GR Hatch: Make it fast, Make it black! - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Make it fast, Make it black!
Make it fast, Make it black!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: Make it fast, Make it black!

Old 12-24-14, 04:41 AM   #41
LuvMyBlueSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: WRBlue 10 STi
Fav Mod: Ankle Twitch Enhancer
My Subaru Parts for sale

LuvMyBlueSTI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Make it fast, Make it black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenj View Post
Anybody have any idea what to do to fix the chrome?
I'm guessing you've moved on past this but I'll reply anyway. It is possible to polish or abrade a chrome coat on plastic to remove scratches, but it's finicky business. If you polish too deeply, your chrome is gone and you're hosed. The thing is, you don't have to polish completely through the scratch. If you round off the edges of the scratch, you can make it hard to see because it's the edge of the scratch that catches the light. If you can get ahold of an ultra-fine FEPA-grit 4000 silicon carbide paper and use it wet, it will work for your application. I've only bought it from Struers, a company in Denmark. You might need to start with a very light touch-up with 2400 grit, then hit it with 4000 for a few seconds, wash it, dry it with clean cotton and look at it.

You can also get a real fine diamond paste and apply it wet with a tight-weave cotton cloth. I'd try either 0.5 or 0.25 micron diamond and again, go slow and clean it periodically to see if it's working. Struers also makes a colloidal silica liquid abrasive that works great on plated polymers but it's a pain in the ass to use. It is 0.05 micron silica suspended in water and it cuts predictably, but if you let it go dry, it polymerizes and leaves a white film so you have to stay wet and clean it often.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-14, 06:26 AM   #42
stevenj
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Invidia HF Cat DP w/ SPT catback
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

stevenj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_STI View Post
You can use the McGards spline drive lugs on stock wheels...conveniently in black.
I was looking at those. Didn't know they would be that pricey, but they are supposed to be good. I've not heard anything bad about them anyways. Just have to decide if it's worth the extra money to get the locking set, but having to keep up with multiple sockets/tools just to take my wheels off is a bit of a pain.

Do you know of anybody that makes a closed end black lug nut that isn't spline or locking? And are they worth a damn?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-24-14, 12:01 PM   #43
CNY_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: EFI Logics Tune
My Subaru Parts for sale

CNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the rough

I think mutegi might but I don't believe they have the right face for the OEM wheels. For the McGards, I bought an extra socket, extension, and breaker bar and tucked them into the spare wheel well wrapped up with the spline drive....just a thought.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-14, 03:55 PM   #44
stevenj

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyBlueSTI View Post
I'm guessing you've moved on past this but I'll reply anyway. It is possible to polish or abrade a chrome coat on plastic to remove scratches, but it's finicky business. If you polish too deeply, your chrome is gone and you're hosed. The thing is, you don't have to polish completely through the scratch. If you round off the edges of the scratch, you can make it hard to see because it's the edge of the scratch that catches the light. If you can get ahold of an ultra-fine FEPA-grit 4000 silicon carbide paper and use it wet, it will work for your application. I've only bought it from Struers, a company in Denmark. You might need to start with a very light touch-up with 2400 grit, then hit it with 4000 for a few seconds, wash it, dry it with clean cotton and look at it.

You can also get a real fine diamond paste and apply it wet with a tight-weave cotton cloth. I'd try either 0.5 or 0.25 micron diamond and again, go slow and clean it periodically to see if it's working. Struers also makes a colloidal silica liquid abrasive that works great on plated polymers but it's a pain in the ass to use. It is 0.05 micron silica suspended in water and it cuts predictably, but if you let it go dry, it polymerizes and leaves a white film so you have to stay wet and clean it often.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep that for future reference, but yeah, I moved on from that and taped off the holes and painted them with duplicolor metalcast red. Looks really good. Just need a little bit of touch up on the flat black that chipped in a few spots and they are done.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-24-14, 04:02 PM   #45
stevenj

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
I think mutegi might but I don't believe they have the right face for the OEM wheels. For the McGards, I bought an extra socket, extension, and breaker bar and tucked them into the spare wheel well wrapped up with the spline drive....just a thought.
So, now I'm a little confused. You said you keep all those things all together. But don't you just use the spline drive to take the lugs on and off? what's the socket and extension for?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-25-14, 05:06 AM   #46
CNY_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: EFI Logics Tune
My Subaru Parts for sale

CNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenj View Post
So, now I'm a little confused. You said you keep all those things all together. But don't you just use the spline drive to take the lugs on and off? what's the socket and extension for?
The spline drive piece that comes with the McGards is a different size than the stock lugnuts so the tools in the back don't fit. Don't want to get stranded with a flat tire.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-25-14, 09:17 AM   #47
stevenj

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
The spline drive piece that comes with the McGards is a different size than the stock lugnuts so the tools in the back don't fit. Don't want to get stranded with a flat tire.
Ok, got it. So I'm guessing you just need the extension to clear the fender? I have a 19mm impact socket I use that just barely clears the fender with my breaker bar or torque wrench. I'm sure if I don't pay attention when I'm doing it that I'll hit the fender with the wrench, so I'll probably be getting an impact extension when I get the lugs ordered. I'm hoping I can find somebody putting them on sale for after christmas or new year's sale.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-26-14, 03:22 PM   #48
stevenj

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Well, all the interior parts I painted have all cured and I re-installed them all today. It looks great! Crappy pictures, but they look great in person. I'm going to get my brother, who is a professional sports photographer to shoot some quality pictures of everything when I go on vacation in February.

Here goes:

Despite what it looks like from my camera phone, the red shift knob came out flawless.

I guess I'll have to take the blue face for my Cobb AP and paint that black now. Just looks odd sitting out there with the silver/grey face on it.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-27-14, 11:34 AM   #49
themoosestache
Joined the Conversation

Car: Black 08 WRX STI
Fav Mod: Blitz NUR Spec CT-I Exhaust
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

themoosestache is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been following this thread for a bit now. I appreciate all your posts and it has been giving me some awesome ideas to do to my own. Keep up the awesome work!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-27-14, 02:24 PM   #50
stevenj

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoosestache View Post
I have been following this thread for a bit now. I appreciate all your posts and it has been giving me some awesome ideas to do to my own. Keep up the awesome work!
Thanks. Just give yourself plenty of time to do what ever it is you want to do, then double it. I swear not one of the things I've done to my car has taken anywhere near the "recommended time". But then again, I'm kind of crazy about attention detail. I blame the Navy. I blame most things on the Navy...

Just about to seal up the reverse lights. Pics coming soon.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement