GR Sedan: awenthol's 2013 - Replace all the things - Page 8 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
awenthol's 2013 - Replace all the things
awenthol's 2013 - Replace all the things
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Sedan: awenthol's 2013 - Replace all the things

Old 05-22-15, 07:32 PM   #71
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Tint
My Subaru Parts for sale

awenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: awenthol's 2013 - Replace all the things

Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-15, 06:16 PM   #72
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

awenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the rough

I'll get better pics in the light of day but--cool all the things.

Washer fluid tank and forgot to get pics, but I mounted the coolant catch can next to it. Oil catch cans are tucked under the driver side headlight.

Blurry, but....

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-13-15, 02:26 PM   #73
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Not that anybody probably cares but...

Ordered the 4.38mm Subaru buckets and they were still too thick for all my valves. Said screw it and ordered a set of SuperTech shimmed valves. They were no problem for my exhaust valves (easily lashed to w/in 0.2mm) but still had issues wtih 3 of my intake valves. Took the smallest shims SuperTech sells (1.35mm) and had 0.05 and 0.10mm trimmed off.

As always, excuse the crappy picture quality

Heads are done

Engine Assembled

And installed

AND..............it won't start. Had fuel leaks causing problems. Then I discovered my key wasn't being detected (ignition lockout). All that fixed and still nothing. Tore the engine back down to confirm timing was right and reset it anyway (counting teeth instead of relying on lines).

Compression is good--107-120psi (keeping in mind rings aren't set).

No fault codes. Spark plugs were wet (ie, getting fuel).

Ran out of time...so, here it sits again.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-15, 02:38 PM   #74
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Other mistakes--didn't fully understand how the cam seals worked and ordered the wrong set (well, half a wrong set). Spent a morning calling every Subaru dealership in the area, trying to find parts in stock.

Had to make bracket number 3 for fuel pressure regulator--first was too high, second interfered with the A/C line, third is adjustable...

Boomba rails are unnecessarily large and very awkward in-chassis...hindsight, I'd rather have a traditional rail.

Mishimoto hard tube coolant pipe is absolutely garbage--ended up throwing it out. OD is smaller than ID of silicone hose and fitmet was horrible. Clamps were too small. Setup was unnecessarily heavy.

Haven't done any "routing and clipping" because I'm waiting for the POS to start, so that is still a mess.

Lastly, me thinks the 4 gauge power wire I got is not enough. It *may* have been a dead battery but I ended up running a second power source directly to the starter when I was trying to get it started.

Also, additional things, as of recent;

-KS Tech Mega MAF intake

-Braille Battery is on the way and I have the mount for it--just need my rivet nuts to come in so I can mount it in the trunk

-Whiteline roll center/bumpsteer--needs an alignment, so I figured I'd better get it over with, now. Was a slight PITA to get the "cones" off the factory ball joint.

-Proper fire extinguisher and ASI fire extinguisher mount

-And, just a ton of misc. hose and fittings

Last edited by awenthol; 07-13-15 at 02:42 PM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 07-14-15, 04:54 AM   #75
STi Addict
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Turning the key over
My Subaru Parts for sale

STi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of light

Woooo good progress
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-25-15, 04:42 PM   #76
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Couldn't make the Boomba fuel rails work so I ditched them for IAG with fuel dampers

Last edited by awenthol; 08-25-15 at 05:07 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-25-15, 04:46 PM   #77
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Been fighting a crank no start for a month+. Finally hooked up a DAQ tool and found issues with RH Exhaust cam being off. Pulled the gear and found the dowel ended up in one of the oil holes.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-25-15, 04:51 PM   #78
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Bought a new cam gear and finally started it up. Did the 20 minute cam break-in (Amsoil Break-In). Dumped the oil (nice and glittery--waiting for oil analysis) and refilled with Amsoil Break-In. Put 200 HARD miles on it (lug curve pulls). Changed oil again and refilled with synthetic and hooked up my oil cooler.

Coolant temps are staying around 190F but is pushing water out so that when it cools there's a void in the radiator...don't know if this is going to be the norm.

Oil temps are staying around 180-190 thanks to the t-stat.

Lastly, broke an axle today because why not, I haven't spent enough on this effing car this year.

Still have an issue with a cam gear claiming it's in advance, which is throwing the car in limp mode. Replaced sensor and didn't fix.

Car is amazingly smooth, considering I've now replaced almost every single mount. Triple disc is LOUD AS SHIT but is amazingly smooth, easy to take off with and BUTTER SMOOTH with shifts. Cams sound unreal--actually sounds like a rally car, now....that growl.

Can't believe how big of a difference the steering rack has made. Should have been this way from the factory.

Last edited by awenthol; 08-25-15 at 04:55 PM.
Likes 4 Dislikes 0

Old 08-26-15, 07:15 AM   #79
STi Addict
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Turning the key over
My Subaru Parts for sale

STi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of light

What's an axle compared to so many smiles per gallon

Glad to see you have your car running
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-27-15, 12:56 PM   #80
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi Addict View Post
What's an axle compared to so many smiles per gallon awenthol's 2013 - Replace all the things

Glad to see you have your car running
Still tired of dumping tons of money... Just this month I've done wire harness, cam gear, fuel rails, more fuel line, - AN fittings, and now it'll be a bit until I can do DSS (so probably not this year).

Finally cut oil filters apart. Look good. Only had fine shavings in the oil itself.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement