IW STi Forum banner

Bilstein/GTWorx suspension reviews

100K views 173 replies 64 participants last post by  Sti43 
#1 ·
Reviews seem to be trickling in the Vendor Announcements thread now people have started receiving their shocks. How about a review thread?

(Mine came yesterday and are waiting for installation.)

#42 ·
I just ordered up the bilsteins with yellow springs. I'm pumped to get them on my car and do a track day in a couple weeks.

I read through the pre-order thread where people are talking about which position to set the rear circlip in and there are some different opinions about this. Some people are using black springs and some have hatches vs sedans (if that even matters).

For a 2011 STi sedan using yellow springs - what setting will I want to use to get the correct height in the rear so that it looks even and not like the rear end is sagging?

If anyone has installed these w/ yellows on a 2011 sedan, please post pictures, I want to see how it looks.

Thanks!

#43 ·
Dang after like a year long wait I thought I would be seeing a ton of reviews in this thread :lol:

I plan on ordering mine over the winter. I have had my Yellows sitting brand new in the box out in the garage for about 1 1/2 years waiting patiently until I could buy these. :)

#44 ·
I have had my Bilsteins for about 3-4 weeks and have a couple more weeks to wait for my Yellows to show up...with 22mm f&r whitelines,KB drop links,wl steering rack bushing.
All going on at once...hope this is wise.
we'll see in a couple of weeks...and I'll post photos asap

Kevin

#45 ·
I just put on my Bilstein's and Yellows tonight... I will post up a review later!

I have a front strut tower brace and that is it other than the struts/shocks. Rear cir-clip is on the setting that it came on, one above the middle to make the rear slightly higher than the middle setting.

#47 ·
wrxt4cy,

I left the circlip one position above the center on the rear to make it slightly higher. I like this spacing. I measured before from the floor to the top of each fender and the car really isn't much lower at all if at all. I need to pull it back in the garage and re-measure this week. I'm not at all disappointed with the ride height, it's not like the '11 was sky high anyways (since it sits lower than '08-'10 STI's).

The car definitely handles better and seems more comfortable over some bumps and broken pavement. I have an alignment scheduled for this coming Saturday morning at EFILogics so I will have a more accurate report then.

#48 · (Edited)
Quick pics of my dirty car. Yellows, Bilsteins, Rear on middle setting. 18x9.5 +45 wheels with 275/35-18 Falken RT615's

Reactions: a5m and Sabrewings
#50 ·
I put the Bilsteins in this last weekend. Initial impressions? The car feels solid. Just a lot better at taking man hole covers and rough spots. Not that I've done more than 100 miles without an alignment, but I feel good about the results already. After an alignment I'll run up to the mountain roads and see what the handling is like over rougher stuff and in "spirited" corners.

There are a few good patches of construction I can run through next week. Just don't want to run round too much until I get it aligned.

I'm running on the RCE Regular Guy springs and GR sways in a 2008 STi hatch.

#59 ·
Alignment completed. Even the tech noted the firmer ride, and complimented the choice. I had some drive time on the highway, rough construction, out in the bends, and over some dirt roads with wash-boarding. All points were better in my mind. I'm very happy with my new car. The ride is both "firmer" and "smoother" as all have found so far.

Parking lot maneuvers with pot holes and speed bumps will be more pronounced but out on the road, the car stays well planted even over really bumpy stuff. The wash board effect didn't unsettle the car, it just kept the lines round the corners. Would have been better if I wasn't on stockers meant for pavement. lol

I gotta say I am well pleased. Wonder what the new changes will translate to in the snow with my 17's and Blizzaks?

#51 ·
Got my Bilsteins and yellows on last night. After just a short drive with a few corners, I'm already really happy. Turn in is much quicker and steering feels much more predictable. The ride is more firm but feels like it doesn't give up much noticeable quality. Nose dive under breaking is gone and acceleration squat has been reduced. I still need to get some miles on the new parts but I'm really excited to try these on the track in a few weeks. I think some upgraded sway bars will complement this setup really nicely. Here is picture from today now that everything should be pretty settled. Its only a tad lower but still looks really good. My cir-clip on the +5 mm setting (one up from middle).

#53 ·
No problem!

I had the chance to some more driving tonight and got a little more aggressive on some faster corners. I'm very impressed with how this setup handles despite feeling great over rough patches of road. One things I noticed tonight that is vastly improved is the handling when the suspension gets upset in a corner, such as hitting a bump. Before, the steering wheel would jerk and the car would start to follow a different line. Now the steering wheel stays where you are holding it and the car corrects itself on its own. That was a major issue for me when I was trying to enjoy some twisty roads. Trying to keep in your own lane isn't always possible, even at reasonable speeds due to this effect.

#66 ·
Here is a new review: Run up the canyon to see the leaves changing.. Missed the leaves.

I was having such a great time on the way up I had to refocus on the way down so that I could enjoy the sights. These were the best things I've bought for the car. Now it drives the way it should have when I bought it. Seriously. Love the combination of the blacks and Bilstiens.

#68 ·
Installed yellows and bilsteins along with a whiteline 22mm rear bar, set hard.
Also took off the base 2012 wheels and put on 2011 base enkeis, with 15mm spacers on all 4 corners.
I dropped the rear cir clip to the middle setting before install.
All I can say is the car should come from factory with this suspension.
My wife also likes how the car doesn't bounce anymore. Understeer has been neutralized.
The stance is perfect, especially with the 15mm spacers.
Only 3900 miles on the car, and it's like new again.
Highly recommended. I drive on hwy 33 everyday at 5am and it's my own racetrack now.
Kevin

#69 ·
Would you mind posting pictures? I want to see how it looks with the wheels spacers. Also - where did you did get the spacers? I've thought about doing this as well because there doesn't seem to be quite enough offset with the stock wheels to look right with the wider fenders.

Thanks.

#70 ·
I havent heard any bad reviews so I guess the GTworks Bilsteins and RCE Blacks are next on my list. I just finished installing the entire Cusco Bracing line with Cusco Sways and Endlinks, Im gonna get the Cusco Lateral Links and then the Bilsteins and Blacks, cant wait!!

#71 ·
I'm on Bilsteins with Swift spec R's and I am lovin it. I also threw on RCE sways with kartboy endlinks and Whiteline subframe inserts. It feels like a totally different car now and handling is spot on. Everything is tightened up and I'm very glad I chose this route over V3's as this is all I really need for my daily driver.

#79 ·
The springs and shocks raise it up just a bit over stock. The springs are harder than stock and about the same height so I guess they don't compress much as stock. It is supposed to settle a bit once the shocks break in but it looks like it should still be a bit higher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.