GR Hatch: '08 JDM Sti - NZ Superlap 2018/19 - Page 125 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
'08 JDM Sti - NZ Superlap 2018/19
'08 JDM Sti - NZ Superlap 2018/19
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: '08 JDM Sti - NZ Superlap 2018/19

Old 03-25-18, 02:23 PM   #1241
JeremySmith220
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Borg Warner EFR7670
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

JeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: '08 JDM Sti - R3 NZSuperlap - Manfield - This weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAG View Post
Great. I can see improvements compared to last year. In controls, lines, being patient with throttle. And the car is fast and sounds awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks! I really tried working on changing gears a lot less, mapping out my path around the track and braking as late as possible, still plenty of room for improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-18, 02:32 PM   #1242
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level II

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith220 View Post
Thanks! I really tried working on changing gears a lot less, mapping out my path around the track and braking as late as possible, still plenty of room for improvement.

Good steps. Specially with no coach or tutoring.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-26-18, 02:33 AM   #1243
JeremySmith220

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

JeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of light

Flyby video with flames '08 JDM Sti - NZ Superlap 2018/19'08 JDM Sti - NZ Superlap 2018/19

Smitho Racing - NZ Superlap R3 Flyby with Flames - YouTube

Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-18, 04:59 PM   #1244
JeremySmith220

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 03-29-18, 12:58 AM   #1245
JeremySmith220

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 03-29-18, 10:15 PM   #1246
JeremySmith220

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: '08 JDM Sti - R4 NZSuperlap - Taupo - Next Weekend

Report on changes before last round at Manfeild.

The reverse scoop and change to MoCool/Distilled water seemed to kill my water issues. Highest this got was about 105 C. Oil temp/pressure was the limiting factor.

The MCA red coilovers seem to really help the handling which meant it was very predictable, spring rates (11k F, 12k R) seemed to be perfect with no noticeable bouncing, the rear of the car was the first to move going hard into a corner and understeer was very minimal, which really suits my driving style. I have yet to play with the damper settings, but will do the next event. The ride height they recommend seemed high, however body roll didn't appear to be an issue, will play with this in the future too.

This was the first time i had driven at the track with the AD08R tyres, they had plenty of grip and were really fast to warm up, and predictable. Ran them with pressures of about 30 -32psi hot and they would last for as many laps i could do in the 10min sessions, without noticing any fade or softness.

All these changes netted me a 7 second improvement over my personal best at the track. Cant wait to go back and push it lower.

##

Plan before next round on the weekend of the 7-8th April (Next weekend). Circuit is Taupo and will be my first time there so will be a steep learning curve, but have 2 days to learn and get a good time.

I had an overboosting issue at Manfiled hitting 34.2 psi, and i found the bolt on the hose connection from the wastegate to the boost controller was loose, so hopefully this was the issue. THe boost cut came in before it went any higher so safe enough.

Upgrade to a bigger oil cooler to try bring down oil temps (sitting at 110-115 C) so i can get more continuous laps in, before the oil pressure starts coming in, to learn the track. Going from a 13 row Setrab to a 19 row, would have done a 25 row but would have had to change the mounting position. 50% bigger should make a difference with minimal pressure loss.

Also to help I will be going with a Mocal non-thermostatic sandwich plate, in order to get the oil flowing through the oil cooler sooner. (previously had a 80 C one).

Then lastly my rear camber is mis-matched between sides, so have purchased some Blitz Rear Camber adjusters to even it up. They have a range of 2-5 degrees camber. (Not sure if these will arrive in time).

Last edited by JeremySmith220; 03-29-18 at 10:22 PM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 03-30-18, 02:16 AM   #1247
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level II

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud of

MCA are very firm believers of near stock ride height to optimize roll centre and damper function.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-02-18, 10:31 PM   #1248
JeremySmith220

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Installed the larger 19 row oil cooler today and also changed out the sandwich plate for a non-thermostatic one. Now just have to heat it right up and check for leaks. Hopefully this gives me a few extra laps before the oil gets too hot.

Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 04-03-18, 05:44 PM   #1249
wrcfan21
Becoming A Contributor

Car: '08 JDM GRB STI DGM
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wrcfan21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that a Blues Deluxe or Deville the sandwich plate is sitting on? Hehe I work for the NZ Fender distributor!
Good to see your lap times coming down.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-03-18, 06:42 PM   #1250
JeremySmith220

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcfan21 View Post
Is that a Blues Deluxe or Deville the sandwich plate is sitting on? Hehe I work for the NZ Fender distributor!

Good to see your lap times coming down.

Blues deluxe reissue, got it from Direct Imports

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement