TPMS Control Module - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
TPMS Control Module
TPMS Control Module
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > TPMS Control Module
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-19, 03:11 PM   #1
RAE129
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: 08 Subaru WRX STI
My Threads
Posts: 153
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NYC Manhattan-Upper West
RAE129 is on a distinguished road
Default TPMS Control Module

2008 STi -

Last week had a slow leak in the front passenger tire, and was at the stealership for some other work. Told them to take a look, as it was probably a bad valve. They came back told me my valve was bad and they would fix it and my TPMS Sensor/Transmitter was cracked. They said they would order me one.

I went in today, got the sensor replaced. Driving home and the TPMS light blinks and stays steady. I figure the sensor wasn't programmed correctly. Head back to the stealership and I tell them my light was blinking and then stayed steady.

An hour later I am told that the TPMS Control Module has crapped out and they cannot communicate with the unit. So I went in with a cracked sensor with no light on, come out with a new sensor and the light on.

Has anyone ever had the tpms control module fail?
RAE129 is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-30-19, 04:39 PM   #2
chuckr47
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: LR 09 STi
Fav Mod: 2015+ steering rack, GTWORX struts, yellow springs
My Threads
Posts: 20
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gresham OR
chuckr47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TPMS Control Module

Yes they do fail occasionally. Just have it replaced and you'll be good to go.
chuckr47 is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 04:41 PM   #3
RAE129
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: 08 Subaru WRX STI
My Threads
Posts: 153
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NYC Manhattan-Upper West
RAE129 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TPMS Control Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr47 View Post
Yes they do fail occasionally. Just have it replaced and you'll be good to go.


What is their mode of failure?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RAE129 is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-30-19, 05:17 PM   #4
chuckr47
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: LR 09 STi
Fav Mod: 2015+ steering rack, GTWORX struts, yellow springs
My Threads
Posts: 20
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gresham OR
chuckr47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TPMS Control Module

The tire pressure warning light illuminated. Checked and rechecked pressures with a manual gauge and found them all to be ok. After driving to shop found that one wouldn't communicate with the handheld reset device. We replaced that one. Rechecked and reset the warning light. Drove out and problem solved, six months ago still ok. A similar senecio and course of action a couple years ago on different car.
I should add, I didn't have an attitude about the shop guys, or call them "stealership" in public. I treat them like human beings, who generally are trying to do a good job. I also didn't waste time grandstanding on this forum about something as simple as that. Mechanical things fail sometimes...fix it and drive on. Are you still driving around with a slow leak??? Gheeeeezzz Loouuiizzeee!!!
chuckr47 is offline  
Likes 1 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 05:32 PM   #5
RAE129
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: 08 Subaru WRX STI
My Threads
Posts: 153
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NYC Manhattan-Upper West
RAE129 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TPMS Control Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr47 View Post
The tire pressure warning light illuminated. Checked and rechecked pressures with a manual gauge and found them all to be ok. After driving to shop found that one wouldn't communicate with the handheld reset device. We replaced that one. Rechecked and reset the warning light. Drove out and problem solved, six months ago still ok. A similar senecio and course of action a couple years ago on different car.
I should add, I didn't have an attitude about the shop guys, or call them "stealership" in public. I treat them like human beings, who generally are trying to do a good job. I also didn't waste time grandstanding on this forum about something as simple as that. Mechanical things fail sometimes...fix it and drive on. Are you still driving around with a slow leak??? Gheeeeezzz Loouuiizzeee!!!


Chuck, thanks for the valuable input. No attitude over here, and FYI I call every dealership a stealership....and I think I still treated everyone there as a human being.

The tpms module is an electrical component and not mechanical. I am trying to figure out why they fail (I.e. resistor, antenna, etc.). If you know their mode of failure, please do tell.

Troubleshooting just doesn’t start by saying hey this is what it might be, it doesn’t communicate with the handheld unit, and just replace it. There are a lot of reasons why the module may not be operating correctly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RAE129 is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 05:57 PM   #6
chuckr47
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: LR 09 STi
Fav Mod: 2015+ steering rack, GTWORX struts, yellow springs
My Threads
Posts: 20
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gresham OR
chuckr47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TPMS Control Module

I'm probably wrong as I am a lot, but I believe it's a sealed unit as is typical these days. If you want to fix the problem as I thought, you'll likely end up replacing it. Your implication is correct. I am not familiar with the details of how the sensors work, beyond detecting a preset pressure level and transmitting that information to a receiver, that converts it to a warning light for me. I apologize in not recognizing how many would find the details of how this all works fascinating. I guess for me I quickly recognize that I won't be repairing it, but instead will just replace it, regardless of why it doesn't work. I just want the light out and to be back on the road. After rechecking with my tire gauge a couple times, it's gone from my mind. I stand corrected ergo: Mechanical AND electrical things fail sometimes...fix them and drive on. I suspicions that the sensor is a bit of both, but not for sure.
chuckr47 is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 08:05 PM   #7
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Jersey
Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: TPMS Control Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr47 View Post
I should add, I didn't have an attitude about the shop guys, or call them "stealership" in public. I treat them like human beings, who generally are trying to do a good job. I also didn't waste time grandstanding on this forum about something as simple as that. Mechanical things fail sometimes...fix it and drive on. Are you still driving around with a slow leak??? Gheeeeezzz Loouuiizzeee!!!
This guy gets it right here^^ I love it when people start off with the good ole trip to the "stealership". Makes me want to charge for helping out

Electrical components like modules have no real lifespan to it, they can fail at any time. There are many reasons why electrical components fail (shorts, opens, reisistance, current, voltage spikes, water, damage, heat, ect ect ect) For something like this, its just best to replace and move on. Its not worth opening it up and test internal circuit board to attempt to repair.

Also troubleshooting doesnt always have to be complicated. You can always check connectors and circuits to the module. Start with basics like power/ground. If there is an issue with communication coming out of the module, try swaping it out if its simple enough to get to it. If communication is established then there is the issue. Depending on the system like PT-CAN ,MOST BUS, and LIN BUS comunication, unplugging and swaping modules can sometimes be the quickest and easiest way to solve the issue.

Last edited by Jay11STI; 10-30-19 at 08:13 PM.
Jay11STI is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 08:52 PM   #8
RAE129
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car: 08 Subaru WRX STI
My Threads
Posts: 153
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NYC Manhattan-Upper West
RAE129 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TPMS Control Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
This guy gets it right here^^ I love it when people start off with the good ole trip to the "stealership". Makes me want to charge for helping out

Electrical components like modules have no real lifespan to it, they can fail at any time. There are many reasons why electrical components fail (shorts, opens, reisistance, current, voltage spikes, water, damage, heat, ect ect ect) For something like this, its just best to replace and move on. Its not worth opening it up and test internal circuit board to attempt to repair.

Also troubleshooting doesnt always have to be complicated. You can always check connectors and circuits to the module. Start with basics like power/ground. If there is an issue with communication coming out of the module, try swaping it out if its simple enough to get to it. If communication is established then there is the issue. Depending on the system like PT-CAN ,MOST BUS, and LIN BUS comunication, unplugging and swaping modules can sometimes be the quickest and easiest way to solve the issue.
Do you take Venmo? lol You guys are taking this real personal. If I offended you, sorry. lol

I understand for the worker doing the troubleshooting it is not worth opening up and testing, and easier to just change the module out. Problem I have is if changing the module out doesn't work, then on to the next resolution which costs more money. Time is money.

I appreciate all the help and input. I will take a crack at figuring out what the problem is.
RAE129 is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help? More

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.