Scargo
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road
Default 2008 STi Track Car Journal

4-12-2017 Update: Dyno tune results from Alpha engine build!

My first journal of my first STi, a 2011 (RIP) is here. Scargo's First Subaru: 2011 STi Ltd Sedan DGM
Many of the parts from it went into this, my current car, a low mileage '08.
Suspension modifications, chassis stiffening, etc.
Aero mods: bumper, hood, canards and spoiler.
Watkins Glen, 2013
You can also follow my Subaru racing odyssey with pictures and notes at my Shutterfly site.
Attached Thumbnails
2008 STi Track Car Journal-sti-watkins-glen-png  

Last edited by Scargo; 04-16-17 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Updates!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-13, 01:15 PM   #2
GA Scooby
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: Tarmac T2's!
My Subaru Parts for sale

GA Scooby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2008 STi track car Journal

Yep following again.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-09-13, 02:16 PM   #3
Scargo
Premium Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

10-16-2011: Front suspension installed. Changing out struts for BC-BR coilovers, new Lower Control Arms and stiffer Whiteline bushings in the front of the LCA's. Notice how the LCA's are red? These LCA's are the upgraded ones that Subaru started using in 2011. So I changed mine out and painted them red in the process. The rear adjustable Agency arms came red anodized so I thought I'd match them
Seats and harnesses are in.

Injector body "TGV deletes". Got rid of the obstructions, smoothed out the passages and matched the manifold and heads with the injector bodies.
Moroso aluminum pan and stiffer motor mounts. Motor mounts were a ***** to do! Jack the engine up and have only inches of room for your hands and tools. Oil filter bypass block attached.
Bought NOS Setrab cooler for less than half price. Overkill? About 12x12x2 and 40 rows. Has third tap/outlet for sensor. Also will use an Accusump, which is a pressurized reservoir of oil for when oil pressure might get too low.
New higher volume Walbro 255 fuel pump . Ordered adapter kit for Tial Blow-Off Valve to the FMIC on.

On top of what I had on my 2011 I have added:
Ported and blueprinted heads and manifolds/racing valve job/radiused exhaust seats/Manley springs and titanium retainers
Blouch Dominator 2.5 XT-R with 3" air inlet and 8cm turbine A/R
Injector Dynamics - 1000cc
Walbro 255 pump with mounting bracket for in the tank.
Aeromotive 13109 A1000-6 Injected Bypass Regulator.
Agency Power 3" polished aluminum hard turbo inlet AP-GDA-174-3-PL
KS Tech MegaMAF 73mm Big MAF Cold Air Intake (type-TXS for TurboXS, FMS, & AVO FMIC)
Stock MAF sensor
Turbo XS FMIC
Grimmspeed EBCS
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug LFR7AIX # 2309 (one step colder than STi plug)
Setrab 12x12x2 oil cooler: 450-550 HP #50-640-7612 12.99"X12.20", 45,000-67,000 btu/hr range, in combination with...
Mocal OT2, 176°F thermostat bypass valve
Canton 90 degree rotating remote oil filter adapter (22-597) Updated by removing the oil heat exchanger and running AN lines up the front of the timing cover.
Canton Remote Oil Filter mount (#22-625 takes Ford style, 3/4-16" thread, filters (I use K&N HP 3001 filters)
Mocal "Titanium" line of AN hose ends have been used throughout along with quite a bit of Racelight hose for -10 AN.
Subaru part 15018aa050, superceded by 15018AA090, which is the oil filter union (or what eliminates the long tube union which is use with the heat exchanger) when used in conjunction with the Canton 90 degree rotating remote oil filter adapter (22-597).
Accusump, two quart
Moroso aluminum pan: Updated to KillerB pan, windage tray and pickup tube
Moroso A/O separator Upgraded to a CRAWFORD A/OS which then breathes into a JEGS breather-catch tank, 555-52201. I empty this after 2-4 hours.
Perrin Crank pulley (updated to a Fluidamper)
TGV delete mod and port matching
Scargo's First Subaru: 2011 STi Ltd Sedan DGM-dsc00336-jpg

So, I ran this stock engine, dyno-tuned by EFI, for a couple of events. Then in Summit Point while running a EMRA Time Trial I broke ringlands when oil got into the intake via a closed and overflowing, small Moroso A/O separator.
That prompted me to buy a new OEM shortblock and drop CP forged pistons into it. I then did my first head porting in years and had a nice valve job done on them by Kiwi Engineering. This motor has produced 395WHP/391FPT on EFI's dyno. It is (was) currently in the car. It has withstood a brief period of almost one track session at 26+ PSI boost!
Note: The oil cooler/heat exchanger shown in the photo was removed.
All the evap/emissions parts are removed and a loop of fuel line with check valve was installed in the rear to vent the gas tank.

Then I installed the roll cage and started modifying the front end and added the Setrab oil cooler.
I've now removed all the vapor collection system seen in this photo.
2008 STi Track Car Journal-dsc00432-2-jpg
Modified front bumper facia
I installed two SPA Technique dual/digital gauges to monitor oil pressure and oil temp and water temp and boost.
Attached Thumbnails
2008 STi Track Car Journal-dsc00432-2-jpg  

Last edited by Scargo; 10-23-19 at 04:36 AM. Reason: updating and expanding on information
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-13, 01:53 PM   #4
ThunderRobo
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: TOPSPEED
My Subaru Parts for sale

ThunderRobo is on a distinguished road

I'm in

Just think of the 11 as a sacrifice to the car gods.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-13, 04:43 PM   #5
Scargo
Premium Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

12-17 update: I've now been running my new "Alpha motor" for over 20 (now 34 as of 9-18) hours. Here are the specs:
Rotated Borg Warner EFR 8374 turbo with .92 turbine A/R. V-flanged turbine outlet
I've modified a N/A RS intake (big, long runners and no TGVs to delete). Running it reversed.
I ported and deshrouded the heads. CC'd and bench flowed after Supertech +1mm valves were installed. Work done by Heads Up Machine in NY. Flowed average of 284/[email protected]", max lift
Kelford 220-C cams (272/268 for DAVCS)
GSC 5043 beehive springs with Ti retainers
ARP 260-4704 (CA625+ steel) head studs
ID 2000cc/m injectors > downsized to newly released ID 1300's
CP SC7420, fully coated, forged, 8.2:1 compression pistons @ 528 grams without rings and clips.
Wossner, 498 gram H beam rods, PL024 (Steel: 40 CrNiMoA) with ARP bolts.
Balanced crank, pulley and flywheel assembly.
King XP Racing bearings. Clearances: Mains-1.6 on average/Rods-2.0
Stock bore block with oil galleries and passages ported and/or radiused. Water passages matched and smoothed.
12mm ported JDM oil pump: Besides porting, I put a deep 10MM back on it, blocked off the pressure relief valve bypass piston with a machined plug (which replaces the spring) and installed:
Peterson #09-0160 external oil pressure bypass valve before filter; bypass return is to KB sump.
Improved design, high flow, closed rotor, Subaru water pump (2002-2004 WRX water pump 21111AA026) Eliminates water inlet from "oil cooler" block.
Walbro in-tank 450 fuel pump and Bosch 0 450 905 021 inline filter added in engine bay.
Aeromotive 13109 A1000-6 Injected Bypass Regulator.
Modified fuel supply lines: Stock feed line restrictions removed! All 6AN size lines, Customized Cosworth rails with Radium fuel dampers.
4" aluminum CAI. 9x8 conical air filter
Ported and modified, 60mm throttle body. Water passages eliminated. Half of throttle shaft eliminated.
Fluidamper Crank Pulley
Killer B oil pan, pickup and windage tray
Subaru part #15018aa050 "oil filter union" used (or what eliminates the long tube union which is use with the oil cooler/heat exchanger) in conjunction with the Canton 90 degree rotating remote oil filter adapter (22-597).

Already in use:
Ron Davis Radiator
"Oil cooler"/Heat Exchanger eliminated. Water lines eliminated (plain case plug used and 21111AA026 water pump used). Subaru part #15018aa050 which is the oil filter union (or what eliminates the long, tube union which is use with the heat exchanger) in conjunction with using the Canton 90 degree rotating remote oil filter adapter (22-597).
Note: Do not overtighten the Canton adapter (tighten much like an oil filter) unless you switch gaskets to a McMaster-Carr #9263K762 Viton O-Ring!

Canton filter mount for Fords, etc.
Royal Purple 30-8A, K&N HP-3001 or K&N HP-2005 oil filter used
2 Qt. Accusump with manual valve
Setrab oil cooler Almost nine quart oil change with filter!
Transmission oil and power steering oil coolers (circular finned style over front wheel-wells)
CRAWFORD A/OS into JEGS breather-catch tank, 555-52201
Turbo XS FMIC
MODIFIED Full Race headers. Custom Up-pipe converted to Twin Scroll for the B-W turbo. Vibrant bellows in-between sides and full V-flange connections from headers to up-pipe.
Custom 3" downpipe with V-flanges and unrestricted V-flanged midsection
3" full-flow exhaust system with three resonators
Probably forgot 'sumpin'...

The Accusump is now in the passenger floor area.
See the latest car mods at post 46.
See latest Alpha engine status starting with post 49.

Last edited by Scargo; 09-16-18 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Updated and added information. Radium rails added/Boomba's deleted
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-13, 04:48 PM   #6
Scargo
Premium Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRobo View Post
I'm in

Just think of the 11 as a sacrifice to the car gods.
It was a wakeup call that I need to check and re-check mechanical things when I am doing a lot of track time. Much of what I do is like Time Trial laps or qualifying for a starting position. I'm not easy on my cars or myself. Smacking a guard rail at over 100 is not fun, even with a six-point harness.

Old 03-11-13, 05:07 AM   #7
Scargo
Premium Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

My front end had a blocked off hood scoop. Hood pins. Enlarged opening for FMIC in facia.
NACA ducts for brake cooling. Opening to the side of the left duct was for air to the oil cooler located in front of the wheel. Blacked out openings had wire mesh over them.
See later posts for current aero configuration with custom bumper facia and CF hood.
Attached Thumbnails
2008 STi Track Car Journal-brian_lrp-2-jpg  

Last edited by Scargo; 10-05-13 at 03:53 AM. Reason: update
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-13, 10:26 AM   #8
Scargo
Premium Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default 2008 STi track car Journal: planned bodywork

This is basically how I am now configured.
AP Racing CF splitter. Kaminari reverse scoop carbon fiber hood, K081016FCC. 20 pounds lighter hood! About same as aluminum GD hood...
Rear spoiler is Seibon SKU RS0809SBIMP-STI-S. I would not do more unless you have more than 400WHP or close-ratio 5th & 6th. I feel the aero may be slowing me down a bit on top-end but the added stability is worth it.
Current AERO configuration (Lime Rock Park)
Attached Thumbnails
2008 STi Track Car Journal-body-1-jpg   2008 STi Track Car Journal-dsc00438-jpg  

Last edited by Scargo; 05-14-17 at 06:04 AM. Reason: misspelling correction
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-21-13, 12:30 PM   #9
Scargo
Premium Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: 2008 STi track car Journal: SUSPENSION/WHEELS AND MORE

OLD Suspension modifications and other miscellaneous bits:
Whiteline urethane bushings throughout the car to replace stock bushings. Not all are listed. This is my initial build up of the car in late 2011 to early 2012.

Whiteline 24mm sway bars:
Whiteline front sway bsf39xz 24mm two hole
KLC139 Front Sway bar - link assembly

Whiteline rear sways bsr49xxz, 24mm three hole
Blox Adjustable Spherical Rear Sway Bar End Links BXSS-10101-AEL (solid-metal on metal)

2011+ Subaru FRONT lower control arms (LCA)
Whiteline KSR207 Front Steering - rack & pinion mount bushing
Whiteline aluminum front control arm subframe brace
Whiteline adjustable toe rear upper arm bushings.
Whiteline Rear Lateral Toe Arm Adjustable with Toe Lock Kit
Agency Power billet rear lower camber control arms*
Whiteline KBR15 Rear Brace - sway bar mount support
Whiteline W0568 Rear Trailing arm - front bushing
Super Pro SPF3098K Rear Trailing arm - rear bushing (because Whiteline does not offer a bushing for this spot)
Whiteline KDT907 Rear Crossmember - mount bushings (set of solid )
Whiteline KCA326 Rear Control arm - upper inner bushing (camber correction)
Whiteline KDT906 Rear Differential - mount in cradle bushing
2013: Added Whiteline KCA313 Camber Kit (roll-center/bump-steer).

BC BR coilovers with 8K/11.6K F/R or 448/650 lbs per inch. GONE. See MCS update.
Front: BC 62 200 008 (448lb/8K) a 62mm nominal spring (that came with the coil-overs), with 3.4" OD.
Rear: (from Summit Racing) EIB-07002500650 (650lb/11.6K) Eibach springs. 62mm, nominal ID/3.45" actual OD.)
BC BR camber plates, slightly modified on driver's side to allow for max camber.
2013: Changed to MCS two-way shocks and H&S springs. 650lb front/800lb rear (about 11K/14K). Upgraded camber plates in spring of 2014.*
NOTE: Agency arms must be modified slightly, and have some material ground away, to clear the gas fitting on the bottom of the MCS shocks!
*Spring of 2014: "HVT" Camber Plate for Subaru GR for Coilovers, #810TM-GR-COILOVERS
(Built to MCS spec: Lower spacer bored to 18mm x 7mm depth)
These recess into the engine compartment and recoup a full inch of travel over other camber plates/coilover setups.
They seem discontinued as Of 2017. ;(

Cartboy short-throw shifter and all stiffening bushings
Group N tranny mount
Added for 2013: Agency Power Rear Pitch Mount (billet aluminum)
Group N motor mounts

949 Racing's 6ULR race wheels: 6ULR 17x9 +48 ET (offset) History...
Toyo R-888 DOT legal 255x40.
2013: upgraded to 18x10.5" Enkei RPF-01's (38ET) and 285X30 Hoosiers. After these I ran BFG 275/35. Almost identical footprint. BFG's are like 25.6"O.D. Enkeis are 8.94kg/19.7 pounds each.
ADDED: 5mm spacers to the front to allow as much as -3.5° front camber. Now set at -3.2. Otherwise 285-295 slicks rub the coilovers.
5-2017: Added lightweight Enkei RS05-RR wheels in Sparkle Silver (18x10.5) +35ET to my primary wheel sets. Also run fronts with 5mm spacers.
Note: front fenders have no lip and are stretch a bit to make everything clear; that and big negative camber.

ARP 12mm X 1.5mm long studs rather than stock 12mm X 1.25mm(which is less common).
FYI: This stud is ARP 100-7717. Designed for the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII.

Hawk DTC 70's on the front and 60's on the rear. Also tried 60's on the front and 70's on the rear to try and eliminate all braking waggle.
DBA 5000 rotors and two-piece Gyrodisc in the back. These rotors are 12.835" in diameter or 326mm. 2013: upgraded front brakes to StopTech Trophy BBK. ST 40's with 355mm rotors.

In 2014 I started running OS Giken racing diffs. They were custom set-up in their CA shop.
Rears: 25/45 refers to the cam angles for the "1.5 way" rear diff's. 25 degrees on decelleration, 45 on acceleration. Lock timing is 376kgs.
The front's "1way" is 3 degrees on decel (effectively ZERO) and 45 degrees on acceleration side. Lock timing is 184kgs.
I still run my stock center diff. I tune it with a DCCDPro, Active Center Differential Controller. I am running an '06 tranny, as I recall. It is the one tranny with the correct rear ratio for the rear diff ratio. It has the internal oil pump. I run the oil out to a cooler in the left fender. This has a close-ratio gearset.

Suspension alignment: -3.2 degrees negative camber in front/-1.6 negative in the rear.
Front caster: 6.9 degrees.
Toe: 0 front and rear.

Last edited by Scargo; 01-18-19 at 04:38 PM. Reason: added new info (usually in red)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-21-13, 01:20 PM   #10
GA Scooby
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: Tarmac T2's!
My Subaru Parts for sale

GA Scooby is an unknown quantity at this point

I just read, apparently I missed it, where you decided to use a EFR 8374. I'm super stoked to see your progress on this build and turbo selection.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement