guru
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: 20G-XT
My Subaru Parts for sale

BAD STI is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks great man. I have always loved the BMW roadsters.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-10, 11:06 PM   #7
Projekt
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Stealth
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Projekt is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
Thanks - coupes are cheaper and more common than the roadster for the most part so it would have been easier to find one and pay for it, but I am in love with having a roadster. There is absolutely nothing like cruising with the top down sometimes - especially in the evenings when the sun is going down.
I feel you on that. I remember the joy I experienced when driving my old 5.0 drop-top. Nice warm evenings were the best and there was a lot of envy from folks I would drive past. Was married then but could have exploited a lot of "opportunities" had I been in the mindset..
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-10, 03:45 PM   #8
JPWEraser
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Mod number 2 done...
Mangowalk 3" stubby:

Also washed her up - wish she stayed this way:

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-18-10, 08:38 PM   #9
JPWEraser
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: My '06 BMW Z4MR - 8/15/2010 Mod number 2 done

Mod number 3 done. Up this time is a LED conversion for the license plate lights. These were a very simple install. I am impressed with the speed of shipping from E92-Lighting. The box came well packaged and complete with easy instructions:

And here is a before picture with the OEM bulbs:

And after installing the LEDs:

These pictures aren't the greatest, but they'll have to do for now since I started pouring rain right when I was taking the after-mod shot. More to come...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-19-10, 08:20 AM   #10
Tj Hunter
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2001 BMW M5
Fav Mod: AFE Intake
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Tj Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My '06 BMW Z4MR - 8/19/2010 Mod number 3 done

Great looking E85!!! It is funny to me how many people go either from Subaru to BMW or from BMW to Subaru (Me). I LOVE my BMW's and am not going to give them up, I have just been looking at them for MANY years now, but some BMW always came up to distract me. Now it is STi time, FINALLY, I just need something different to work on and use for a while.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement