GR Sedan: OB's 2011 Dark Grey Metallic STi / Intro and Pre-build - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
OB's 2011 Dark Grey Metallic STi / Intro and Pre-build
OB's 2011 Dark Grey Metallic STi / Intro and Pre-build
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Sedan: OB's 2011 Dark Grey Metallic STi / Intro and Pre-build

Old 10-07-12, 03:07 AM   #1
scoOBy145
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: High performance rattle-reduction beer coozie
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

scoOBy145 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up OB's 2011 Dark Grey Metallic STi / Intro and Pre-build

Hey all! So I have a decent amount of downtime on my hands during this deployment, some of which I like to spend reading over this forum and NASOIC (mostly this one because it loads faster on this shitty internet). So far it's been a great place for information, new ideas, and some laughs. So I decided to start my own build journal to talk about some of the things I've done already (not much) and what I plan on doing upon my triumphant return to the sweet bosom of America!

So I picked up my girl around March of 2011 in Tacoma, WA. Went in with my old car, a 2003 GTI, left with a brand new STi at the price I was determined to get ($32k before trade-in). So I left pretty happy and started breaking her in nice and easy.

OB's 2011 Dark Grey Metallic STi / Intro and Pre-build-car-jpg

When I hit around 900 miles on the odometer, I decided "Hey, screw it, I'm gonna get a brand new turbo and go wicked fast!!" Just kidding. My car decided it wanted a brand new turbo when I showed up to the dealership for my free oil change, and they discovered my turbo was already leaking oil . To be perfectly clear, I babied the hell out of it up to that point. This was my first brand new car, and I was determined to take care of her. Long story short, I got a free replacement (obviously), and while it was being repaired, I drove around a bright cherry red HHR from the rental place.

After that, I was determined not to make any major warranty voiding modifications until I felt I had worked out most of the inital "kinks" with a new car.

So now that I have sufficiently bored everyone with my backstory, let's talk about more things and stuff!

Great Sound

The first, and really only thing, I've modified so far is the stereo system. This initially came to mind after noticing that the front door speakers had a really bad tendency to slightly rattle the panels, unless at a very low volume. Quite annoying, especially considering the stock system is quite underpower as is. So I figured since I would have to pull the door panels to at the very least put some padding in to ease the rattles, I might as well use this opportunity to go all out on a new sound system .

After doing some research on what I wanted, I went to a custom shop in Tacoma to have the work done. I'm all about DIY, and if I was just going to do speakers and a head unit, I could have done it myself. But I want to add an amp and subs, which I am unfamiliar in working with.

I went with a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, Power Acoustik 2000W amp, 3x MTX TR5510-04 10" subs, and Infiniti front components. I honestly can't remember the specs or model of the Infiniti components because I mixed and matched 2 separate sets; I'll update when I get home.

The HU:
OB's 2011 Dark Grey Metallic STi / Intro and Pre-build-radio-jpg

The Amp, mounted on the back of the sub box:
OB's 2011 Dark Grey Metallic STi / Intro and Pre-build-amp-jpg

The Subs (notice my favorite mod on the brake light):
OB's 2011 Dark Grey Metallic STi / Intro and Pre-build-subs-jpg

I absolutely love the setup. The 3x sub box fits perfectly on the small upper shelf in the trunk, while leaving the main area of the trunk open, and the spare tire accessible. It's also quick to take out if I need to, as it is held in with brackets that I can quickly unbolt. I am thinking about adding a shroud around it though, to make it look a little cleaner. The best part is, as they are 10" subs, obnoxious bass is practically non-existent outside of the car. I put it at a fairly loud level, and stepped outside the car to listen, and was very pleased, as my pet peeves with most people with subs are license plate rattle (I put some Dynamat behind mine) and bass that travels way past the confines of your car at loud volumes. Win.

I also have quick access to bass control mounted in the little storage area below the temperature controls. The little microphone for bluetooth calls runs through the A pillar and comes out the top, next to the visor. Very low key. I have also had no overheating issues with the amp, despite it being wedged in between the seat and the sub box.

Over all sound quality is amazing, and the setup handles any type of music with clarity and depth. The one thing I was disappointed about with the headunit is that it cannot play music over bluetooth, as well as take phone calls. I hooked up my iPod with a typical iPod USB charging cord, and the unit charges it while being able to control everything through the head unit.

I lost two abilities with this setup. One was the steering wheel controls, which I don't really mind, but the other was the use of the USB and Aux ports in the center console. This I still really want to use, so I can hide my iPod while I control everything from the head unit, and keep a clean look. Does anyone know how I can make at least the USB port located there usable again?

Go Faster

So now on to performance. When I get back, I plan on continuing to drive stock for slightly longer, so I can work out any issues that developed while in storage. After that, I have a few plans....

Wish List/Plans
-Invidia Q300 Catback
-Invidia Catted DP (w/ new heatshield)
-DW65c Fuel Pump
-Cobb SF Intake and Heat Shield
-E-Tune from TurboTek Tuning
-SMY Steering Column Pod (Unless I find a 3 pod cluster for the clock area that fits better than the ATI one)
-AEM Wideband and Boost Gauges (Add Oil Pressure gauge if I get that 3 pod)

And that should be it for performance from now. I'm looking to get a little more "oomph" out of the car, without going to crazy, and still maintaining relative reliability, as this is still my daily driver. I think this set-up seems to cover that fairly well. Not really looking into new suspension right now, as WA has waaayyy too many huge hills, and I've already had a couple close calls with bottoming the front lip. Oh, and I do have an AP already, running on the stage 1 91 oct map. Damn you 91 oct!!!

Interior

I've seen a ton of awesome DIY threads on this forum for interior ideas. I really like the look of blacking out all the grey pieces (dome light, oh shit handles, etc) and redoing the headliner from the crappy stock one. I think a black suede or faux-suede headliner looks great, but I would like to add dashes of red in there somehow, to match the seats with the red STi logo. I think black and red is always a winning color combination.

Well since all I can do for my car until I get back is stare at parts and threads, that's all I have for now. Let me know what you guys think! I'd love to talk about more ideas and tweaks to what I am already planning. And I don't get butthurt easy so fire away!

Last edited by scoOBy145; 10-07-12 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Formatting/Grammar
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-12, 05:26 AM   #2
CTSparky
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: SS lines and master cyl brace
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CTSparky is on a distinguished road

I like your car. But there is no need for the fuel pump until you go past stage 2. At that point the weak link is that you will max out the injectors.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-07-12, 06:11 AM   #3
lidrew
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2011 DGM Sedan
Fav Mod: Brake Dust
My Subaru Parts for sale

lidrew will become famous soon enoughlidrew will become famous soon enough
Default Re: OB's 2011 Dark Grey Metallic STi / Intro and Pre-build

Welcome. I would do a boost controller and an actual protune, not Etune. Skip the fuel pump as as Sparky said unless you are doing bigger injectors and E85 pr turbo upgrade.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-12, 06:17 AM   #4
scoOBy145
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: High performance rattle-reduction beer coozie
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

scoOBy145 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OB's 2011 Dark Grey Metallic STi / Intro and Pre-build

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSparky View Post
I like your car. But there is no need for the fuel pump until you go past stage 2. At that point the weak link is that you will max out the injectors.
Thanks! While I know the stock pump should be fine around stage 2, I think it gets close to it's limit when pushing around 19 psi or so. This mod seems easy enough, and it's not very expensive. This, and it should be able to handle anything I feel like throwing at it in the future. Also, I have heard that putting in the DW65c does not create any problems with the injectors, even if not tuned. Key word there though, "heard". I am not speaking from experience there as you may or may not be.

How do other people feel about dropping in a fuel pump for my intended setup? If it makes no difference either way, then I will probably still put it in, as the low price makes it easy and I will have that ready for any future mods.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement