GR Sedan: Brandon's 2012 ISM STI Build - Page 56 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Brandon's 2012 ISM STI Build
Brandon's 2012 ISM STI Build
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Sedan: Brandon's 2012 ISM STI Build

Old 10-18-18, 05:32 PM   #551
Evans609
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Evans609 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brandon's 2012 ISM STI Build

Well another little update got my first parts ordered. Ordered my BNM FMIC kit and the widebody. Next will be gauges so I got some stuff to keep me occupied over winter. Then I think Ill either order my head stuff or all my other little things I need

But either way picked at it a bit over on these days off

So removed the fuel lines altogether because I sold my fpr and going with a aeromotive one and iag lines

then air to driver side head

along with passenger head

then coolant feeding to the bottom of the engine

sensor haha

the coolant lines

and I honestly have no idea what this is

everything pretty much removed

I believe this is the pcv valve

removed the flares and sold them haha no turning back now

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-18, 05:39 PM   #552
Evans609

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

oops forgot to show the pics of the bolts I ended up buying to bolt to the engine stand. Only two of the bel housing bolts where long enough to make it through the mounting points so I bought 4 long ones. m10x90mm

removed the water pump

kept the line attached to the water pump after

dipstick mounting point

water pump removed

ive noticed almost everything on this car takes a 10mm and 12mm bolts lol

this is what I ended up doing to break loose the cam gears. Wrapped the belt around the two cams then around the crank gear and vice gripped on both sides. Got someone to hold down the engine just incase and used a breaker bar. Took a m10 hex head rachet and it broke free. Was a lot easier than I thought it would be

disconnected the oil feed line

removed the head covers and cams to drain the oil out

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-18-18, 05:44 PM   #553
Evans609

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Heads are off

flipped the engine and removed the basepan then for a look. Hard to see but there are metal shavings down there. Also noticed the oil pickup tube had what seemed like pieces of gasket stuck in it. Forgot to take a pic of that

and now a look at the 4 pistons. They actually arent bad at all. Spark plugs looked fine too

from looking at the pistons it doesnt seem like there was any detonation at all or very little it seems until she blew

and another pic of the heads starting to come apart but I put them back together. Ill take them apart and clean them later before I ship but the company thats doing my heads requested that they stay together

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-18, 07:22 AM   #554
Evans609

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Another little update to the journal

So finally had time to split the block

First thing I done was take out the wrist pins for the pistons

First one was behind the plate. So once you remove the 6 allen head screws the plate need to be lightly pried off due to a gasket. Once that's off there are 4 M10 screws that have to be removed. The second one is also behind that little plate at the bottom of the pic

another one

last one. You can see the wrist pin in both pictures

Now one thing I fucked up on was getting these out. From what ive read and watched some people get a hanger and buckle it slightly to be able o reach in behind the wrist pin and haul it out once your c clips are removed. I honestly have no idea how they done this. I tried that and did not work for me I feel youd have to have the strength of a god for this haha two people pulling couldn't do it .

So for me the best option was to remove all 4 m10 or m12 bolts and use a small tool to hammer them out from the opposite side. So for the first one just look around the 4 holes for the best placement of the rods so you can get a long tool to reach in and across to the other pin and lightly hammer. Now what I fucked up was the tool part. I thought a long think flat head screw driver would be perfect... wrong.... I took a chunk out of the damn piston right outside where the wrist pin slides through. Ill grab a pic of that tonight or within a couple days.

So I found a little piece of square steel rod. Cleaned it up and shaved down one end because some spots have a tight clearance. But left it thick enough that it wouldn't work like a chisel. So once I got that tool the wrist pin slide out fairly easily. Some times you may have to lift up on a rod once you start to crank it over so that way you wont beat up the cylinder walls.

So once you remove your first wrist pin you crank it over until you can push the piston out of the cylinder wall enough to grab it and haul it out. This make take a couple attempts but it comes out pretty easily.

Piston I removed. Was told the wear was normal as long as it wasnt rough. If I dragged my fingernail across it I couldnt feel any restriction

Once I got all pistons out it was time for a break haha got myself a poutine hahah

The it was back to work. So at this point I already had my oil cooler removed and removed the hose going to the nipple on the short block which I also removed.

Then it was time to split. So I removed the 8 case bolts. 6 on one side and 2 on the other if im not mistaken. Ill grab some pics of those too

The using a rubber mallet hammer I hammered on the inside of the bell housing connection and on the pull attachment point on the other side. Once I had the seal broke all around I used a pry bar and just gently worked around until it was split.

The smell that comes from cracking the case bolts was terrible. My buddy called it CRANK STANK hahahaha

When it was cracked I looked around and became nervous of all the cranks but was told it was just the casting. Some where sharp edges tho

Once it was cracked I removed the crank and started taking apart the rods.

All the bearings where scored up a bit but there was one in particular that was really bad haha

when I removed that bearing this little piece was blocking the oil feed on the crank to the bearing

the hole I was talking about

I was going to sell my block but might actually keep and due to two reasons. One I have all the bolts placed back where they came from so it would make it easier to place the bolts again and two Ill rebuild the motor later down the road for a backup
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-30-19, 10:09 AM   #555
Evans609

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Holy hell almost a year ago since I last updated this hah lots of stuff on the go since I last updated this hah bought a new daily but that's also going to be stored and getting another daily lol

New car

But anyways, trying to pick at a few thing as im going along. Getting the block cleaned up and hopefully in a month or so ill get the bottom end built and then going to paint the block black.

Got a little pic here with the engine all apart and in a container to bring it to a buddy of mine for inspection and cleaning along with a hone.

Crank ended up being no good but that seems to be the only damage so have to get a new crank as well

Then I decided to get some parts powder coated. Intake manifold and turbo housing

Cleaning manifold

Turbo housing was brand new hah

Prepping both

and finished product

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-30-19, 10:17 AM   #556
Evans609

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Also started at the widebody. Only got one fender mounted up but learned lots for the next three hah anyways some pics of that

Taped it up first to help against the paint chipping while cutting.

Then after the cutting we got it mounted up nice and snug. Still needs some trimming and some sanding to smooth everything out

Didn't get a pic but we did get the side skirt back on and mounted that to it as well

front

more to come over the course of the next year
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 09-19-19, 03:19 PM   #557
Evans609

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Well picked up another daily to store my daily hahah (Type R)

05 Outback XT Limited. Come with extra front and rear bumper, side skirts, hood, hatch, engine and a pile of extra aftermarket parts. Some pics for Project Back to Stock

Such an awesome car hah so excited

Last edited by Evans609; 09-19-19 at 03:22 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-16-19, 03:17 PM   #558
KLKWRX
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

KLKWRX is an unknown quantity at this point

Just read every single page of this build, absolutely in love man. I have a 2011 wrx and yours just gave me so many ideas. Amazing detailed post, keep it up 🙌🏻
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement