GR Hatch: Maz's 2013 DGM STI - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Maz's 2013 DGM STI
Maz's 2013 DGM STI
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: Maz's 2013 DGM STI

Old 12-19-14, 07:26 AM   #31
BJJMark95
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Turn in Concepts & E85
My Subaru Parts for sale

BJJMark95 will become famous soon enoughBJJMark95 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Maz's 2013 DGM STI

turn around on the killer be EWG modification is about a week but you have to send them both your header and UP because they are V banded and have to be put together to modify the UP.

I would honestly wait and do it all at once. That way you only tune once and that saves you money PLUS the installs and the down time (especially if you arent doing the labor yourself).

For the time being - anything that you can do yourself and wont require a tune is where I would be heading.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-14, 03:19 PM   #32
S1ckWrx
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2012 DGM WRX
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

S1ckWrx is on a distinguished road

check in AZP for that work aswel, theyve done wonders for me!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-20-14, 10:40 AM   #33
MazNJ
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Spoolinator
My Subaru Parts for sale

MazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to all

As they're not too far and apparently do alignments, I'll have to check them out.

Prime did respond with a couple of estimates.

Sadly, it just gives me a /LOT/ to think about.

The Spoolinator package just needs so much more to support it that I initially thought - basically would have to build the whole block which is perfectly healthy and low mileage right now :/ Fast spool is nice and +100 whp is /nothing/ to sneeze at, but for... I'm guessing probably $15K in parts and labor (and Prime's prices are very fair and competitive, no issues here)... I just don't see it being worthwhile. If I'm doing that much supporting work, I might as well just go stupid at that point which I have no desire really to do.

They offered me the option of a Dom 1.5XTR also which wouldn't require building the block out (we'd just do drop-in pistons).

An extreme option for me would be to give up on the STI. The Audi S3 or RS3 might be better options. A used GTR would work too at a similar price but I'd really need a 2nd car for a daily then.

Well, I'm no longer motivated to move fast so I'll just think about it.

I could also just stop modding but that would make my wife too happy.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-14, 06:05 AM   #34
MazNJ
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

MazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to all

Ok, so rather than put it up in the build plan as I'm totally unresolved to any one option at this point, I'll add it here. Ultimately, I'm doing /something/. I'm thinking one way or another, I'll do something suspension oriented as I can make the most use of that and enjoy it plus the bounciness of the stock suspension did make a hill at NJMP Lightning a smidge daunting. But I think I still need to convince myself that +100 whp or maybe +125 whp is worth $15K or so.

Suspension (definitely will do):
Option A - GTWorx Bilsteins
Option B - Tein Street Flex with EDFC (sp)
I came up with these options due to my car being first and foremost a daily driver and I live in the sort of countryside and occassionally go on non-paved roads or roads that you would swear weren't paved I don't want a significant ride height drop as my driveway isn't exactly flat...

Power:
Proposal A (my ideas with input from [email protected] for spoolinator plus Prime's recommendations based on their experience)
Prime Motoring Short Block /w:
Cosworth 9.2:1 99.5m pistons
Carrillo Pro-SA 3/8 WMC Bolt Connecting Roads
King Rod Bearings
King Main Bearings
New OEM STI Crank Shaft
Check/Deck Heads & Deglaze Hone Cylinder Walls
ARP L19 Head Studs
OEM Subaru Engine Gasket Kit
Gates OEM Timing Belt Kit
OEM Subaru Thermostat and Gasket
NGK LFR7AIX Spark Plugs
P&L Direct Fuel Pump Wire Kit
Competition Clutch Kit Stage 3
Resurface Flywheel
Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
Torque Solutions Billet Timing Guide
Killer B Spoolinator Kit w/GTX3067 .63 AR
IAG Fuel Rail Set
IAG Braided Fuel Line & Fitting Kit
IAG A1000 FPR
Left off estimate but should be there: Tial MV-S 38mm wastegate and

Proposal B (awaiting actual estimate so just verbal):
Dom 1.5XTR
Pistons as above
Uncertain what else
I'm guessing this would deliver +50 whp?
I'm thinking I'd add on the air pump delete, bov, and a few other things as well to support it.

Things I'm thinking, thanks to a conversation with a board guru, is maybe change the internals to match a single manufacturer... maybe manley and turbotuffs or something. I'm also resigned to maybe go EWG... as long as the spring is set right and maybe if I get a muffler for the dump tube it wouldn't get me too much grief...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-24-14, 07:22 PM   #35
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

If I had to do it all over again, I would save up and build with lots of headroom in mind because it is always cheaper in the long run. Only consider this if you are planning to keep the car for a long time

For instance IAG's rotated kit is $4800 (vs. $3400 Spoolinator) aside from the included GTX30/35 (with Tial Housing, +$350 normally) it includes the GTSpec Header, Tial EWG/uppipe, 3" downpipe, Tial BOV, 4" intake. The unspoken benefits include the ability to any T3 housing turbocharger which means versatility-wise you can fit a very quick spooling turbo like GTX3071 to a monster 1000HP turbo like the Forced Performance Super94, it literally takes 1-2hours to swap. Plus you can run a huge 4inch diameter intake straight into the turbo, something you can't do with stock location, great for spool and power. You can also sell off your stock turbo and other stock location components.

As far as shortblocks, if you do closed deck for an extra $875, go with Manley TurboTuffs for $788, and ARP625s you take a plain $3200 Stage 2 shortblock (stock semiclosed deck, Manley H-tuffs, and ARP2000) that can handle 600whp to something that can handle 800whp. It not only gives you that room to grow into but makes running anything less than that power level safer.

Headwork wise, IAG stage V heads run around $5000 (expensive Kelford cams included) and flow more than Cosworth heads. You can reuse your head castings and save $1280. Here is the before and after comparison: ***FAQ***How much would upgraded cams/Pnp heads/bigger valves benefit me?. IAG does all the port and polishing in-house now so turnaround time is way faster

Miscellaneous parts like gaskets, injectors, pump, FPR, TGV deletes, FMIC, radiator, thermostat would come out to be around $4000.

So around $20k-$25k you can potentially hit 800whp which is +500whp +125whp for $15k is not worth it

Last edited by user1029; 12-24-14 at 07:33 PM.
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 12-25-14, 01:44 AM   #36
beelow
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: CRTEK + Prova D-shaped
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

beelow is on a distinguished road

Great knowledge and experience shared here!

By stock semiclosed do you mean the ej255 out of foresters and wrx?
i read they would accept sti heads and the shortblock is literally the same.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-25-14, 06:27 AM   #37
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V

My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelow View Post
Great knowledge and experience shared here!

By stock semiclosed do you mean the ej255 out of foresters and wrx?
i read they would accept sti heads and the shortblock is literally the same.
Yup the stock shortblocks for the USDM WRX and STi
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-28-14, 06:37 AM   #38
MazNJ
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKabTaAfwGw
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-28-14, 07:05 AM   #39
MazNJ
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, 25K for +500 seems a much stronger value proposition than 15K for +125. I plan on keeping my car for a while but I keep getting GTR envy and then luxury car envy... so I am hesitant to take the next step.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-28-14, 06:55 PM   #40
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazNJ View Post
Yeah, 25K for +500 seems a much stronger value proposition than 15K for +125. I plan on keeping my car for a while but I keep getting GTR envy and then luxury car envy... so I am hesitant to take the next step.
The way I did was more piecemeal because there are checkpoints in the progression. I didn't just show up to IAG one day and drop a duffle bag of $$$$

I did the rotated kit first + supporting mods ($7000) and got +110whp. My stock motor was 100% healthy, got a good tune, monitored it and got 45,000 miles out of it. During that time, my priority was to save up for a Stage 2 shortblock ($3200) then my stock motor was still alive 3 years later at which I had time to save up for their head package ($5000). The parts accumulated in a bin at IAG so by 60,000 miles I was bored of the power on the stock block, dropped the car off, 2 weeks later they put the entire longblock together and tuned it, I was set to go

Had the stock motor blew up, I already would have at least had the Stage 2 shortblock ready to go
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement