GR Hatch: Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust! - Page 20 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!
Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!

Old 10-20-15, 02:27 AM   #191
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: The car...
My Subaru Parts for sale

Joebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Don's 08 STI. STI Hatchback/Wagon or bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIGR-Wagon-Dad View Post
Yup, older fpr and protuned. But it was protuned with a motor on it's way out. It stumbles from 2500-3500 on part throttle from 2nd gear and up. Even more on up hills and very light throttle. Hopefully it goes away after retune on higher compression.
If you're on a Cobb AP, can you open up Access Tuner Race and look at the map values at all? I would take a look at the load compensation tables and see if they are out of whack. Cobb's stage 3 has both TGV open and TGV closed zero'd out on their stage 3 map (with FPR/pump/injectors/relocation of FPR reference line). I was running 20% in my map until I relocated my FPR ref. line and ended up zero'ing all the tables out, haven't had any issues.

Hope you get it sorted out! If not... maybe time for a rail/FPR upgrade
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-15, 06:04 AM   #192
CNY_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: EFI Logics Tune
My Subaru Parts for sale

CNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the rough

You can always take a nice long drive up to Julian. Best path I found for that was up I-15 to I-76. Take I-76 east to I-79 south and then I-79 into Julian.

I believe round trip from San Diego was about 200 miles or so, and perfect stopping point in the middle with some awesome sandwiches in Julian.

Another decent way is taking I-8 east to I-79 north and go backwards.

If you really want to pile on the miles, you can take I-76 all the way to/from I-5.

I would definitely get the stumble sorted before driving this route as there are a lot of tight turns and elevation change which would result in light to no throttle.

Last edited by CNY_STI; 10-20-15 at 08:05 AM. Reason: I can't spell and only notice when i get quoted
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-20-15, 06:21 AM   #193
STIGR-Wagon-Dad
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: DGM 08 WRX STI Zenki
Fav Mod: RalliTek sway bars+ Kartboy endlinks, Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura aboutSTIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_STI View Post
You can always take a nice long drive up to Julian. Best path I found for that was up I-15 to I-76. Take I-76 east to I-79 south and then I-79 into Julian.

I believe round trip from San Diego was about 200 miles or so, and perfect stopping point in the middle with some awesome sandwiches in Julian.

Another decent way is taking I-8 east to I-79 north and go backwards.

If you really want to pile on the miles, you can take I-76 all the way to/from I-5.

I would definitely get the stuble sorted before driving this route as there are a lot of tight turns and elevation change which would result in light to no throttle.
I drove to Julian last weekend. I'm looking to do another drive again off the I-8 with a buddy this time. Thanks for the suggestions! What I really want is to vary the load on the engine keeping it under 8 psi, 4500 rpm, and doing a lot of engine breaking. That drive to Julian was just what I was looking for.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-15, 07:22 AM   #194
cerealkiller326
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: 08 SG STi
Fav Mod: DSG Tuned
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cerealkiller326 is on a distinguished road

Love that SYMS snorkel!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-20-15, 07:41 AM   #195
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

Fav Mod: RalliTek sway bars+ Kartboy endlinks, Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura aboutSTIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller326 View Post
Love that SYMS snorkel!
Thanks!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-20-15, 08:28 AM   #196
ebricky
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: SWP 2014 STi Sedan
Fav Mod: Drivers mod!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ebricky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIGR-Wagon-Dad View Post
I'm getting my car back tomorrow! Here's part of the damage. This is #4. #2 had cracked ringlands.
Image Link
Wow. Slight loss in power????? That looks absolutely insane. Your car was still running upon tear down??
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-25-15, 04:54 PM   #197
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Break-in complete. Fresh new oil change. She feels powerful again. Now focusing on the stumble and preps for retune. I'm liking the higher compression. The response is phenomenal. I would have loved to drive my car down Hakone Mtn if that were possible. It was a blast in my Hachiroku Levin.

Upon doing some inspection on the undercarriage, I found my AVO endlinks are not cutting it. Front driver side endlinks lower bushing broke in half and the passenger side rear end link sway bar sheared the nut off and stripped the threads one the end links, rendering them useless. I will not buy them again.

Last edited by STIGR-Wagon-Dad; 10-25-15 at 06:32 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-26-15, 02:17 PM   #198
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Looks like my old Rallitek end links will go back on. I'm not going back to solid end links anymore. I guess I broke the AVOs while breaking in the engine in the mountains. The stumble seemed to smooth out with the new A/F ratio sensor. I shook the Denso (which was only 3k miles old) and it rattled. It was replaced with an NTK. So far so good.
I'm guessing that the cracked ringland+oil consumption killed the A/F sensor in short time. It was disappointing when I was getting it tuned and was informed by Bill the sensor was bad, and I had just replaced it. The NTK had to be set up to fit for the bracket opposed to the Denso. I'm disappointed in Denso as they were my go to parts for my old Toyotas.

Last edited by STIGR-Wagon-Dad; 10-26-15 at 03:40 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-27-15, 11:50 AM   #199
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

The stumble is still there, but not as bad as they were. Just waiting for my AN fittings to arrive. I'm experimenting with a fuel pulse damper from Radium Engineering.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-03-15, 05:57 AM   #200
STIGR-Wagon-Dad

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I installed the fuel pulse damper but removed it due to static leaks at the fuel gauge port and the fragola 90 degree swivel. I did notice at idle, the short term fuel trim went more negative, suggesting it was running richer. Just now waiting for more fittings to reconfigure the fuel lines.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement