GR Hatch: Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust! - Page 39 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!
Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!

Old 05-26-17, 06:43 PM   #381
STIGR-Wagon-Dad
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: DGM 08 WRX STI Zenki
Fav Mod: RalliTek sway bars+ Kartboy endlinks, Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura aboutSTIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
Jesus, you're having bad luck this year.
And I'm in the middle of troubleshooting my wife's B9 Tribeca overheating issue. It just doesn't end, it seems. Never had issues like this with my past Toyota cars. I maybe the few who actually cracked the new Killer B header. It's only been on the car for a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-17, 11:28 AM   #382
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

Fav Mod: RalliTek sway bars+ Kartboy endlinks, Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura aboutSTIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura about

And now, on to the crack show! After going back to the stock manifold, I can feel the power loss and turbo lag. The car is tuned for the header, though. After driving with the stock manifold, I think the car doesn't sound good. I want to put the header back on, after it gets repaired, of course.Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-29-17, 01:34 PM   #383
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I did the spark plugs today. The plugs are fouled and has gap erosion. I finally installed the HKS spark plugs. Platinum ground with iridium tip in a 1 step colder heat range. Idle is smooth again. I don't like the noticeable drop in torque and high rpm power loss with the stock manifold.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-17, 02:05 PM   #384
CTSparky
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: SS lines and master cyl brace
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CTSparky is on a distinguished road

the good news is that the manifold is warrantied for life. Just call them and work out the details.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-29-17, 03:10 PM   #385
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSparky View Post
the good news is that the manifold is warrantied for life. Just call them and work out the details.
I had just sent the header back to Killer B yesterday. From what I had read on this forum and NASIOC, they had taken care of folks and stood by their products. I didn't think I was going to break this header. Lol

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-30-17, 03:39 AM   #386
CTSparky
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: SS lines and master cyl brace
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CTSparky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIGR-Wagon-Dad View Post
I had just sent the header back to Killer B yesterday. From what I had read on this forum and NASIOC, they had taken care of folks and stood by their products. I didn't think I was going to break this header. Lol

I've known of a few breaks. In the version 1's they happened and that was one reason they went to the version 2's.

And I've heard of some version 2's starting to crack at the merge of the collector.

But again they stand behind their products, so it is no worry aside form the turn around time.

Sparky
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-31-17, 01:57 AM   #387
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: The car...
My Subaru Parts for sale

Joebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the rough

Mine started cracking, unfortunately I wasn't the first owner. But for the price they charged me, it was a *KILLER* deal to replace it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-31-17, 07:12 AM   #388
Delphi
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: 6 Speed
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Delphi will become famous soon enough

I'm not intending to throw shade but cue talking straight out of my ass because I am no Materials Engineer.

During welding of 321 stainless loss of titanium is an issue. So maybe this is why they crack at the weld. But it is not solely due to the welds. If you seen videos of these headers in action you know the collector is an area of very high heat stress. AKA glowing bright orange which could indicate temps upwards of 900c (1650F which coincides with EGT's seen in hard runs). I know 321 is less prone to hot cracking due to the addition of the titanium, but with the loss of titanium during the weld process it "COULD" be the reason why they are cracking at the welds. Also 321 stainless does thermally expand more than 304 which doesn't help at those highly stressed areas.

Also Ethanol fuels(e85/e98) contain more chlorides than standard gasoline. From what I understand 321 doesn't like chlorides ions. Similarly to 304/304l stainless.

Straight arse talking but that is just what I have gathered from reading 321 spec sheets.

Maybe this sheds some potential reasons why they are usually cracking at the collector (at least from what I have seen). Maybe I am completely wrong.

Last edited by Delphi; 05-31-17 at 07:16 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-14-17, 02:44 PM   #389
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Killer B Motorsport standing by their product. The header is back!Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-19-17, 06:34 PM   #390
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Fresh wrap. Heatshield Products Inferno wrap.

Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement