GR Sedan: Amaterasu (2012 STi) - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Amaterasu (2012 STi)
Amaterasu (2012 STi)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Sedan: Amaterasu (2012 STi)

Old 02-13-18, 04:35 PM   #1
Cmdr_Madden
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: White '12 STi Sedan
Fav Mod: Nameless axlebacks
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cmdr_Madden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Amaterasu (2012 STi)

Twins!

Old and.....not so old...
Modifications/add-ons list:

Engine:
- Cobb SF CAI (replaced the AEM)
- Nameless magnetic oil drain plug
- OTL Street Series coil packs
- Cobb Access Port v3

Exhaust:

- Nameless Axle back

Exterior

- Morimoto XB fog lights
- OEM rain guards
- Red Rally Armour mud flaps
- Blacked out headlight housing
- Replaced all the little light bulbs with LEDs (tail lights, rear turn signals, reverse, license plate and dome lights) (it makes a world of difference)
- H11 LED headlights (instead of the shitty halogens)
- Red piping around the inside of the grille
- Hella Supertones
- JDM style LED fog light/F1 4th brake light (red lens)
- Tinted rear window and passenger windows (seems like about 75% on all of them)
- Stock STi wheels (2 sets of gunmetal, one without tires atm), Pirelli winters on the shitty set, Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 for everything else
- those gaudy white tuner rims that are probably going to be sold or kept as a backup set *EDIT* Sold them for $500
- Also the car came with a smoke film over the reverse lights and a red film over the rear turn signals, I removed those because it looked better without them

Interior:
- Billetworkz lightbulb shift knob

Misc:
- Aftermarket alarm system/remote starter

To Do/Wishlist:
- Headlight retrofit
- Build the engine
- Aftermarket exhaust (the rest of it; going for full turboback) would only do that if I got a set of xforce varex mufflers
- Springs or coilovers (haven't decided yet)
- Paint calipers red
- Powder coat the rims gold (the good ones anyways), spray bomb the winters.
- replace all the bushings
- replace various mounts (engine, etc...)
- Front/rear sway bars/ cross brace
- replace side view mirriors with ones that have the turn signals/heated (maybe the power folding too?)
- Air pump delete
- short throw shifter? seeing how tiny the gear shifter is with a short throw, maybe not
- replace subaru badges with JDM pink "i" badges for front/trunk
- considering removing the "moustache" on the grille and just leaving the badge
- hood scoop grille
- shark fin antenna? actually pretty sure that I don't want it anymore, I kinda like the little antenna
- D-shaped steering wheel
- Stage 2 clutch
- roofline spoiler?

__________________________________________________ ________________________
So last April I made my first real big boy purchase, a 2012 STi sedan in Satin White Pearl. Back in 2006/7 I watched the episode of Top Gear where they did the STi vs Evo shootout, up until then I thought "EVOs were cool, they have a cool name, Subaru is whatever" but I never thought to actually look into those cars, I just knew they were cars. Thing is though I saw the episode because I wanted to see the Evo in action and then the STi piqued my interest but it was the 5th Gear Hawkeye vs Forester STi that made me into a fan. I started reading up on Subaru and all they did and became more and more fanatical until one day I was driving around with my buddy and we came across a Subaru dealership so we went in to check out the STi and I saw it. There in front of me was the 2012 GR sedan in WRB with those gold wheels and I said to myself "that's the car I'm going to get". I always lusted after Hawkeyes and STi swapped Fozs but that GR was the top of the list.

Fast forward to 2017 and I finally got my hands on her. It wasn't WRB, didn't have gold wheels (in fact they're white) but it was an STi and it was mine (the more I saw the car in white the more I liked it to the point now where, especially keeping with the name, I won't have the car repainted). I got my dream car.

This is the day I brought her home.

This is going to be my chronicle of what I do to this car; There's a year's worth of updates that I'm going to put in a couple of posts but I'll keep it all in chronological order.

The first picture is actually of mine and a friend's (now sold and he got a 2018 WRX RS Package) GRs. Mine's on the left with him taking a picture of me taking a picture of him taking a picture of our cars and the other one is an MG that pulled into the shell station when I was filling up.

SO, on to the actual stuff, instead of my dreamy-eyed talk about getting the car and driving off into the sunset (driving into the sunset sucks, you can't see shit with the sun in your eyes. movies are dumb);

Got the car with 164,000-someodd km on the clock; It had a(n) K&N Typhoon AEM cold air intake and those gaudy white 17 "tuner" wheels on Nexen N1000s (I thought Nexen was a cheap walmart brand [still is i guess] but apparently talking to a tire guy, he looked at the wear number and was shocked by how low it was, tells me they're straight up track tires); red rally Armour mudflaps are installed as well and that was it, everything else was bone dead stock.

Another thing people are probably wondering about is "Amaterasu". What the hell is that? Some kinda Italian desert?? No, Amaterasu is the Shinto goddess of the sun and the universe. It works out well because in many of the depictions of her, she's seen wearing (predominantly) white/red. Also because I always named my cars with a tradition of giving them a name somehow related to the culture/country they're from. So because of that, even though if you cut me open I would bleed WRB and gold, I'm keeping the car white with red stuff smattered around as accents
Attached Thumbnails
Amaterasu (2012 STi)-photo_2018-05-30_22-49-55-jpg  

Last edited by Cmdr_Madden; 08-31-18 at 10:04 AM. Reason: fixed it!
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-18, 05:07 PM   #2
Cmdr_Madden
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Amaterasu (2012 STi)

Fast forward a couple of months of farting around and one rallycross event (which in retrospect I definitely shouldn't have been at);

First rallycross event with NSSCC on the airfield in shearwater

Should have put a tiny little "F" in the vehicle class

I go overseas for 6 months and the car goes into storage. I made a couple of changes though; Installed Hella Supertones, replaced the keyless entry because the one it came with didn't exist anywhere but in Quebec, replaced the fogs with Morimoto XBs, threw on a set of OEM rain guards for the windows and swapped out the shifter knob for a really nice billet aluminum one with laser engraving (POINT OF NOTE- if you get one of these, say goodbye to your nerve endings in your hand, it will roast your palm in the summer and freeze it off in the winter).

I call it the "palm remover"

Put the car into storage in august so I dumped fuel stabilizer into the tank, got a mountain of silica packets (2 in each foot well and 4 in the trunk, arm and hammer fresh pack deoderizer thing in the cabin and one in the trunk and the massive car cover), and then for good measure of paranoia, I spread mothballs around the entire storage unit.

Trying out the new accomodations

All tucked in for the winter

Last edited by Cmdr_Madden; 02-17-18 at 01:59 PM. Reason: i finally figured out how to embed pictures after like 90 tries
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 02-13-18, 05:25 PM   #3
Cmdr_Madden
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Before I left, I also managed to get my hands on a set of Nameless Axle backs that I hadn't had a chance to put on yet, While I was gone though, I started plotting to get rid of those atrocious white wheels; got my hands on a good (but visibly worn) STi 18s in gunmetal (with Pirelli winters still on them) and a set of Pristine gunmetal STi 18s (gonna start tire shopping soon for them too but I'd like to powder coat them gold).

Anywhosit. I get back about a month ago, pull the car out of storage and everything's fine, gotta get an oil change and a bunch of other stuff but I got my baby back. Have the 18s with the winters waiting for me in my storage unit, cart them over to the dealership and have them put on, and now I was ready to make winter my bitch. About a week and a half later, get the car in to have the underside sprayed at a friend's garage and then a couple of days later I bring the car to the guys at Symmetrical Autoworks for an oil change and to get the exhausts put on, book an appointment for the timing belt and spark plugs to be replaced at the same time and get an Nameless magnetic oil drain plug put in to top it all off.

A breath of fresh air

New shoes

In the meantime, I had the battery die on me so that was nice (then the oil change the next day and the timing belt the next day after that, so I dropped a good chunk of cash in one weekend which I wasn't happy about but It all had to be done eventually). A couple of days later I realize that the windshield cracked during a flash freeze so now that's gotta be replaced too (that's actually happening tomorrow).

The crack (goes from one end of the vent to the other

All better

I had mentioned that I got the car at 164k so she was due for the timing belt and plugs. The timing belt was a miracle in of itself, that it didn't snap on me (remember I mentioned that rallycross event that I shouldn't have gone to), seeing the timing belt at the shop, I realize why it was a bad idea and if there was any proof that luck could ever be quantified... that was it right there. The guys at the shop said it was the most worn down timing belt they've ever seen.

But now you're all caught up, At this point I've got OTL street series coil packs coming in, gotta choose new summers for the 18s, get them powder coated as well, I have a cobb access port coming in at the same time as the coil packs, and a full bushing kit waiting in the wings for me to get installed.

Last edited by Cmdr_Madden; 02-17-18 at 12:26 PM. Reason: fixed everything. finally. that legit took me a week to figure out
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-18, 06:28 AM   #4
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to IWSTI, and the Subaru universe! I was reading through the journal fairly fast until I read Symmetrical Autoworks, and that’s when it clicked. Heyyy that’s the white Sedan that was at the shop!

Glad you’re enjoying the car. Taking over a used purchase isn’t always fun at first. Once you’re caught up on maintenace though, and know where you stand with it, it’ll ease out quickly and become much more predictable.

I’m really happy for you that you have access to John. It’ll make your life of car modding and maintenance soooo much simpler.

Are you planning to come to our East Coast Subaru meet in May?
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-17-18, 12:26 PM   #5
Cmdr_Madden
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So I've decided to make this my "Pictures" post; Any random pictures I take of the car will be posted here in the order I take them (for the most part so oldest at the top and work your way down until the most recent ones)

More twin adventures

Another stellar parking job, but also this serves to show you what the tail lights looked like with the film on them (the red/smoke over the turn signals/reverse lights)

Morons gonna moron

Frenemies; my roomie has a ralliart and I always joked that we're like the opposite sides of the fight for good and evil, I win though because I get to remind him that his car isn't an Evo

Size comparison for the greatest mega blocks set I'll ever get

found a friend

First legit day out in the snow (was spared the white stuff up until today)

Guy with the "twin" in the other pictures, sold his STi and bought a 2018 WRX RS package.

Last edited by Cmdr_Madden; 06-03-18 at 08:35 AM. Reason: more pictures
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-02-18, 02:17 PM   #6
Cmdr_Madden
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Showed up to the garage and saw a few friends waiting outside

These are the old coil packs, replaced them with the OTL street series (didn't get a picture of them)

Also this came in the mail today. I like how they're certain that the person has been anxious to get theirs that they could put in the "your accessport is finally here"

New home for the smart-maker
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-31-18, 06:05 PM   #7
Cmdr_Madden
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So it's been a little while since the last update. The past couple of weeks were a bit insane, put alot of KMs down with the girl. Beat alot of my expectations and as well, my wallet. Drove from home to Toronto and back again, stopping off in Montreal for a couple of days each way. The roads are NOT friendly in those provinces. Get to Toronto, find out that my steering rack has to be rebuilt because it's leaking from a couple of the seals, as well my upper control arm and ball joint assembly on the driver's side rear wheel needed to be replaced (shout out to Jeremy Ellement at Redline Automotive in Toronto for not fucking me out of almost $500 in labour when he defenitely could have; was misquoted the time required for the job, thought it was going to be 4 hours more than it actually was, as well the planets lined up and the rack was rebuilt and put back in the car by the end of the first day when we all thought that it was going to take pretty much 2 days to finish, as well there was nothing going on so both jobs were being done concurrently; also shout out to Victor at VMS Auto inc in Toronto, for literally hanging up on a call when I walked in the door to help my diagnose the problem, topping up my power steering fluid, offering to throw me up on the hoist to take a good look at what was going on, all for free, and then recommending a different shop to go to AFTER he had finished all that because he doesn't know that much about Subarus).

Other than that the car was great, considering the roads that I drove over, which were heinous in alot of places (especially in Montreal/ Toronto, I'm honestly surprised that something important didn't fly off).

I can finally speak a bit about the Accessport now that I've had it for a substantial road trip; I'm running one of the OTS maps that comes preloaded with the unit, the Stage 1 ACN tune is the closest approximation for my K&N intake. The car is great, Intelligent is actually pretty driveable now (as opposed to before where I was getting walked by city buses), it's drastically improved the fuel economy as you can see in the pictures below; one thing I'm not too much of a fan of is that S and S# are pretty much the same, I can't tell the difference between the two (however S/S# is even MORE awesome now than before and still better than stock, it's just nice to be able to have the 3 modes on hand instead of 2 with a choice of which display you'd rather have when choosing the second one).

So just to give you guys a breakdown of what I was doing on the drive over, I was stopping roughly every 2.5 hours (which worked out to about 300km, which at that rate of consumption came to about a half tank of gas), most of the time I was sitting at about 9L/100km(because majority of the drive was through New Brunswick, so there's lots of hills and stuff, but being in intelligent was fine, just let the cruise control keep me at 105 the whole way. Getting passed by trucks constantly in an STi is a bit embarrassing but it's better than stopping for gas every 20 minutes. Getting into Quebec where it was mostly flat, I started seeing 8.8/8.6 pretty steady, which kept me overall at about 9.2. Getting past Kingston, ON.... I said screw it and let myself have a bit of a heavier foot. The way back was more relaxed and I wasn't so focused on fuel econ. Overall it was awesome and I did way less than I thought I was going to do (or had calculated, so my fuel costs were way lower)

Fuel economy on the way there, stuck it in 6th, sat in cruise control at 100km/h the entire way to Montreal, I'm shocked that it was this low. I budgeted for fuel thinking this was going to be way higher.

Hit a milestone

\m/ pulled over to get the pics, also to find Maiden's "number of the beast" and throw that on to celebrate

I thought these were illegal

These SHOULD be illegal

Guy's ready to run Death Race

Stay classy Toronto

Picked these up for $400 off a guy with a SWP 2011 GR sedan off Kijiji

Nice nighttime pic

Hit another milestone

Sunset in Woodstock, NB

Final distance traveled for the whole trip (including all the booting around I did in the cities)

Final overall fuel economy for the entire trip (two weeks of booting around and an almost 4500km round trip).

Next up is I'm going to be getting Continental DWS06s put on the good set of wheels this coming week, and I tried installing my rear fog light today, turns out the supplied screws are too short so I gotta pick up some different ones before I go at it again.

Last edited by Cmdr_Madden; 05-24-18 at 07:23 PM. Reason: supplimentary info
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 05-24-18, 06:58 AM   #8
Cmdr_Madden
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Been away for the past month and a half, got home yesterday so there's not really that much in the way of anything being done to the car while I was gone, I got the DWS06s on the summer rims and changed the oil from "whatever" synthetic to Shell Rotella T6, about halfway to my next oil change as of right now. Only update is that I'm going to be putting in a Cobb catted DP and replacing the halogen bulbs with LEDs (I decided to use the HID housings I bought for the retrofit, whenever that may be)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-30-18, 06:23 PM   #9
Cmdr_Madden
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Installed the FIA 4th brake light/fog light that I've had in my trunk since last summer lol. it was a pain in the dick to get it mounted because the screws supplied don't reach through the bracket and the plastic, so I had to get new ones. In case anybody else has this same problem, I got myself a pair of M6x1.0 screws. Now to figure out how to wire the flippin' thing. but I'm halfway there though so that's good, and it also fills that gap out rather nicely.

*EDIT* Does anybody know which wires are what in the wiring harness that goes to the tail lights?

*EDIT 2* I finally wired the damned thing in, works great. Anybody who's in the same conundrum, trying to figure out how to wire it and can't get a straight answer out of google; here it is:

I connected it to the wires going into the brake light itself (couldn't figure out the wiring harness farther back, too many wires and i'm not smart enough to use a multi meter). I went black to black, green to red and red to the Black with a white stripe. Make sure that you cut the insulation up a little bit before using those vampire clips because they don't penetrate the insulation (you can use the little part where the metal bridge goes in as a window to line the wires up, or you can put a bit of pressure on the bridge and line it up by feel.

Light-----> Car
Red------> Black w White stripe (flasher/brake light activation)
Black-----> Black (ground)
Green----> Red (brake light pos)

*EDIT 3* If you have a 17+ WRX ( I think that's the year they changed the wiring around on the new gen), and you'd like to do the same thing;

Light-----> Car
Red------> Brown
Black-----> Black
Green----> Black w white stripe
White----> Yellow w red stripe

*This is for the light that has the reverse light built in, there's no flasher module built into this one, the white wire is the reverse light.

Hope this helps someone because there's NO information on how to do this on google and I just decided to try it out and see if it worked (originally colour matched red/black and green went to the B/W; obviously didn't work)

new light :3

front shot from today

Last edited by Cmdr_Madden; 07-15-18 at 03:41 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 06-22-18, 06:43 PM   #10
Cmdr_Madden
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got some LEDs in the mail today, installed the H11 LEDs and the amber turn signals, need to get the hyperflash module for them though. so far, the lights look AMAZING, what a huge difference between the old halogens and these new LEDs.

Next step is to go get the housings sanded and polished so they stop looking like garbage and then I can start thinking about what I want to do in terms of a full retrofit. Unfortunately the rest of the LEDs that I ordered haven't shown up yet so I have the privilege of a mishmash of incandescent and LED lights.

Fogs off

Fogs on
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement