GR Sedan: awenthol's 2013 - Replace all the things - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
awenthol's 2013 - Replace all the things
awenthol's 2013 - Replace all the things
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Sedan: awenthol's 2013 - Replace all the things

Old 12-29-14, 06:56 PM   #31
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Tint
My Subaru Parts for sale

awenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: awenthol's 2013 - Replace all the things

Today's theme is cams...

Blueprinted my Kelford cams to find that the second intake lobe for every cylinder is 0.030" shorter than the rest. Kelford got back to me saying their testing showed better performance (swirl) with the mis-matched lift, so they incorporated it in their production cams. Said I was one of the few to actually notice

After reading the NASIOC thread on cam failures, I decided to modify the Kelfords to more closely match the lobe position (ie valve cup rotation) to the factory cams, clean up the castings and cut some weight (which I managed to do quite a bit of).

My calc's show spring load + rotational torque shouldn't be a problem with the modification to the base shaft diameter...but I did have to make some assumptions on material strength.

Before

During/After

Cams will get cryo-treated, then possibly have them coated...haven't decided.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-14, 07:19 PM   #32
LuvMyBlueSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: WRBlue 10 STi
Fav Mod: Ankle Twitch Enhancer
My Subaru Parts for sale

LuvMyBlueSTI is on a distinguished road

How much diameter did you machine away?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-30-14, 07:13 PM   #33
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

awenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyBlueSTI View Post
How much diameter did you machine away?
Varies--the cams themselves were different (intake to intake, exhaust to exhaust) and throughout the shaft, they were quite varied. For some spots, I only took a couple hundredths whereas others, I took 3/10's +.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-14, 07:20 PM   #34
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

A couple more pics--around the journals, before and during

Also got wiring sorted out. Power goes directly to the proper post in the fuse box, and I did a new power cable to the starter (old one goes directly to the battery). Did a distribution block for negative, since I will be "over-grounding" the car and don't want it completely half-assed.

One neg to fender, per factory mounting.
One neg to starter mounting
One neg to alternator

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-03-15, 05:44 PM   #35
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
Got the trans back in...and decided to go with Torque Solutions trans mount, since I had everything apart. Well, aside from it not being installable without separating it (bushing bolts interfere with trans cap screws), I found that they powder coated over rusty parts (paint started peeling like crazy. Sent them an email and haven't heard back.

Image Link

Image Link

Torque Solution sent me half of a new mount (not whole thing--IMO, BS--and made me pay shipping for it). Tested the new part and the powder coating is peeling and the part is corroded underneath. They told me they're not replacing/refunding/taking back the part. POS company...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-04-15, 04:44 AM   #36
Simon
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Black 2010 STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Simon is on a distinguished road

Subscribed.

I like what you did with the fuel lines, it looks really solid. Just out of curiosity, when does it become important to change the lines that go from the pump to the regulator ? I was planning on doing just pump, injectors and going to a parallel setup but otherwise keeping everything else stock.

Anyway looks pretty good ! Looking forward to see how things turn out.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-04-15, 05:28 AM   #37
LuvMyBlueSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: WRBlue 10 STi
Fav Mod: Ankle Twitch Enhancer
My Subaru Parts for sale

LuvMyBlueSTI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
Torque Solution sent me half of a new mount (not whole thing--IMO, BS--and made me pay shipping for it). Tested the new part and the powder coating is peeling and the part is corroded underneath. They told me they're not replacing/refunding/taking back the part. POS company...
I appreciate the info. I had Torque Solutions on the list of possibilities. I'd like to keep my stock motor and trans mounts until I get a new motor built. I know the group N is good stuff at a great price but am tempted by the aftermarket.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-04-15, 01:37 PM   #38
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Subscribed.

I like what you did with the fuel lines, it looks really solid. Just out of curiosity, when does it become important to change the lines that go from the pump to the regulator ? I was planning on doing just pump, injectors and going to a parallel setup but otherwise keeping everything else stock.

Anyway looks pretty good ! Looking forward to see how things turn out.
I don't know if there's a "magic HP number" but keep in mind, the factory system is 5/16" from the tank to the firewall...-6AN is 3/8" ID, which is 44% larger area--huge bump is flow capacity. I would think anything over 400hp (flywheel) you'd want at least 3/8".

I do know that the Shelby Mustangs ('13-'14) have no issues running ~800hp flywheel (E85, even) with 3/8" line and enough fuel pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyBlueSTI View Post
I appreciate the info. I had Torque Solutions on the list of possibilities. I'd like to keep my stock motor and trans mounts until I get a new motor built. I know the group N is good stuff at a great price but am tempted by the aftermarket.
Yeah, I'm sure Group-N would be a lot more than I'd ever need, but figured WTH, already got this much dumped into the car...

Last edited by awenthol; 01-04-15 at 01:41 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-01-15, 01:36 PM   #39
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Head shots

No material out of combustion chamber. Not sure if I'll need to. Truth be told, I hadn't ordered the crank yet, but it's on it's way now...so rods/pistons are here and I'll be able to mock everything up/verify compression ratio.

I was playing around with the factory crank--plastigauging the King XPG bearings (perfect 0.0015" clearance, all the way around. Will (obviously) have to redo when the Manley crank shows.

I'm now--very seriously--considering pinning the sleeves and doing some ceramic coating on valve faces and piston heads. Before ceramic, though, everything is going to be cryo'd.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-14-15, 04:34 PM   #40
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Manley Crank - 79mm - MAN-190040B
Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beams w/625+ bolts - MAN-14416R6-4
Manley Extreme Duty Pistons (99.5mm, 8.5:1 comp) - 632200CE-4

Overkill?

Likes 5 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement