IW STi Forum banner

2011 DGM STi -> 2013 Audi A4 -> 2014 Audi S4

GR Hatch: 
46K views 176 replies 28 participants last post by  jjhoagland 
#1 · (Edited)
After owning her for 1 year:

The time has finally come and I have ordered a new STi just the way I want it. As I'm sure many of you out there have seen, the used market for them is so strong, that there are not many "deals" to be had on '08 or newer STi's... So after months and months and months of searching autotrader, craigslist, local and not-so-local dealer pages, I bit the bullet and ordered a 2011 DGM 5-Door STi from Huffman Subaru here in Kentucky. Robin was the sales manager that assisted me through everything, and I would highly recommend her to anyone. She was very very knowledgeable and promises frequent updates as the my order status/location.

Since I was 16 I have wanted an STi but they have always been way out of my price range. My first car was a '97 Celica GT, then a '97 Jeep Wrangler, '97 Honda Prelude (awesome car, did a lot to it), 2001 BMW 535i, 2007 350z, 2008 Civic Si, and finally my current car, a 2008 350z. This STi will be my first ever new car, and I am so glad I have been patient and saved for it. I have also had 5 motorcycles ('97 Honda NightHawk, '04 Yamaha F6, '04 Yamaha R6, '07 Yamaha R6 (Blue), and recently sold my '07 Yamaha R6 Raven).

I landed on DGM instead of SWP for the hatch, and I'm glad that was my final choice. If AW was still a color option, I would have jumped on it though...

I will be adding a ton of pictures as soon as my '11 arrives and update constantly from that point on. I have been searching the forums for what feels like forever, and couldn't be happier that I soon will officially be a part of the Subaru family =)

****UPDATE: as of Monday the dealership called me 3 days early and said my car had just arrived. When I went to pick it up, it was a 4 door, NOT THE 5-DOOR THAT I ORDERED!!!!! Subaru messed up big time because I saw the order form from the dealer and it clearly said 5-Door DGM. Long story short, they located a brand new hatch in Detroit, Michigan and overnighted it for me. They honored the base price even though this hatch has wheel locks and auto-dimming mirror. So happy that it's here now that I don't even care about the mix up. There is no possible way I could have waited another few months though... 11 miles on her when I pulled out of the lot!

(For some reason my 7 pictures are too big and I cannot resize... so added to Flickr!!!) Let me know what you all think, I'm beyond excited to FINALLY have my Subie =)

PICTURES:

Flickr: jjhoagland's Photostream

It's the fastest car I've ever been in and I couldn't be happier. I'm following strict break-in of shifting @ 4K RPMs or lower and see myself getting to that 1,000 mile mark in less than a week. I'm finding any excuse to run out for an errand or to just go drive because it's SO much better than my 350z and 1,000x more fun!

Attachments

See less See more
#111 ·
Re: 2011 DGM STi

I will have some pictures up for you later boss man, ride is looking good! I have some ridiculous plans for my car hahaha...long story though. I almost got rid of it to be a "grown up" and here I am in love with this car much too strongly to let her go. Have about a 6000.00 suspension list that will be worked on soon. Running a c65 DW pump right now still stock fuel system otherwise and about to get a tune up at Forged Performance. In the end it will be a fully built (probably sleeved) stoker, cammed, head job, oversized double sprung valves, probably up the compression ratio to around 8.8 or 9:1 and it should be fun. Going to rotate after all (AMS 750r kit) and run some AMR equal length headers. I have about a 25 thousand dollar to do list and I'm hoping to have it all wrapped up within 18 months or so...hopefully not too much longer if it winds up taking more time. I'll definitely look at brining the car up to KY as I will also be taking a long (no car work) vacation up to Boston and will likely be stationed somewhere out west by then. It's been a while man, glad to see you tripped 17k miles (I'm at 30k) and stop driving in "I" mode John! Hey I should have some good pics up later...going to take some with a few buddies here in a bit down here in GA.

:D

#112 ·

Dude, Hoagland is the king Of " I"
Yawn mode!! Ha!! We are working on him
50 rpms at a time.

QUOTE=mckenzie83;3521665]I will have some pictures up for you later boss man, ride is looking good! I have some ridiculous plans for my car hahaha...long story though. I almost got rid of it to be a "grown up" and here I am in love with this car much too strongly to let her go. Have about a 6000.00 suspension list that will be worked on soon. Running a c65 DW pump right now still stock fuel system otherwise and about to get a tune up at Forged Performance. In the end it will be a fully built (probably sleeved) stoker, cammed, head job, oversized double sprung valves, probably up the compression ratio to around 8.8 or 9:1 and it should be fun. Going to rotate after all (AMS 750r kit) and run some AMR equal length headers. I have about a 25 thousand dollar to do list and I'm hoping to have it all wrapped up within 18 months or so...hopefully not too much longer if it winds up taking more time. I'll definitely look at brining the car up to KY as I will also be taking a long (no car work) vacation up to Boston and will likely be stationed somewhere out west by then. It's been a while man, glad to see you tripped 17k miles (I'm at 30k) and stop driving in "I" mode John! Hey I should have some good pics up later...going to take some with a few buddies here in a bit down here in GA.

:D[/QUOTE]

#113 ·

Dude, Hoagland is the king Of " I"
Yawn mode!! Ha!! We are working on him
50 rpms at a time.

QUOTE=mckenzie83;3521665]I will have some pictures up for you later boss man, ride is looking good! I have some ridiculous plans for my car hahaha...long story though. I almost got rid of it to be a "grown up" and here I am in love with this car much too strongly to let her go. Have about a 6000.00 suspension list that will be worked on soon. Running a c65 DW pump right now still stock fuel system otherwise and about to get a tune up at Forged Performance. In the end it will be a fully built (probably sleeved) stoker, cammed, head job, oversized double sprung valves, probably up the compression ratio to around 8.8 or 9:1 and it should be fun. Going to rotate after all (AMS 750r kit) and run some AMR equal length headers. I have about a 25 thousand dollar to do list and I'm hoping to have it all wrapped up within 18 months or so...hopefully not too much longer if it winds up taking more time. I'll definitely look at brining the car up to KY as I will also be taking a long (no car work) vacation up to Boston and will likely be stationed somewhere out west by then. It's been a while man, glad to see you tripped 17k miles (I'm at 30k) and stop driving in "I" mode John! Hey I should have some good pics up later...going to take some with a few buddies here in a bit down here in GA.

:D
[/QUOTE]

Oh come on guys... just trying to make this thing last for the long haul haha- I've been known to venture in to S and S# at least a few times a day :lol:
Gary- your build sounds intense, make sure to document it so I can steal some cool ideas!
Brian- lunch again soon. Can't get enough of that new ELH setup you came home from TopSpeed with so I might be requesting another ride along!

#116 · (Edited)

17k miles? get driving lol. I'm almost at 27k miles now lol.

indeed there was a late winter storm in So Cal this past weekend. Some of my friends and I decided to take advantage of that:

Another storm is headed this way this weekend and they want to go up again haha.

Don't EL headers on a GR make it a unique sounding beast? :D I love how mine sounds. Perhaps that's why Subaru went with the quad exhaust instead of a single for the GR.

mckenzie: I would suggest another company than AMR for headers. I'm friends with one of the techs at COBB SoCal who is doing an AMR install (FMIC, turbo, headers, turboback) on a '10 GR and he told me it's been a headache. Poor quality bends, parts not fitting correctly, and flanges are poorly welded. Perhaps Tomei instead?

#117 ·

17k miles? get driving lol. I'm almost at 27k miles now lol.

indeed there was a late winter storm in So Cal this past weekend. Some of my friends and I decided to take advantage of that:

Another storm is headed this way this weekend and they want to go up again haha.

Don't EL headers on a GR make it a unique sounding beast? :D I love how mine sounds. Perhaps that's why Subaru went with the quad exhaust instead of a single for the GR.

mckenzie: I would suggest another company than AMR for headers. I'm friends with one of the techs at COBB SoCal who is doing an AMR install (FMIC, turbo, headers, turboback) on a '10 GR and he told me it's been a headache. Poor quality bends, parts not fitting correctly, and flanges are poorly welded. Perhaps Tomei instead?
You must live in that thing to have already put 27K on it haha that's 2k miles a month!
Love that first picture of the three subies in the snow... just living out what they're meant to do- glad yours is doing well.

#119 ·
8th Oil Change

17,850 miles- 8th oil change this morning.
No oil loss, and the techs said everything is still looking healthy! If this motor goes, it's not going to be from a lack of fresh oil in there haha I'm averaging about 2,100 - 2,800 miles between changes.

She also got a fresh wax and detail at home to get ready for spring:

#120 ·

Got a quote Friday from TopSpeed for:
Invidia Catted DP
GrimmSpeed EBC
1-step colder iridium plugs
1000cc TopFeed injectors (for future E85 tune)
Aeromotive 340LPH fuel pump
93 tune
Crawford AOS

The only piece I'm not 100% sold on are the larger injectors... I may do smaller injectors and just not go E85.

Will hit 20,000mi later today and all is good so far! I need tires in the next ~4,000 miles or so, but everything else is holding up well. Updates hopefully will be soon to follow.

#129 ·

Got a quote Friday from TopSpeed for:
Invidia Catted DP
GrimmSpeed EBC
1-step colder iridium plugs
1000cc TopFeed injectors (for future E85 tune)
Aeromotive 340LPH fuel pump
93 tune
Crawford AOS

The only piece I'm not 100% sold on are the larger injectors... I may do smaller injectors and just not go E85.

Will hit 20,000mi later today and all is good so far! I need tires in the next ~4,000 miles or so, but everything else is holding up well. Updates hopefully will be soon to follow.
If you're staying on the stock VF then I would go E85 with 1000cc injectors (850 might limit you)...address flow issues like headers! I'd think about doing a small turbo...like a DOM 1.5XTR or something along those lines. Make 350whp and you'll be scared straight haha! I'm still a heavy advocate of fuel rails. You ever talk to Forged Performance? Terrific company but definitely shop around for quotes and pricing on parts. With the economy the way it is you can do a lot of talking and save hundreds easily.

#122 ·

That'll be a nice car for the wife. Hope you got extended warranty (sorry, I just hear lots of crap about Audi/VW breaking after their warranty run out in 5 years).

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a 1987 BMW 325is to use as a DD lol. It has 280k+ miles (broken odometer lol) and still runs like a well-oiled machine. It's currently getting some much needed (but minor) maintenance and repair. I'll get some photos of the E30 and the STI together in my journal.

#123 ·

That'll be a nice car for the wife. Hope you got extended warranty (sorry, I just hear lots of crap about Audi/VW breaking after their warranty run out in 5 years).

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a 1987 BMW 325is to use as a DD lol. It has 280k+ miles (broken odometer lol) and still runs like a well-oiled machine. It's currently getting some much needed (but minor) maintenance and repair. I'll get some photos of the E30 and the STI together in my journal.
Absolutely on the warranty... it's CPO so we get another 3 years and an additional 65,000 miles of full bumper to bumper warranty. Probably wouldn't have bought one without just because of some of the audi/carbon buildup stories I hear. Even though it's older than mine, it's SO much nicer inside. And I don't know why (maybe bc it's automatic) but it feels faster than my car?

Nice pick up on the beemer, definitely put some pictures up! I love that boxier body style of all the BMW's pre-2000. My buddy had a red ragtop 1992 -i think- BMW and it was a blast.

#124 ·

The Dunlops lasted a short 20,800 miles. Got new all season tires put on today & no more highway noise (howling). What a huge difference in ride & road noise, very happy.
Also sold the Q300... not sure where I want to go exhaust-wise but I'm sure something else will be on in the near future.

#125 ·

Ordered the stainless steel (non burnt tip) Invidia N1 regular catback from Geoff @ Cygnus Performance today. He couldn't have been nicer, and it looks like the free shipping is super fast!
Can't wait to have some noise back as a part of my daily driving... Pics after install next week.

#127 ·
Re: 2011 DGM STi- ordered Invidia N1 7/26

Yeah after the stock quad tip look, the quad Nameless exhaust I had, and then the quad 4" Q300- I'm taking a little bit different route. Thought the TI tip would be a little too "rice" for my job so went with SS. I feel like a single exit gives that perfect subie rumble so I'm super excited.
Hope your car is treating you well! How many miles do you have so far? I'm @ 22,500

#128 ·

Ahhhh, welcome to the single pipe club! I have the ti tip...doesn't look rice at all to me brother. Just ordered some JRZ RS1 coilovers today, have a seat/harness bar...new tune...the list goes on and on. Lots of suspension work in the mix, finally did sways/endlinks. most bushings are now complete...finally. I'll have to put up a bunch of pics on my thread sometime.

#131 ·

Ahhhh, welcome to the single pipe club! I have the ti tip...doesn't look rice at all to me brother. Just ordered some JRZ RS1 coilovers today, have a seat/harness bar...new tune...the list goes on and on. Lots of suspension work in the mix, finally did sways/endlinks. most bushings are now complete...finally. I'll have to put up a bunch of pics on my thread sometime.
Tracking info says out for delivery by end of the day- can't wait to put this beast on.
I've seen some of your progress on fb, that seat and trunk brace look sick! Keep up the good work and actually add some pics sometime soon!

#133 ·

SO. LOUD.
Can't imagine this thing with a downpipe (or the non-resonated race version). Absolutely love it though! It's easily 2-3 louder than the Q300, but oh well.

Maintenance update: 9th free oil change & tire rotation at 22,961 miles yesterday. Everything else is running flawlessly knock on wood!

These two pictures are before I got an extended hanger for the rear. It was WAY too close to the bumper and was in the early stages of melting its surroundings. Ran to the local muffler shop and they put a longer hanger on for $5.

#134 ·

24,400 miles as of this morning.
My compass/auto-dimming mirror went out, so I have to go in tomorrow for them to replace it under warranty. Waste of an hour, but at least it's a mirror and not something in the engine!

#135 ·

PO420 Code today... was cruising 60/65 mph on the highway when S mode & cruise started flashing, traction control light came on, and check engine light. AccessPort said Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). I went straight to the dealership and he did an "ECM update" for p301 & p303 misfire codes (cylinder 1 & 3). Said I should be fine and just to come back if I had any issues. Praying my subie doesn't destruct!!
25,130 miles on the clock.

#140 ·
Re: 2011 DGM STi--> 2008 M3 6MT Sedan??? Might be coming home with me.

Passed on the M3 after all... My '11 STi + $10K OTD was just not looking to be worth it for an '08 M3 with 46K miles (and no warranty). Oh well- it was a lot of fun for the days that I had it and the 100 or so miles I put on it. Maybe one day.

Service update: no more check engine lights & got my 10th free oil change at 25,763 miles two days ago.

#141 ·

Passed on the M3 after all... My '11 STi + $10K OTD was just not looking to be worth it for an '08 M3 with 46K miles (and no warranty). Oh well- it was a lot of fun for the days that I had it and the 100 or so miles I put on it. Maybe one day.

Service update: no more check engine lights & got my 10th free oil change at 25,763 miles two days ago.
Good move...when I'm 40 I'm sure I'll have a 1 series M as a daily but no M could ever fill the void of not having an STi

#143 ·

love the E9X M3 (the V8s sound soooo awesome) but not sure I'd get one over an STi as an only car. My friend had to lemon his first M3 ('08 coupe, MT) and got a '11.

but both? Sure lol.
Oh both would be awesome... Just can't justify having that kind of $ tied up in cars right now haha

The sound of the V8 was unreal- I could listen to it all day!

#146 ·

You just can't really do this in an m series Roads are overrated - YouTube

:D (me a few weekends ago)

Are you saving money incase you have some motor issues?
Haha that's awesome!

And no... I'm in with the guys @ my dealer and they've agreed to help me out if anything goes south. I could build it if I need to, but hope that doesn't happen any time soon!

#149 ·
Do you put 91 octane in the car? If not, what's the advantage? I can see the low wastegate duty map to keep boost lower and whatever, but I'd be scared to use the 91 octane map with 93 gas.

For me, I use HWG when warm outside and boost isnt hitting fast or hard enough but recently reflashed to normal 93+sf.

Im getting an electric boost control solenoid to go with my stage 2 protune. Probably gonna go for 19.5 or 20 psi because YOLO. Hopefully I'll be putting 300 to the wheels at a minimum.

#150 ·

Yup, 93 on a 91 map. They guys @ Cobb said that's the safest I can be without a protune.

Are you doing injectors and fuel pump too? I think I'm gonna have to swap another CB exhaust on for when I go stage 2- I can't imagine my N1 with a Downpipe haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.