Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 **** - Page 100 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****
Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

Old 09-13-19, 06:39 AM   #991
Western_STi
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Western_STi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Swap a 2015+ Rack into an earlier STI?**** Parts Update Post 1 ****

Has anyone tried a 18-19 Steering Rack? PN 34110VA131. Wondering if it’s different enough to cause problems.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-19, 08:08 PM   #992
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

The wheel base is the same. I don't believe anything else change on that end. It should fit in theory.

You'll have to buy it and try it just like I did with the 2015 one. Be the first.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-17-19, 09:00 AM   #993
eaglehunter
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Cobb AP, downpipe and protune (best bang for bucks thus far)
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

eaglehunter is on a distinguished road

Is the ratio different on the newer one? If not, why bother, just go with what has been proven already.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-19, 03:13 AM   #994
gregnauman
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

gregnauman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris48 View Post
I just did the 2015+ rack swap into my 2011 STi wagon and just thought I’d share the experience as another data point.

I followed all the gouge on strapping the steering wheel in place to be centered and counted the exposed threads on the tie rods to attempt to get it set up as close to my old rack as possible. It was very straight forward, however I screwed up not getting the rack centered when I connected it. The steering wheel was centered, but the rack was not. I had the wheels off the car and it looked close to center judging from the rotors. When I got the wheels back on and took the car off the jacks it was slightly more apparent. I don’t have any kind of alignment equipment and the miss alignment was subtle enough that I wasn’t sure if the rack was off or if it was just an optical illusion. I took the car out of the driveway and went about 30 feet and the VDC lost its mind and eventually deactivated itself. I immediately pulled the car back into the garage and called it a day.

The next morning I was able to disconnect the steering linkage without taking anything off the car other than the undertray. I loosened the top bolt and slid the u joint up the steering wheel shaft and was able to clear the connection into the rack. To make sure the rack was centered I clamped to pieces of trimming I had laying around to make a long straight edge that I could hold flush to the rear tires and the front tires at the same time. I lined up the tires with the front end jacked up. It was clear there was a bit of toe out, but both front tires had the same amount of toe out and they were otherwise straight and the rack centered. I reattached the steering linkage and took it for another drive. No more VDC/traction control issues. I was able to drive the car to the shop to fine tune the alignment from there. I haven’t driven the car at autocross or the track yet, but pushing it around town a little hasn’t resulted in any traction control issues. It’s only been a couple days but so far I love it. I did have some shudder in the steering a few times at low speed sharp turning (parking), but I’m not sure if that is just all the fluid getting settled in the new system or just the fact it’s a brand new steering rack and I’m not used to so much feed back. I bleed the system carefully and thoroughly, but I guess I could I screwed it up. It seems to have gone away though. I’ll share if anything comes of it.

This was long but hopefully it helps to have another data point of experience.
I had this exact issue and all is well. Installed the rack last couple days taking my time.

Def the steering is way heavier than the GR rack which was WAY TOO LOOSE. Its actually heavy believe it or not like my 2005 Outback XT was and also my daughters 2007 Outback Sedan H6 car.

It is a great mod, quicker steering and no more feeling out of control in the corners cause the other rack was so loose. It would almost bump steer if cornering and hitting a imperfection in the pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebie View Post
Nope, none that I found unfortunately. (there is a weird pin, but I think that's unrelated to centering).

As far as I can tell there is 1.5 turns to each side from the center. So it was pretty easy to find center once it was on. (Initially from center I had 1-3/4 turn to the right and 1-1/4 to the left) I imagine if I counted the teeth and divided it up I could determine how many teeth it's actually off, but I figured the fine adjustment can be done at the tie rods.

I messed around with the toe plates yesterday, pretty easy to use although I was a little rushed because it was supposed to storm. I think it have it driveable now. I'll revisit them today (as long as it's not raining ). I also need to get the subframe girdle back on before I take it out.

I'll probably also set up some strings as well to determine individual wheel toe as a sanity check. Been watching some videos on it this morning and it seems fairly straight forward if you take the time to set it up the right way.
Ive installed racks before and this was exactly what I was looking for when I started. The rack comes turned one direction. I couldnt find a center detent or anything. I actually just rotated it and counted the turns to get it as close as I could but after install I was off about 1/4 turn.

Anyway great mod and great thread, and yes I did read it all. Notice I didn't have any questions
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement