Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 **** - Page 80 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****
Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

Old 05-07-16, 09:50 PM   #791
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbox View Post
are super pros equivalent or better than whiteline bushings? both are from the land down under. didn't mean to get off topic....lets see the results of why the SAS (Steer Angle Sensor) is playing up for some and not for others?

Has any other 2010 GRs experiencing the same SAS issue? I may have skipped a page, but are there any ways to reset the SAS to have it relearn then new 13.1 ratio rack?

Super Pro and Whiteline are both Australian companies, yes, but only Super Pro manufactures their own bushings in house. Whiteline outsources their manufacturing which has led to many discrepancies over the years.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the SAS issue is currently being troubleshooted by KManz. Stay tuned.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-16, 09:55 PM   #792
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'm considering this Group Buy...awesome deal....can anyone give me a quick run down of why the new 2011+ LCA design is an improvement over the 08-10 STIs?

The major fix is the anti lift geometry being properly optimized. Something that used to need special bushings which were a PITA to install.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-07-16, 10:37 PM   #793
KManZ
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

KManZ will become famous soon enoughKManZ will become famous soon enough

Got a chance to throw the car into a few corners today, and the VDC again stepped in. I'll take the car back to AndrewTech on Monday to get any codes read and see what's up.

There's a chance I'm also mistaking this for how the car is supposed to act. How easy is it to trigger the VDC?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-16, 01:47 AM   #794
ScootBaloo
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Silver 2011 WRX
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ScootBaloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManZ View Post
How easy is it to trigger the VDC?
Accelerate through a corner will do it on mine.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-09-16, 03:04 AM   #795
Simon
Advanced Contributor Level 5

Car: Black 2010 STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Simon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Hey guys, is the power steering pump a different part for 15 ? Reason I am asking is that I kept my stock 10 pump and in cold weather, I can get the pump to seize (steering locks, battery signal on since the alternator stop spinning) when I am stopped and I turn the wheel. Maybe my ps pump is just getting tired or maybe the 15 is a bit beefier and able the handle more resistance ?

Quick update, when I took the car out of storage this spring it was still doing it. It was maybe slightly worst. I ended up adjusting the accessory belt tensioner and it fixed my issue. I guess the belt got a bit loose over the year and that the pump works a bit harder than with the stock steering rack. So anyway, easy fix ! Thought I'd share
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-09-16, 06:57 PM   #796
zenbox
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

zenbox is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
The major fix is the anti lift geometry being properly optimized. Something that used to need special bushings which were a PITA to install.
I was able to secure a spot for the group buy for the LCA for my 2010. 👍🏽 hopefully it gets rid of the dead play zone and the steering comes close to BRZ/Evo steering.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-09-16, 07:51 PM   #797
n_ac
Becoming A Contributor

Car: DGM 14 WRX STI Hatch
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

n_ac is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
GR newbie here. Hello.

I've been following this thread, as I also have GR with 90,000 miles. Coincidently, my steering rack is leaking, and my pump is just about gone. My 2010 GR STI is completely stock, believe it or not, but recently test drove the 2016 STI. I still love my GR STI and doing this swap would be like transferring the handling road feel of the newer STI but not having to eat the 40k price for a new one.

Past the quick intro. I've seen the parts list on the first page of the thread:

1) 2015 Steering Rack
2) Steering pump
3) They also had mentioned about my swaybar bushing and lca bushing cracking and needing the be replaced.

(A performance Shop in Northern VA) is quoting me ~ $1K for labor (taking off rack, and pump and flushing fluids through, and pressing new bushings into lca and installing and aligning swaybar bushings)

The Steering rack and pump will probably cost another $1k. All in all, 2K!!! I need to past safety inspection and a leaking pump and rack isn't going to cut it.

The Dealership quoted me to do everything would cost 3k!

Any advice or anything I should add to my laundry list of steering/suspension I should add? maybe install whiteline front swaybar while I'm at it? What about the Cusco steering rack mount? is that necessary?
1k may be too much for just swapping the rack. I've been quoted around 700 for install but had mine done at a reputable shop for a bit less than that.

I purchased the brace and bushings but didn't install them as the new rack came with new bushings and brace.

I wasn't aware of needing a new PS pump unless your current one is shot. I did hear some folks talk about getting a PS pump cooler.

Everything in my 11+ GR is stock other than the rack and an alignment -1.2 C front and zero toe and it's a night and day difference. The car feels much more tossable and 90 degree turns are much easier without having to re-adjust your hands on the wheel.

The steering feel is much tighter, closer to maybe an e9x BMW at slow speeds.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-09-16, 08:27 PM   #798
zenbox
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_ac View Post
1k may be too much for just swapping the rack. I've been quoted around 700 for install but had mine done at a reputable shop for a bit less than that.

I purchased the brace and bushings but didn't install them as the new rack came with new bushings and brace.

I wasn't aware of needing a new PS pump unless your current one is shot. I did hear some folks talk about getting a PS pump cooler.

Everything in my 11+ GR is stock other than the rack and an alignment -1.2 C front and zero toe and it's a night and day difference. The car feels much more tossable and 90 degree turns are much easier without having to re-adjust your hands on the wheel.

The steering feel is much tighter, closer to maybe an e9x BMW at slow speeds.
The 1k includes installing the Rack, new steering pump, new Front LCAs, front swaybar and a four wheel alignment.

I'm getting excited to get the parts on the car. I can only imagine how much more crisp and precise the handling will get with these mods. I was looking at the steering oil cooler, but probably put it off until I get back to tracking the car. I'm going to daily it for awhile and don't need the cooling, but it would be a nice insurance to prolonging the life of the rack, pump and the seals.

Never driven a new 3 series BMW (E9x) but I do have my expectations of how a 13.1 rack should feel like. I've driven the BRZ and an Evo 9. With the LCA that I just ordered and the .75 on caster, should make it close, or maybe even better!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-10-16, 10:16 AM   #799
zenbox
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManZ View Post
Same offer stands for anyone in Northern Virginia

After driving my car all day, I hopped into my gf's WRX... After some time you get used to the heavier 13:1 feel, but once you go back to the 15:1, you'll be shocked at how wibbly-wobbly it was.
Does this offer still stand KManZ?

I live in Fredericksburg. My GR is getting it's 90,000 mile major maintenance at Sheehy Subaru in Springfield. My rack, new pump and LCAs are on the way. Just excited to see how she will be handling.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-11-16, 05:14 PM   #800
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
KManZ is on his way to confirm what we speculated all along. There was a nice discussion about the "current" issue some are having with the 2015 steering rack on their GR. It seems the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) setting was off by 4 degrees and reporting a code. Once the rain clears, he will push the car a little to see if this has resolved the issue you're all experiencing.

Fun note found by mrsaturn7085: The FSM states in the steering rack install instructions that the SAS must be reset after the steering wheel is straight and the alignment is complete. It's looking like this step was skipped on some installs causing the Traction Control to see the values higher than normal therefore falsely reporting the car was in a turn greater than it actually is.

Stay tuned!
As a note... while that's awesome that KMan's issue was solved... that was absolutely not the problem with mine. My SAS was reset after install and alignment several times and was checked to make sure it was working well.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement