Need help install TIC linkage bushing - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Need help install TIC linkage bushing
Need help install TIC linkage bushing
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Need help install TIC linkage bushing

Old 02-09-12, 01:50 PM   #1
chanwhk
Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 08 STI OBP
Fav Mod: Tires
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

chanwhk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help install TIC linkage bushing

I'm installing the TIC Holy shift kit. Got the front and rear bushing taken out.
Above it is the linkage U joint, I'm having trouble taking the two bolts out as there's very little clearance.
Anyone with experience can tell me how to get those two bolts out?

TiC 06-08 Subaru Shift Linkage Bushings
These are the bushings that I'm having trouble with

I have search and follow many guides but those bolts are tough to remove.

TIC guide:
TiC STi Shift Linkage Bushing Install

The TIC guide says:

Quote:
Using your 1/4" drift punch and hammer tap out the roll pin. It will take a little bit of work.
We've found that if you use a larger punch or a long extension to start to punch until it gets flush with the assembly it will be a little easier.
Once you have the pin ejected put it to one side.
If you have trouble with the roll pin or just don't fee like punching it out here is an alternative method:
Use a 14mm socket and wrench to remove the nut for the front half of the joint.
Now slide the bolt out of the joint.
You may have clearance issues with the bolt hitting the tranny housing. If that happens push the tranny to the passenger side of the car to get the clearance that you need.
Some folks have had great luck with this technique and others have not so your milage may vary on this one.
One person recently made note that if you drop the jack holding the tranny so it is supported by the engine and driveshaft you will have enough room to get the bolt out.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-12, 02:04 PM   #2
Poindextrous
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 2011 OBP STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Poindextrous is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need help install TIC linkage bushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanwhk View Post
One person recently made note that if you drop the jack holding the tranny so it is supported by the engine and driveshaft you will have enough room to get the bolt out.
Those were such a PITA to do (I didn't even feel a difference, so I don't think it was really worth it IMO), but the above quote is what I think is the suggested method of getting the bolt out in the service manual.
It should give you some wiggle room to move the tranny out of the way to get the bolt out. Popping out the pin is the other way... easier, but a HUGE PITA to get back in. At least, that's what I remember.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-09-12, 05:52 PM   #3
chanwhk
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Do I have to take another brace off to drop the tranny? I only have the brace under the front shift bushing taken off. And those two 100lb bolts were pain in the *** to take off.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-12, 07:24 PM   #4
chanwhk
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindextrous View Post
Those were such a PITA to do (I didn't even feel a difference, so I don't think it was really worth it IMO), but the above quote is what I think is the suggested method of getting the bolt out in the service manual.
It should give you some wiggle room to move the tranny out of the way to get the bolt out. Popping out the pin is the other way... easier, but a HUGE PITA to get back in. At least, that's what I remember.
which way did you end up using?
I didn't feel theres enough room to pop the pin out. and not confident enough that I can pop it back in...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-10-12, 07:35 AM   #5
Sabrewings
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: 1 Meter Fuel Line
My Subaru Parts for sale

Sabrewings is on a distinguished road

I've done it both ways. Just lower the jack slowly until it no longer supports the trans. Push it to the passenger's side and take the bolt out.

If you want to knock the pin out (my preferred method), knock out the smaller inner pin first and then the outer. It's much easier that way. I tried knocking both out at once like TiC suggested and it just wouldn't budge.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-11-12, 07:09 AM   #6
Poindextrous
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 2011 OBP STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Poindextrous is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanwhk View Post
which way did you end up using?
I didn't feel theres enough room to pop the pin out. and not confident enough that I can pop it back in...
I ended up doing that, popping the pin out. If I had to do it again, I'd try removing the bolt.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-16-19, 11:12 AM   #7
green_banana
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: white 2008 STi
Fav Mod: TIC shifter linkage bushing
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

green_banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I just installed the TIC shift linkage bushings in the U joint and wanted to share my tips for the install. I removed the horizontal bolt in the U-joint instead of pushing out the ¼” roll pin. That bolt hits the transmission tunnel (see pic) so there’s a little trick to get enough clearance to get that bolt out. Loosen the large front transmission support bracket, remove the smaller rear transmission support bracket and unbolt the exhaust from the downpipe so the transmission end droops down so it’s less restricted. The engine will support the weight of the transmission. Punch a mark in the U-joint before removing so you know what orientation to put back. I used a 24” bar clamp (inverted to spread out) to push the transmission housing towards the passenger side so the bolt clears the tunnel. Unbolt and disconnect the shift rod from the shift lever inside the car. Now the shift rod is free to pull away from the U-joint. Rotate the shift rod 90 degrees to remove the vertical bolt in the U-joint and remove the U-joint from the shift rod. Remove the old bushings (if any remaining) and pop in the new TIC bushings w/ some grease. Reinstall everything back in the reverse order. be safe wrenching and happy shifting!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help install TIC linkage bushing-39406224_unknown-jpg  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement