GR Hatch: Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust! - Page 29 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!
Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!

Old 04-05-16, 07:25 PM   #281
STIGR-Wagon-Dad
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: DGM 08 WRX STI Zenki
Fav Mod: RalliTek sway bars+ Kartboy endlinks, Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura aboutSTIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH View Post
It's going to be interesting to see your numbers against mine for the Steamspeed 76XL that I got from you. Been driving on what I think is our equivalent to your 91 on spring pressure only. Car already feels great. Hoping to get the car on the Dyno in early May for the final tune.
Nice! I've been kinda curious to what your turbo will do since I've sent it. My car will be on the dyno tomorrow.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-16, 01:13 PM   #282
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

Fav Mod: RalliTek sway bars+ Kartboy endlinks, Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura aboutSTIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura about

The car is done but the numbers don't speak for what it should be. The dyno at Infamous had some problems, and my tuner had a car run on it to be sure and it was reading 40whp less than the previous run before the dyno broke. The numbers read the same as the last run with this new turbo, but it sure does feel way more powerful.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-16, 12:55 PM   #283
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I like this turbo! It is perfect with my driving style or bad habits. It is easier to drive in stop and go traffic. The stock turbo was pretty close to an on/off switch and was sort of a pain to drive. The Tomei ARMS M8265 is a little laggy, but my engine has slightly higher compression, so engine response does not suffer. It actually is more responsive, most likely from the 9.0:1 comp pistons, Killer B manifold, and less back pressure from the new turbo. I am guessing volumetric efficiency has improved with this combo. My gas mileage has improved as I am able to stay off boost easier while cruising. The engine response is great. While on boost, it hits hard, even under 4k rpm, and the Synapse Engineering diverter valve assists with turbo response under boost and gear change. While I do not know what the actual numbers are, since the dyno calibration factors were lost due to the computer crashing and lack of support from the makers of the dyno, my tuner say this set up is good for over 400whp and it definitely feels that way. Thanks to Mike and Dylan of Infamous Performance for the quick turnaround, and Bill from Delicious Tuning for extracting the power out of the engine.

The Tomei ARMS M8265 would have been the perfect turbo for my application, but the oil line bolt leaked and needed to be replaced with an aluminum one from Blouch. The wastegate actuator spring was not the advertised spring pressure of 12.8lbs, but more close to 22lbs, as the dyno showed 22 psi of boost, my tuner had to work around this and told me he could have extracted more power on lower boost. Other than that, it performs to my expectations.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-16, 05:43 PM   #284
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ings+1 front grill installed.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-16, 10:02 AM   #285
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Running on 91 octane the car is still more powerful than the stock turbo. Almost as powerful as the E85 on the stock turbo. The loss of low end is apparent from idle to 4.5k rpm, but the rush to redline from 4.5k makes up for it. It is really responsive in the upper part of the powerband. Much easier to drive around town as the turbo stays out of boost below 4k rpm at part throttle. The stock turbo got into boost, even at part throttle and can be a pita driving in stop and go traffic. The characteristics have definitely changed, and it fits my driving habits, keeping the rpm high and engine braking and getting power all the way to redline. The stock turbo was choking the engine past 5k rpm.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-16, 06:07 PM   #286
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Man, busted up pipe! It sounded mean on acceleration, though. Lol
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-16, 08:16 PM   #287
CSC
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 14 PBP WRX STi GRB
Fav Mod: Misfire Motorsports
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CSC is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just about to order that up-pipe too =(
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-16, 08:18 PM   #288
ReiDetailing
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Greddy SE Exhaust
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ReiDetailing has a spectacular aura aboutReiDetailing has a spectacular aura about

Was that the Grimmspeed up-pipe that failed? How did that happen?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-16, 08:45 PM   #289
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

It's an older version of Grimmspeed when they used 304 flex opposed to 321 flex used now. It was a matter of time and I'm surprised it lasted this long, considering that people had reported them leaking in a much shorter amount of time. I do have a Perrin big tube up pipe replacement, though.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-16, 08:59 PM   #290
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I forgot to mention the Mishimoto oil cooler kit won't fit with the Killer B header. Oil filter will not fit.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement