Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 **** - Page 99 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****
Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

Old 08-09-19, 03:43 PM   #981
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: The car...
My Subaru Parts for sale

Joebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

That brings up a good question, how has everyone been determining the “center” of the rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-19, 04:26 PM   #982
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebie View Post
That brings up a good question, how has everyone been determining the “center” of the rack?

Via a professional alignment.

Other then that before you can get one, you would need to measure your tie rod lengths and make sure they’re the same, or eyeballing your wheels... Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-10-19, 04:54 AM   #983
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Joebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
Via a professional alignment.

Other then that before you can get one, you would need to measure your tie rod lengths and make sure they’re the same, or eyeballing your wheels... Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

Oh well yeah I’ll definitely be getting an alignment. But I’m more wondering how to know the rack is in it’s centered position at the steering shaft. I’ve done some racks on other cars, and they all had a detent or some way to show you the rack was centered. (Not relative to the wheels, but relative to the center of the steering shaft as it relates to the centered position of the steering wheel).

That way when you put the u-joint for the lower shaft onto the steering rack you At least knew that was straight.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-19, 02:39 AM   #984
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Bleep bloop. It's in - powersteering pump stopped making noise too so that's nice.

Regarding my previous question about centering the rack. I ended up being off a few teeth (about 1/4 rotation). So I had someone hold the wheel while I disconnected the steering shaft, and then center the wheel. Now I have equal turns in both direction (may still be off a tooth)

I have toe-in plates coming today so I plan to set the toe myself, or atleast try. I have a few other things I am doing that will require an alignment so I'm waiting to get that done. Should have an update on the self alignment later today or tomorrow depending on the weather.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 08-12-19, 02:03 PM   #985
eaglehunter
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Cobb AP, downpipe and protune (best bang for bucks thus far)
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

eaglehunter is on a distinguished road

So no detent or other way to confirm center, right?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-19, 04:14 AM   #986
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglehunter View Post
So no detent or other way to confirm center, right?
Nope, none that I found unfortunately. (there is a weird pin, but I think that's unrelated to centering).

As far as I can tell there is 1.5 turns to each side from the center. So it was pretty easy to find center once it was on. (Initially from center I had 1-3/4 turn to the right and 1-1/4 to the left) I imagine if I counted the teeth and divided it up I could determine how many teeth it's actually off, but I figured the fine adjustment can be done at the tie rods.

I messed around with the toe plates yesterday, pretty easy to use although I was a little rushed because it was supposed to storm. I think it have it driveable now. I'll revisit them today (as long as it's not raining ). I also need to get the subframe girdle back on before I take it out.

I'll probably also set up some strings as well to determine individual wheel toe as a sanity check. Been watching some videos on it this morning and it seems fairly straight forward if you take the time to set it up the right way.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-19, 05:52 AM   #987
Jedi03
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Blue 2009 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jedi03 is on a distinguished road

it really is easy to setup alignment...uncle and i did it on a crx years ago using string and a long board with nails in each side. would adjust then back up to end of driveway and back into garage to make sure suspension had settled properly before checking again...steering wheel only ended up being ~3 degrees off, drove straight till i hit the side of a mountain lol
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-19-19, 03:22 PM   #988
NewShockerGuy
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 05' STI
Fav Mod: Defi gauges, or TXS TBE or JDM sidemarkers...arg!
My Subaru Parts for sale

NewShockerGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried to read everything. Just for my clarity in that I am understanding everything.

I have a 2005 GD STi. In order to make this all work I would need the following to be done.

1. Purchase 2015 STi steering rack.
2. Enlarge the hole in my subframe to make new steering rack "fit".
3. I would need a different bracket/spacer due to the offset of the new steering rack in order to bolt into the current holes.
4. I would need to finder shorter tie rods (cut the longer 2015 tie rods, or use my existing 05' GD tie rods as long as they are in good condition)

This is what I am getting confused about.
1. Do I need different fittings since the lines are going to be slightly different location/angle. I've read that people bend the stock lines slightly but that needs to be done gently not to cause problems/kinks, or purchase new adapters so that no bending is required?

2. I also read the 05' Steering rack top gear/knuckle is longer than the 15+, so is an adapter needed?

I don't mind taking everything apart. My fear is that I miss something simple which causes a nightmare of an install..lol

This thread is filled with a ton of info and I'm trying to make sure I understand everything 100% before buying everything then finding out, welp crap. Doesn't work because this or that...etc.

Much appreciated!

-Nigel

Old 08-19-19, 07:09 PM   #989
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
I've tried to read everything. Just for my clarity in that I am understanding everything.

I have a 2005 GD STi. In order to make this all work I would need the following to be done.

1. Purchase 2015 STi steering rack.
2. Enlarge the hole in my subframe to make new steering rack "fit".
3. I would need a different bracket/spacer due to the offset of the new steering rack in order to bolt into the current holes.
4. I would need to finder shorter tie rods (cut the longer 2015 tie rods, or use my existing 05' GD tie rods as long as they are in good condition)

This is what I am getting confused about.
1. Do I need different fittings since the lines are going to be slightly different location/angle. I've read that people bend the stock lines slightly but that needs to be done gently not to cause problems/kinks, or purchase new adapters so that no bending is required?

2. I also read the 05' Steering rack top gear/knuckle is longer than the 15+, so is an adapter needed?

I don't mind taking everything apart. My fear is that I miss something simple which causes a nightmare of an install..lol

This thread is filled with a ton of info and I'm trying to make sure I understand everything 100% before buying everything then finding out, welp crap. Doesn't work because this or that...etc.

Much appreciated!

-Nigel

This thread is mostly for GR installs. Most of us here aren't fully familiar with the GD work required. If you look on NASIOC, that's where the GD thread research and findings really took place. You'd get better feedback there.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-20-19, 02:27 AM   #990
NewShockerGuy
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 05' STI
Fav Mod: Defi gauges, or TXS TBE or JDM sidemarkers...arg!
My Subaru Parts for sale

NewShockerGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
This thread is mostly for GR installs. Most of us here aren't fully familiar with the GD work required. If you look on NASIOC, that's where the GD thread research and findings really took place. You'd get better feedback there.
Appreciate the info! I'll go and post there and see what I get.

This looks excellent honestly so I hope I can make it work.

-Nigel
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement