So are we not going to talk about it? C8 game-changer - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
So are we not going to talk about it? C8 game-changer
So are we not going to talk about it? C8 game-changer
Go Back   STI Forums > > > So are we not going to talk about it? C8 game-changer

Old 07-26-19, 11:32 AM   #1
8cd03gro
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough
Default So are we not going to talk about it? C8 game-changer

This is a disruptive car and the higher tier models are going to be even crazier. Rumor is the top spec will be AWD and hybrid with over 800hp... and the base model already does 0-60 in 2.8s with 495hp and RWD, <$60k. That's insane. The Supra is already obsolete.

https://www.youtube.com/v/xkKTxrhrlHw

Last edited by 8cd03gro; 07-26-19 at 12:48 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-19, 02:58 PM   #2
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: So are we not going to talk about it? C8 game-changer

I need this car
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-27-19, 08:51 AM   #3
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

I'll have to wait for the higher end ones

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-19, 10:42 AM   #4
STINick19
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is on a distinguished road

Agreed about the Supra. It seems like the going rate with dealer markups is ~$100k. Hopefully the markups on the C8 aren't as bad.

The Supra will need the S55 or new S58 M engine (from the M2, M3, M4) rather than the B58 in order to be competitive. The stock S55 engine with an e85 tune is capable of 500+ whp and 550+whp with downpipes. This has been enough power to put M cars in the 10 sec 1/4 mile range. But then we're talking about modified cars.. but the Supra has always been a tuner car. A video on youtube showed the Supra only running a 12.5 even w/ street radials.

Of course the Supra is a smaller sports car in comparison to the C8 being a budget supercar. If the purchase price is similar, the C8 obviously seems like the better buy.

Either way.. neither car comes with a manual trans

Last edited by STINick19; 07-31-19 at 11:37 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-31-19, 06:58 PM   #5
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

I'm goin to have to learn to drive an automatic ! ? ! ? ! ?

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-31-19, 09:52 PM   #6
8cd03gro

My Subaru Parts for sale

8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINick19 View Post
Agreed about the Supra. It seems like the going rate with dealer markups is ~$100k. Hopefully the markups on the C8 aren't as bad.

The Supra will need the S55 or new S58 M engine (from the M2, M3, M4) rather than the B58 in order to be competitive. The stock S55 engine with an e85 tune is capable of 500+ whp and 550+whp with downpipes. This has been enough power to put M cars in the 10 sec 1/4 mile range. But then we're talking about modified cars.. but the Supra has always been a tuner car. A video on youtube showed the Supra only running a 12.5 even w/ street radials.

Of course the Supra is a smaller sports car in comparison to the C8 being a budget supercar. If the purchase price is similar, the C8 obviously seems like the better buy.

Either way.. neither car comes with a manual trans
I'm not sure why anyone would buy the Supra over the M2 Competition at this point.

What really interests me about the C8 is what the aftermarket community will be able to do with an affordable mid-engine platform with a Chevy SB. That's just a wild proposition. I can't imagine what a simple bolt-on and tire C8 is going to do at the track, let alone the higher tier models. Trackdays are just going to be overflowing with them.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-01-19, 12:01 PM   #7
STINick19
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would buy the Supra over the M2 Competition at this point.

What really interests me about the C8 is what the aftermarket community will be able to do with an affordable mid-engine platform with a Chevy SB. That's just a wild proposition. I can't imagine what a simple bolt-on and tire C8 is going to do at the track, let alone the higher tier models. Trackdays are just going to be overflowing with them.
The only selling point that I see for the Supra is that it's a dedicated sports car platform (only shared by the Supra & Z4). One could argue that the M2 Competition is a beefed up 2 series chassis that may have had some compromises made. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy the M2 Comp over the Supra for the M engine, back seat, and manual transmission. Especially considering that their curb weight and price are fairly similar.

I agree that C8s will be very popular at the track and all over youtube. I think it's amazing what Chevrolet has done at this price point. It offers a lot for the price. Maybe it'll help people realize that manufacturers are overcharging for cars these days. I think even the new GT500 will struggle to be relevant with the performance per dollar that the C8 will offer. The GT500 starts around $74k.

Last edited by STINick19; 08-01-19 at 03:14 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-19, 07:17 AM   #8
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Tint
My Subaru Parts for sale

awenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the rough

It looks like they traced a Ferrari, sharpened some of the lines, and called it a corvette. Ugly IMO, and I've seen them in person.

No matter how "good" it is, it's still GM quality and cheap is cheap for a reason.... Corners have to be cut somewhere. Give it a year or so and you'll find out where.

I live in 'burbs north of Detroit, east of the milford proving grounds. I've seen the test mules sitting on the side of the road many times. I've seen them on the proving grounds track broken down.

Anyway, the non-saleable cars are running around out here, now. We shall see what happens.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-19, 01:20 PM   #9
8cd03gro

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
It looks like they traced a Ferrari, sharpened some of the lines, and called it a corvette. Ugly IMO, and I've seen them in person.

No matter how "good" it is, it's still GM quality and cheap is cheap for a reason.... Corners have to be cut somewhere. Give it a year or so and you'll find out where.

I live in 'burbs north of Detroit, east of the milford proving grounds. I've seen the test mules sitting on the side of the road many times. I've seen them on the proving grounds track broken down.

Anyway, the non-saleable cars are running around out here, now. We shall see what happens.
I'd trust a GM product over a Ferrari or Lamborghini to run reliably for 50k miles every single time. The Italian sports cars are unbelievably problematic and expensive to maintain, most people don't recognize it because they drive them 2,000 miles/yr or less.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-07-19, 05:26 AM   #10
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Tint
My Subaru Parts for sale

awenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
I'd trust a GM product over a Ferrari or Lamborghini to run reliably for 50k miles every single time. The Italian sports cars are unbelievably problematic and expensive to maintain, most people don't recognize it because they drive them 2,000 miles/yr or less.
Okay? Did I say anything about Ferrari/Lambo reliability? GM is #2 for most garbage cars, behind FCA.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement