IW STi Forum banner

TPMS Control Module

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  RAE129 
#1 ·
2008 STi -

Last week had a slow leak in the front passenger tire, and was at the stealership for some other work. Told them to take a look, as it was probably a bad valve. They came back told me my valve was bad and they would fix it and my TPMS Sensor/Transmitter was cracked. They said they would order me one.

I went in today, got the sensor replaced. Driving home and the TPMS light blinks and stays steady. I figure the sensor wasn't programmed correctly. Head back to the stealership and I tell them my light was blinking and then stayed steady.

An hour later I am told that the TPMS Control Module has crapped out and they cannot communicate with the unit. So I went in with a cracked sensor with no light on, come out with a new sensor and the light on.

Has anyone ever had the tpms control module fail?

#3 ·
What is their mode of failure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The tire pressure warning light illuminated. Checked and rechecked pressures with a manual gauge and found them all to be ok. After driving to shop found that one wouldn't communicate with the handheld reset device. We replaced that one. Rechecked and reset the warning light. Drove out and problem solved, six months ago still ok. A similar senecio and course of action a couple years ago on different car.
I should add, I didn't have an attitude about the shop guys, or call them "stealership" in public. I treat them like human beings, who generally are trying to do a good job. I also didn't waste time grandstanding on this forum about something as simple as that. Mechanical things fail sometimes...fix it and drive on. Are you still driving around with a slow leak??? Gheeeeezzz Loouuiizzeee!!!

#5 ·
Chuck, thanks for the valuable input. No attitude over here, and FYI I call every dealership a stealership....and I think I still treated everyone there as a human being.

The tpms module is an electrical component and not mechanical. I am trying to figure out why they fail (I.e. resistor, antenna, etc.). If you know their mode of failure, please do tell.

Troubleshooting just doesn’t start by saying hey this is what it might be, it doesn’t communicate with the handheld unit, and just replace it. There are a lot of reasons why the module may not be operating correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I'm probably wrong as I am a lot, but I believe it's a sealed unit as is typical these days. If you want to fix the problem as I thought, you'll likely end up replacing it. Your implication is correct. I am not familiar with the details of how the sensors work, beyond detecting a preset pressure level and transmitting that information to a receiver, that converts it to a warning light for me. I apologize in not recognizing how many would find the details of how this all works fascinating. I guess for me I quickly recognize that I won't be repairing it, but instead will just replace it, regardless of why it doesn't work. I just want the light out and to be back on the road. After rechecking with my tire gauge a couple times, it's gone from my mind. I stand corrected ergo: Mechanical AND electrical things fail sometimes...fix them and drive on. I suspicions that the sensor is a bit of both, but not for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.