GR Hatch: Make it fast, Make it black! - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Make it fast, Make it black!
Make it fast, Make it black!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: Make it fast, Make it black!

Old 09-06-14, 03:51 PM   #21
stevenj
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Invidia HF Cat DP w/ SPT catback
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

stevenj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Make it fast, Make it black!

Here's another attempt at some pictures of the blacked out headlights.

Last edited by stevenj; 12-17-14 at 06:55 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-14, 08:15 PM   #22
stevenj

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So I've been glued to my couch for the past 3 weeks after having surgery to repair a ligament in my left ankle. I know, it's sad. The most important foot to drive my car. So I decided this would be a great time to knock out a bunch of cosmetic projects and get the Kartboy shifter package installed and some other things since my car is going to be sitting in the garage for at least 2 months. So I finally got approval to order the Kartboy Short shifter with the complete bushing set, Cobb SF intake with Air box and Subaru Group N engine and transmission mounts and pitch stop. Not like she could stop me, I'm sitting on my couch all day with a computer and a credit card. And it's black friday time.

Got the gray grill mustache and the chrome surrounds on the subaru emblems painted gloss black yesterday. Just waiting for them to cure before I take pics and put them back on the car. I picked up some new emblems for subarubits.co.uk, black background with red stars because I tired to do it myself and ruined them. I'll have pictures up shortly once I hobble out there and re-install them.

Going to tackle cutting the tail lights open this week and get them all blacked out. Still waiting to hear back from the guy that's going to powder coat my BBS wheels for me. Hopefully this week.

Pictures should be up soon.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-30-14, 08:31 PM   #23
JeremySmith220
Developing Advanced Mastery

Fav Mod: Borg Warner EFR7670
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

JeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenj View Post
After that I decided to install the SPT boost gauge. I know a lot of people on here hate it, but it matches and it's plug and play. Worst part was getting the tube through the firewall. Just flat out awkward hanging upside down in your driver's seat.

Attachment 33371
Are you sure you dont want more than 20 psi of boost?
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-14, 08:42 PM   #24
stevenj

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith220 View Post
Are you sure you dont want more than 20 psi of boost?
I'll probably get rid of it when I get a double gauge cluster for oil pressure/temp in the future. Since the accessport gauges reads boost better anyways. I like that it shows your max boost so you don't have to stare at the boost gauge while you're trying to weave through traffic with your foot to the floor.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-14, 04:25 PM   #25
stevenj

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

My quest for a blacked out STi hatchback is nearly complete. Just got my wheels powder coated and they look amazing. Getting the tires put back on tomorrow. Also only have a few spots to touch up on the brake and reverse lights and then I can finally put those back together. Grill mustache is painted and curing now as well as the Subaru emblem surrounds. Should be able to put those back together tomorrow.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-14, 04:35 PM   #26
stevenj

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Here's a couple of pics of the factory BBS wheels powder coated black from JRPW (Jimmy Rivers Performance Works) in Augusta, GA. Excellent company to deal with and top notch work.

Last edited by stevenj; 12-17-14 at 06:57 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-14, 04:43 PM   #27
stevenj

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Just a few pics of prep and paint of the tail lights. I wanted to keep a small amount of something chrome plated to match the bit that I left unpainted on the headlights for the high beams. So I decided to fill in the holes for the brake lights with play-doh and give it a shot. I'll have to wait until tomorrow once the play-doh is fully dried out and use a hobby knife to cut around the edge and pull it out. I also did a light couple coats of Duplicolor metal cast grey on the red reflectors for a slight smoked look.

I'll be posting more pics as I start piecing it all back together.

Last edited by stevenj; 12-17-14 at 07:06 PM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-14, 08:50 PM   #28
s.sands
Becoming A Contributor

Car: Silver 2010 STI
Fav Mod: PIA PROTUNE. GS UPPIPE. 44MM EWG, RINGLAND FAILURE
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

s.sands is an unknown quantity at this point

how did you get the tails apart! I was certain it wasn't possible since you are the first I've seen accomplish this! Let me know please!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-14, 09:04 PM   #29
stevenj

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Those suckers are melted together unlike the headlights. Here's the write up I used: https://www.iwsti.com/forums/diy-mods...il-lights.html

It's not the easiest, but if you follow this guys instructions to the letter, you'll be fine. I messed up a few spots, but luckily I'll be able to hide it with a bit of extra work. I didn't cut my lines close enough to the edge, so there was still some chrome left on the inside of the reverse lights. So I just taped off the center portion of the reverse light cover where the light actually comes through and I'm going to paint the clear part around it. I'll post a picture up tomorrow of what I'm talking about in case you run into that issue.

Wear goggles and a face mask. When you use that diamond wheel on the dremel, the plastic that you cut out kind of melts and gets thrown all over the place. Definitely don't try this inside your living room. The OP of that link didn't try to paint the outer edge/seem of the housing, but someone later on in that thread says he did by just taping off everything else and shooting paint in there. That's what I did. Works pretty well. I couldn't quite get enough paint in the edges to my liking so I'm going to use a tiny brush and get the rest of it tomorrow.

I've not seen anybody not paint the light holes like I did. But I haven't taken the play-doh out yet so tomorrow I'll see how that came out. I'll definitely will be posting pics of that tomorrow as well.

Anyways, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'm on this forum nearly everyday.

Good luck.

p.s. Even though my wife is from Seattle, I hope you aren't a Seachicken fan. ***from a diehard Saints/Aint's fan***
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-11-14, 02:38 AM   #30
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

Looks great! Can't wait to see them installed.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement