GR Hatch: 2014 DGM Sti *IAG*KillerB*ID* 467WHP/485WTQ E85 - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2014 DGM Sti  *IAG*KillerB*ID* 467WHP/485WTQ E85
2014 DGM Sti  *IAG*KillerB*ID* 467WHP/485WTQ E85
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: 2014 DGM Sti *IAG*KillerB*ID* 467WHP/485WTQ E85

Old 12-23-15, 05:18 AM   #31
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: The car...
My Subaru Parts for sale

Joebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 2014 DGM Sti - Rocks in a can. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsautner View Post
Sounds like a rod bearing to me. Good luck with the repair. Hopefully Subaru takes care of you. Happened to me about 4,000 miles ago. It's an oiling issue and, sadly, NOT uncommon. As long as you've done your oil changes at the proper intervals you should be ok. You did say you were getting excessive blowby though. Were you checking your oil about every week or so to make sure you weren't low?

Ya know it's weird, the blow by wasn't excessive, I had thought it was at one point until I checked my buddies car. I thought it was, because when I popped the oil cap off while running, there was positive force, but that would make sense coming from the head. (Which I wasn't thinking about at the time, when I had that bad tank of gas). I had no smoke out the oil fill, or the dipstick tube either.

I actually wasn't using much, if any, oil between changes which I thought was kind of weird too. The GS AOS never even got installed for that reason, at this point I may even try and just sell it.

But yeah, just did the oil change a few days ago, oil level was good. If it is indeed a bearing, although I've never had a spun bearing sound so horrendous, I would bet the oil pick up tube is jacked. Sucks that I'll have to wait till next week to probably hear anything. Funny how the timing on this stuff is always bad haha
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-15, 09:34 AM   #32
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Joebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the rough

Plan is to possibly do an IAG stage 2. Even if they replace the motor under warranty. I may pull that and sell it to someone looking to upgrade.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-24-15, 09:50 AM   #33
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Loaner acquired yesterday.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-15, 11:12 AM   #34
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Tint
My Subaru Parts for sale

awenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebie View Post
Plan is to possibly do an IAG stage 2. Even if they replace the motor under warranty. I may pull that and sell it to someone looking to upgrade.
Why I didn't even bother to turn mine in for warranty. They clearly don't know how to build an engine so you're better off with anything else.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-26-15, 07:19 AM   #35
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
Why I didn't even bother to turn mine in for warranty. They clearly don't know how to build an engine so you're better off with anything else.
It's true, but it's good to have the loaner for now. I'm 99.9% sure I'm going with an IAG STG2 short block.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-27-15, 07:30 AM   #36
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Debating between STG2 and STG3.. I like the idea of the tighter tolerances of the STG3 because I daily this car.

Also getting a list together on things I need to complete the swap in a weekend.

I'm planning on getting
  • OEM gasket set
  • Killer B oil pan/pickup/baffle
  • air pump block off plates
  • Oil pressure gauge setup of some sort
  • AOS of some sort - maybe IAG
  • fuel rail upgrade??
  • new oil pump? High volume?
  • ARP head studs
Things with question marks I'm debating, and/or not sure on at the moment.

Also debating doing the steering rack while the engine is out of the car, since I would imagine it's easier.

I'll be staying stock turbo, and headers/uppipe until I can at least complete break in (mostly because of my broken bank account after the short block and everything else).

Any insight would be awesome :-)

Last edited by Joebie; 12-27-15 at 07:34 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-27-15, 08:37 AM   #37
STIGR-Wagon-Dad
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: DGM 08 WRX STI Zenki
Fav Mod: RalliTek sway bars+ Kartboy endlinks, Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura aboutSTIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura about

The rack would be nice, but still doable with the engine in place. It sounds like you are preparing for more power. I did a clutch upgrade to prep for more power and added a Fluidampr for reliabilty and to iron out the rest of the slight roughness these engines have. If you don't plan on going beyond 600hp, there is no need to go with IAGs stage 3 block. I also opted to go with a head gasket better than the stock one from JE. It maybe overkill, but I have a peace of mind that it has a lesser chance of failing.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-28-15, 03:43 AM   #38
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIGR-Wagon-Dad View Post
The rack would be nice, but still doable with the engine in place. It sounds like you are preparing for more power. I did a clutch upgrade to prep for more power and added a Fluidampr for reliabilty and to iron out the rest of the slight roughness these engines have. If you don't plan on going beyond 600hp, there is no need to go with IAGs stage 3 block. I also opted to go with a head gasket better than the stock one from JE. It maybe overkill, but I have a peace of mind that it has a lesser chance of failing.
Good point, the rack can wait. I think I may hold off on some other things too(rails)... as I really just need the car running again. This isn't my first rodeo in blown engines, so I should have been a little more prepared, but I got comfortable with the "newness" of the car and thinking it wouldn't happen so soon.

I may wait on the clutch too, it depends on how it looks, it seemed to be holding pretty well for the limited times I really asked a lot of it. For the most part I commute so I think it will be ok for the rest of the Winter.

Hope to hear back from the dealer today or tomorrow so I can at least make plans for a car in the interim if necessary.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-28-15, 07:20 AM   #39
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Ordered:

ARP head stud kit
OEM gasket kit (complete)

As for gauges, I don't really want a whole bunch of them, so I'm looking at one to do it all:

PLX multi DM-100
OBD OBD2 OBDII Touch Screen Multi Gauge | Auto OnBoard Diagnostic Scan
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-28-15, 09:10 AM   #40
STIGR-Wagon-Dad
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: DGM 08 WRX STI Zenki
Fav Mod: RalliTek sway bars+ Kartboy endlinks, Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura aboutSTIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebie View Post
Ordered:

ARP head stud kit
OEM gasket kit (complete)

As for gauges, I don't really want a whole bunch of them, so I'm looking at one to do it all:

PLX multi DM-100
OBD OBD2 OBDII Touch Screen Multi Gauge | Auto OnBoard Diagnostic Scan
I'm using Scantool OBDlink. It works, but I'll most likely switch over to btSSM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement