Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 **** - Page 48 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****
Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

Old 09-27-14, 02:26 AM   #471
James066
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: Grey 2013 STI Sedan
Fav Mod: NP Axleback
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

James066 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

Well thanks to insomnia I managed to go through every single post on this thread haha. Mad props to Nox for being the pioneer on this one! I think I might phone my dealership and get a quote today. Also I'm wondering if the D wheel from the 2015 would fit and the part number (cost). Would add nicely to this mod! Noximus what dealership did you get this done at? I'm not sure if I trust mine to do this or not lol.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-14, 05:39 AM   #472
SHIFT-D
Master Contributor Level 2

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SHIFT-D will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by James066 View Post
Well thanks to insomnia I managed to go through every single post on this thread haha. Mad props to Nox for being the pioneer on this one! I think I might phone my dealership and get a quote today. Also I'm wondering if the D wheel from the 2015 would fit and the part number (cost). Would add nicely to this mod! Noximus what dealership did you get this done at? I'm not sure if I trust mine to do this or not lol.
Having compared the 2015 STI D wheel and the GTSpec D wheel back to back, I would go with GTSpec/DAMD. The aftermarket wheels are slightly thicker in places, and have a more gripping shape. My GTSpec fits my hand like a glove in any position. The 2015 STI wheel is pretty nice, but definitely not as good as aftermarket.
Likes 4 Dislikes 0

Old 09-27-14, 09:22 AM   #473
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

Quote:

I got it done here in Moncton. Call the service rep Luc and the service manager Kyle. Tell them Chris sent you to them for the steering rack. Charlie is the service tech that has been doing all the work (incl. aftermarket) on my car that I can't do or don't have the tools for. They're a great bunch to deal with and it'll only take 1.5hrs if all goes to plan. It took 3hrs for me with the alignment but I was there taking pics and asking questions slowing them down.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-14, 09:38 AM   #474
James066
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: Grey 2013 STI Sedan
Fav Mod: NP Axleback
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

James066 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
I got it done here in Moncton. Call the service rep Luc and the service manager Kyle. Tell them Chris sent you to them for the steering rack. Charlie is the service tech that has been doing all the work (incl. aftermarket) on my car that I can't do or don't have the tools for. They're a great bunch to deal with and it'll only take 1.5hrs if all goes to plan. It took 3hrs for me with the alignment but I was there taking pics and asking questions slowing them down.
Cool I will look into that! Do you remember the total bill by chance?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-27-14, 10:16 AM   #475
Noximus

My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

Quote:
Cool I will look into that! Do you remember the total bill by chance?

Yes, but I was asked not to disclose my price. The team in Moncton won't overcharge you, just ask them for a quote.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-02-14, 12:10 PM   #476
laxman2001
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 steering rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

laxman2001 is on a distinguished road

Preparing to do this Saturday. Is there a good writeup/instruction list for a swap? (Inc. any fluids or special tools I might need)?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-02-14, 02:22 PM   #477
Noximus

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxman2001 View Post
Preparing to do this Saturday. Is there a good writeup/instruction list for a swap? (Inc. any fluids or special tools I might need)?
It's pretty straight forward if your bolts aren't seized up. You can use the service manual to check how to remove and install the steering rack. It'll be the exact same instructions.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-02-14, 03:02 PM   #478
Toivonen
Super Moderator

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Wicked Performance Group, Killer B stuff, RCE 3w Clubsport Coilovers, 13:1 rack, alignment, bushings
My Subaru Parts for sale

Toivonen will become famous soon enoughToivonen will become famous soon enough

Stop making me impatient about this stupid back order! That and a faulty alignment rack at the shop where my car is means delays, delays.

ARGH!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-02-14, 03:58 PM   #479
Noximus

My Subaru Parts for sale

*that moment you realize the steering rack video edit you worked on and finished at 2am last night never saved and you have to start over*

Long story short, half way through, software crashed, re-loaded recovery copy, no biggie, continued editing, once done, trial version had a watermark, uninstalled trial, installed full version, come back today to export the video for upload only to find out you had been working on the recovery copy all night which was in the install folder of the trial version.

Time to start over...

In the mean time, here's a good video that shows a few short comparisons:

https://www.youtube.com/v/IgHgaHjYoZw
Likes 5 Dislikes 0

Old 10-02-14, 04:29 PM   #480
cenix
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: 11 SWP STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cenix is an unknown quantity at this point

ayyy... the amount of turn input on the steering wheel is pretty noticeable from the two models. ayyy...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement