GR Sedan: zer0cool's Summer Fun / Winter Work AWD Fun Buggy - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
zer0cool's Summer Fun / Winter Work AWD Fun Buggy
zer0cool's Summer Fun / Winter Work AWD Fun Buggy
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Sedan: zer0cool's Summer Fun / Winter Work AWD Fun Buggy

Old 06-01-12, 03:57 PM   #1
zer0cool
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Cougar in the passenger side
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

zer0cool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default zer0cool's Summer Fun / Winter Work AWD Fun Buggy

I bought this car on April 7th 2012. My intentions were to keep it mostly stock with a few bolt ons. I'm wanting to mod more but my warranty is keeping me at bay. It's a fight in my mind weighing out the cost factor vs warranty vs fun factor.

Brand New

Figured I'd take a mileage pic as soon as I got home.

I ordered a bunch of small parts while I waited for my car to arrive at the dealership.
Panavise Subaru bracket with generic cell phone holder.

Installed the carbon fiber license plate holder and frame from Rally Sport Direct.

Windshield sticker. This is the reverse style and sticks to the inside of the windshield.

Cobb shorty shifter. I adjusted it as low as possible with the throw and stick height but it wouldn't engage fully into the rearward gears. It hit the console slightly so I had to raise the mainbody up a couple mm. It works flawless now and is very short and crisp. I also installed the two linkage bushing which made it more crisp. A little more tranny noise transfers up into the cabin with the bushings but it sounds more hi-po which is not annoying to me at all.

I installed a set of Primitive Racing skid plates. This includes the front with tail stinger as well as rear diff skid. The front doesn't enclose the sides like the factory plastic skid but I am going to cut the OEM front skid and attach the side portions to this 3/16" aluminum skid for more added protection against winter debris. The install was very easy and painless. There is no oil drain hole or filter access but the front skid can come off in less than 30 seconds. I used blue loc-tite on the bolts which will keep it secure but also protect the threads like anti-seize compound. I plan on driving my car to work in the winter and want a little more added protection.

Hella Supertones were next along with the Rally Armor splash guards. Although, oddly enough I can't find a good picture of the flaps.

Grillcraft set of 3 grills. If you can get past drilling a few small holes, the install is easy. The OEM grill was the most difficult and removing the STI emblem without breaking the tabs. The Grillcraft has a different mesh pattern so I changed the center grill as well.

Perrin front license delete and JNA Poly front lip.

Weathertech mats, front and rear with trunk liner. The rears kind of slide around a bit but I'm going to put some velcro strips on them so it digs into the carpet and stays put.

Prova yellow mirrors. I love these mirrors. They reduce glare at night and help you see better as well. I've compared with my rear view mirror and the difference is substantial. I have since ordered the rear view mirror to match. The optics are great. I also bought a set of heated grids for our cold winters. They are from Redi-Cuts. They were a little smaller but they work just the same. I removed the OEM mirrors by warming with a heat gun and a thick feeler gauge to pop them off. The hardest part about the whole install was to remove the foam backing from the Prova mirrors to install the heated grids. You have to be very gentle and remove only by rolling your thumbs. My thumbs were sore after a couple hours for both mirrors. If you get too rough with it, you will scratch the mirror and it'll be ruined. You can only buy these in pairs. The position of the electrical tabs on the grids need to be in the OEM position so they fit into the mirror. Take your time.

OEM

Prova with Redi-cuts heater elements.

I also installed a small sticker at the bottom... "Objects in mirror appear..."
Both mirrors are convex and allow a wider feel of vision.

Being warranty conscious right now, I needed more noise. Sounds great on start up. Quiet at warm idle. Gets angry as the gas pedal gets closer to the rug.
Nameless Performance muffler deletes. Single wall 3.5" equal length tips.

Rota Wheels from wheeldude. Add 250.00 for shipping, duty and taxes (Canada) to the prices on their website. I didn't want to pay 1000.00 a wheel at this moment for Rays wheels.

Test fit. Fronts require 5mm spacers to clear the Brembos and the rears require slight fender roll.

I bought my own Eastwood fender roller.

Neochrome R40 lugnuts 4+1

Removed my stock wing. I stood back and looked. I think it looks pretty good wingless actually... but had to move forward.

Plugged 3 OEM holes on each side with plastic plugs and some silicone. The bases didn't quite sit right so I had to remove 2 plugs on each side and just use silicone.

Test fit bases and slowly pieced it together. It's almost as wide as the mirrors and sits slightly higher than the OEM wing as I can see perfectly through the risers/wing out the rear view mirror.

The wing would contact the back window when I opened the trunk, so I had these extra spools off my wife's sport bike. I removed the OEM rubber bumpers and tapped the holes for the spool bolts. I threaded them in and added a round felt pad to each to prevent metal to metal contact. It worked out great.

One final pic from one of our local gatherings. I'm sure there will be more mods eventually.
I wish it was some high hp build thread but I'm not there yet. Thanks for looking.

zer0cool
Attached Thumbnails
zer0cool's Summer Fun / Winter Work AWD Fun Buggy-newcar-jpg  

Last edited by zer0cool; 06-01-12 at 04:03 PM.
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-12, 03:58 PM   #2
zer0cool

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: zer0cool's Summer Fun / Winter Work AWD Fun Buggy

*Reserved*
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-01-12, 04:27 PM   #3
CTSparky
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: SS lines and master cyl brace
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CTSparky is on a distinguished road

Looking nice! What are you planning to do with it?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-12, 04:50 PM   #4
sticow
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 11 STi / Evo X / GC8
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

sticow is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice !! Need a nice drop.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-01-12, 05:04 PM   #5
micwrb2012
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

micwrb2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice car man!! Goodluck for the next upgrades.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-01-12, 05:07 PM   #6
zer0cool

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSparky View Post
Looking nice! What are you planning to do with it?
I am very undecided right now. I want it to be reliable as a DD but I want more performance. I will be driving it throughout the winter (with wing removed) so I can't hop it up too radical. I am here to learn about what works with what for my purpose. I am definitely open to any suggestions. Of course I'd like it to be a feared ride in my town, but don't want to have a summer "only" car. I won't be racing it on a closed course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticow View Post
Nice !! Need a nice drop.
I agree 100%. I need some ground clearance for our winters. I'm torn on how or if it makes sense. Again, open to all suggestions.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement