GR Hatch: Update: 2011+Bumper Cover Installed - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Update: 2011+Bumper Cover Installed
Update: 2011+Bumper Cover Installed
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: Update: 2011+Bumper Cover Installed

Old 02-21-13, 09:13 PM   #11
BlueFlash
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Sways
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueFlash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Subaru, My Story, Let the Journey Begin

Update: Car seems great. The previously added upgrades and adjustments have definitely proven worthwhile. I love how the car feels now - more road feel and the power is hitting the road better. This is also my first winter with the car and although I drove my friend's 2011 WRX a few times last winter, I definitely have enjoyed having my own AWD vehicle. It seems to do great in the snow and any condition for that matter. Definitely has confirmed my vehicle choice

In other Subaru news....

My brother's 2009 STi was having issues a while back and was burning tons of oil. All the blow-by resulted in us taking out his engine and starting our first engine build = Ringlands!

After we had the block machined we ordered all our parts and are currently in the process of putting everything together. After going through this process so far, I feel comfortable saying that if you have a garage, and are willing to learn, anyone can remove a Subaru engine.

It has been a great experience and the factory service manual, and on occasion this forum (thank you all you posters out there!), have been great sources during our project. We are hoping the rest of our build comes together well.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by BlueFlash; 04-18-15 at 01:11 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-13, 02:53 PM   #12
SAS
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2013 STI
Fav Mod: n/a...yet.
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Good read so far. Kudos. Do you guys have an engine hoist at your house?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-13, 07:05 PM   #13
BlueFlash
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

We actually used an old swing set, set up a ratchet, hoisted it up and rolled the car back so we could drop the engine onto the engine stand. Pretty ghetto engine pull, but cheaper than purchasing a hoist.

On our rebuild we have to order new valve buckets as the heads were machined. Resulting in it taking more time than expected. If you can have a loaner vehicle for a while and take the time with your build, your garage is a great place to have a blast with it.

Last edited by BlueFlash; 04-11-15 at 04:51 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-15, 04:48 PM   #14
BlueFlash
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Time for the "I detailed my car" picture.

Last edited by BlueFlash; 04-18-15 at 01:07 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-18-15, 01:45 PM   #15
BlueFlash
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So I decided that I wanted to have a 2011+ bumper cover and use this as my summer bumper. Since my vehicle didn't have fog lights I thought I'd add those as well. I ordered these parts from my local Subaru dealer and the autobody shop.

If anyone is looking to purchase the parts from their dealer and have their autobody do the painting, the following parts are required:
  • Front bumper cover: 57704FG113
  • Tow hook cover: 57731FG330
  • Fog light kit: H4510FG080 (Note)
  • STi Grill: 91121FG080
  • Bumper Side vents: 57731FG150 and 57731FG160
Note - If you don't order the fog light kit, the non-fog covers are part numbers 57731FG310 and 57731FG320.

I purchased the following clips so that I could have two dedicated bumpers. If you are planning on only having one bumper you can reuse the parts from the original bumper.
  • Push rod rivets: 909130013 x 4 (grill to bumper)
  • Tapping screws: 904500031 x 6 (grill to bumper)
  • Side vent holders: 57721FG000 x 6

I just received the painted bumper today and am waiting on a few clips I ordered from the dealer. As I have to go out of town for two weeks, I won't be able to complete my install until that point in time.

Bumper picture:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-09-15, 09:55 PM   #16
BlueFlash
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: 2011+ Bumper Installed w/ Fogs

Update on 2011+ Bumper
Finally received all my screws and clips from Subaru yesterday and got a chance to complete the installation of the 2011 bumper cover today. When I took my bumper off I noticed that there was rubbing at the bottom of the fender with the original bumper cover resulting in some surface rust. So I did some sanding, priming and added touch up paint to help prevent any future issues.

Through my research prior to the purchase of my parts, I was unable to find any reasoning as to why the 2011+ fender liners were required and had read that the 2008-2010 liners were appropriate. As part of my install I noticed why included the 2011+ fender liners to their install: some of the pre-cut holes for the clips do not match up and the 2008-2010 bumpers cover curves into the body rather than staying flush with the wheels.

As such, on the sides connecting the fender to the liners, I was only able to attach two of the three turn style clips as one hole did not line up. On the bottom side, I was unable to attach the fender lines with the push-type clip that is closest to the wheels. To complete the install I placed the fender liner on top of the bumper cover (so on the inside, rather than underneath) to allow the two turn style clips to attach to the bumper cover.

As a result, if anyone is completing the conversion, I'd recommend that the 2011+ fender lines are also purchased. I have yet determined if I will be purchasing these, but the part numbers are as follows:
  • Right Fender Liner: 59110FG040
  • Left Fender Liner: 59110FG050
During the install:
Complete:
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-14-15, 11:10 AM   #17
stidoug
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: stormtrooper
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

stidoug will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Update: 2011+Bumper Cover Installed

Done the same mod with the face lifted bumper bud, l had to replace the wheel arch liners as the original ones didnt line up and with the new bumper, tried streching them but the plastic rivets kept popping off , so l bit the bullet and got the correct ones for the bumper.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-17-15, 06:37 PM   #18
CSC
Contributor

Car: 14 PBP WRX STi GRB
Fav Mod: Misfire Motorsports
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CSC is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice with the bumper cover swap. I have a 14 hatch and am actually wanting to swap to the 08-10 bumper cover.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-31-15, 10:09 AM   #19
BlueFlash
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidoug View Post
Done the same mod with the face lifted bumper bud, l had to replace the wheel arch liners as the original ones didnt line up and with the new bumper, tried streching them but the plastic rivets kept popping off , so l bit the bullet and got the correct ones for the bumper.
The plastic rivets are also coming off on mine all the time. Just waiting for someone with an 11+ to total their car and purchase a set.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement