IW STi Forum banner

2011 DGM STi -> 2013 Audi A4 -> 2014 Audi S4

GR Hatch: 
46K views 176 replies 28 participants last post by  jjhoagland 
#1 · (Edited)
After owning her for 1 year:

The time has finally come and I have ordered a new STi just the way I want it. As I'm sure many of you out there have seen, the used market for them is so strong, that there are not many "deals" to be had on '08 or newer STi's... So after months and months and months of searching autotrader, craigslist, local and not-so-local dealer pages, I bit the bullet and ordered a 2011 DGM 5-Door STi from Huffman Subaru here in Kentucky. Robin was the sales manager that assisted me through everything, and I would highly recommend her to anyone. She was very very knowledgeable and promises frequent updates as the my order status/location.

Since I was 16 I have wanted an STi but they have always been way out of my price range. My first car was a '97 Celica GT, then a '97 Jeep Wrangler, '97 Honda Prelude (awesome car, did a lot to it), 2001 BMW 535i, 2007 350z, 2008 Civic Si, and finally my current car, a 2008 350z. This STi will be my first ever new car, and I am so glad I have been patient and saved for it. I have also had 5 motorcycles ('97 Honda NightHawk, '04 Yamaha F6, '04 Yamaha R6, '07 Yamaha R6 (Blue), and recently sold my '07 Yamaha R6 Raven).

I landed on DGM instead of SWP for the hatch, and I'm glad that was my final choice. If AW was still a color option, I would have jumped on it though...

I will be adding a ton of pictures as soon as my '11 arrives and update constantly from that point on. I have been searching the forums for what feels like forever, and couldn't be happier that I soon will officially be a part of the Subaru family =)

****UPDATE: as of Monday the dealership called me 3 days early and said my car had just arrived. When I went to pick it up, it was a 4 door, NOT THE 5-DOOR THAT I ORDERED!!!!! Subaru messed up big time because I saw the order form from the dealer and it clearly said 5-Door DGM. Long story short, they located a brand new hatch in Detroit, Michigan and overnighted it for me. They honored the base price even though this hatch has wheel locks and auto-dimming mirror. So happy that it's here now that I don't even care about the mix up. There is no possible way I could have waited another few months though... 11 miles on her when I pulled out of the lot!

(For some reason my 7 pictures are too big and I cannot resize... so added to Flickr!!!) Let me know what you all think, I'm beyond excited to FINALLY have my Subie =)

PICTURES:

Flickr: jjhoagland's Photostream

It's the fastest car I've ever been in and I couldn't be happier. I'm following strict break-in of shifting @ 4K RPMs or lower and see myself getting to that 1,000 mile mark in less than a week. I'm finding any excuse to run out for an errand or to just go drive because it's SO much better than my 350z and 1,000x more fun!

Attachments

See less See more
#40 ·
Re: 2011 DGM STi

we pretty much brushed up the tune and logged...no knock whatsoever so I'm chilling at 21.5psi, I have my alpine type r's in now along with a 200watt 4ch amp to push them...deck goes in tomorrow because the stock unit is distorting the hell out of my tunes... I may or may not be in louisville this weekend and I'm definitely going to be at the meet at Cox's park in March with the KYSC crew so...car is probably making close to 320-325 wheel hp

#41 ·

we pretty much brushed up the tune and logged...no knock whatsoever so I'm chilling at 21.5psi, I have my alpine type r's in now along with a 200watt 4ch amp to push them...deck goes in tomorrow because the stock unit is distorting the hell out of my tunes... I may or may not be in louisville this weekend and I'm definitely going to be at the meet at Cox's park in March with the KYSC crew so...car is probably making close to 320-325 wheel hp
That's always good news! You're like 15 steps ahead of me and I love the updates, can't wait until the meet....

#43 · (Edited)

Well after 1,000's of videos, I have officially narrowed it down to Magnaflow -OR- Greddy Spectrum Elite. Anyone that has either of these have an opinion as to why one is better than the other? I like the look of the Greddy better but as far as I can tell from videos, the Magnaflow sounds amazing...

***Edit: I was PM'd some links to some very negative feedback on Magnaflow's CBE. Even if I end up spending the extra $ on the Greddy, I'm sure I won't be dissapointed either way. Thanks for the feedback!

#47 ·

When you get that exhaust in please post lots of pics! I cant find any of the hatch model yet!!!!
I definitely will! I couldn't find any pictures either, but Jason @ Nameless Performance assured me it's amazing. It was supposed to ship out last week, but hasn't as of this afternoon. Anxiously waiting.... I can't wait to hear my car a little bit more haha

#49 ·
Hey! I'm in Louisville too. What is the meet? I've seen you around town!
Mine is '11 HB black, tinted. The car is a ton of fun and my wife is now making excuses to hit the grocery. Ha! I put the SMY cluster pod in last week with turbo and EGT gauge.
Invidia 3" downpipe, cobb CAI, stage 2+ CAI. Running stock catback since I'm like you..... 8 million videos per week. Mostly looking at Greddy spectrum elite, Maddad street series and whisper, Blitz nur spec R. It's a disease watching these vids!

#51 ·

The meet is Sunday March 27th at Cox's park by the river, you should definitely go! Was that you on Lyndon Ln last night? I was almost home and then I saw a black STi take off from the stopsign and followed for a bit haha. I don't see any around here- in the last 4 months I've seen a DGM hatch that looks just like mine with the silver BBS's and the black one (you?) last night.
Sounds like you've got a great jump on me mod-wise! Do you like the Invidia dp? I LOVE the Greddy SE look and sound and had one reserved for a few days, but ended up passing because I read a bunch of reviews that said it droned on the highway at any speed over 65mph. I put 350-400 miles on per week and just couldn't deal with any drone, I'd go nuts! The one I ordered supposedly is loud when you get on it but sounds stock when cruising. IT NEEDS TO GET HERE ASAP!
Shoot me a pm with your # if you ever want to go cruise some backroads on a weekend

#50 ·

nice. That's a great sounding exhaust. Can't wait for the photos and the video.

I'm thinking of the invidia Q300 or the Harman Motive. Heard lots of good things about the HM on this forum.

btw, I signed up for a track day the first Sunday of April. Should be fun :D. I've got a goPro camera now so I'll try to get some good videos.

#52 ·

nice. That's a great sounding exhaust. Can't wait for the photos and the video.

I'm thinking of the invidia Q300 or the Harman Motive. Heard lots of good things about the HM on this forum.

btw, I signed up for a track day the first Sunday of April. Should be fun :D. I've got a goPro camera now so I'll try to get some good videos.
Both would be a great choice- I heard the Harman is super loud, so if that's what you're going for, definitely get that one! Let me know how the track day goes, I'll do one eventually, I just want to have more done to my car by the time I sign up. GoPro is great, I had one for my '07 R6 and mounted up front. Got some good footage of the Dragon @ Deals Gap in NC

#53 · (Edited)

Also, they didn't have one in hatch version, but I got this awesome poster for my garage that I know some of you would probably like to order. HUGE 24" x 62". Looks really clear/crisp in person- sorry for the crappy phone pic:

(Yes, I did paint my garage Harley Davidson orange haha. No regrets... I also made a cutout stencil of the STi logo and spray painted it on the other side. Will have to take a pic of it)

#55 ·

Real perty! Great detail job. I love to clean and detail mine too. Like goin to the spa lol.

#56 · (Edited)

FROM Board Message

"That's right kids,come one come all, it's time to get this meet season started. I know some of use are going to Cincy on Sat, but we decided that we where also going to have our kick off meet on Sunday with dinner to follow at Fiesta Time. Meet will start at 2pm this year and is open to all who want to come and hang out and have fun.

Update for the Louisville crew:

Anyone that wants to convoy in to Tom Sawyer State Park, meet up at the Ashley Furniture around 1pm and you guys will leave around 130, to head to the park. Anybody that is closer to the park, then go ahead and just head on over to the park if you want to.

Ashley Furniture
11521 Bluegrass Pkwy
Jeffersontown, KY 40299

Final Update: Meet has been moved to Tom Sawyer State Park due to heaving flooding and Cox's Park being closed. So only the meeting place has changed.

Address for the Tom Sawyer State Park

E. P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park
3000 Freys Hill Road
Louisville, KY 40241-2132 "

MEET LOCATION HAS CHANGED! Just wanted to let anyone from Louisville know... See everyone Sunday

#57 · (Edited)

Another Subie has joined the garage as of last night... '11 Impreza 4-dr. 5.5 miles on her when it left the lot!

When we picked her up- gas tank full and all shined up

Earlier in the day when I went to iron out all the details... They look good next to each other haha. Still had the protective plastics on, as it had just come in off the transport truck

#59 ·
Re: 2011 DGM STi: Nameless Performance Axle-Back installed. Post #58

^nice. wow...your stock muffler got some serious rust on it already. They use salt on your roads?

The Nameless muffler is like the Harman Motive catback I bought (used). It uses the same Magnaflow muffler. I'll be installing it tomorrow afternoon.

lol @ our parallel-ness.

#61 ·

Yes, stock DP & midpipe... Everything fit perfectly and install was very easy (as easy as it could have been without a lift/ramps/jack. Just parked on a hill and crawled under to go to work). It's the perfect amount of growl. Not very loud, and most of its noise is below 3,000 rpm. Over 3,000 it's almost silent. Also, there is zero drone and hwy driving sounds just like stock. I wish it was a little louder, but at least I can hear my car a little bit more now, I love it! Waiting for Nameless Performance to finish designing the midpipe to complete the package

#63 ·

Axleback almost looks easy enough for a good muffler shop to fab up---maybe I should bug my bro (welder) to make one---just hack up the old one and weld on some pipe. :rolleyes:
Would have done the same thing myself if I'd known of a good local shop. Go for it... worst case scenario you don't like it and just get something else. Jason @ Nameless said it'll definitely get louder with the DP and midpipe added, so I can't wait for that!

#64 ·

We have had 3-4 customers go to their local muffler shop to try to copy our parts and every single one either got a substandard offer (mig welded aluminized pipe vs. stainless) or higher price point than we offer at $300 for the Sedan or $435 for the hatch.

I think you'll find that our product is the best price point you'll find for the material and manufacturing quality and design.

Thanks,

J

#66 ·

We have had 3-4 customers go to their local muffler shop to try to copy our parts and every single one either got a substandard offer (mig welded aluminized pipe vs. stainless) or higher price point than we offer at $300 for the Sedan or $435 for the hatch.

I think you'll find that our product is the best price point you'll find for the material and manufacturing quality and design.

Thanks,

J
I can definitely vouch for the quality of Nameless Performance's work... every weld and piece is flawless, the fit to OEM midpipe was perfect, and the tips are aligned perfectly under the bumper. For the price, it's exactly what I wanted looks & sound-wise. Plus it'll be easy to swap in the 3"midpipe once they're done with that.

#65 ·

...still in love with my 750 dollar TBE :cool:

Hey J-man...don't remember if you showed interest in rotated turbo kits or if that other guy up there was interested but check out APS's offering, I'm starting to lean more towards that kit as opposed to P&L and they're "not so solid" customer feedback.

#67 ·

...still in love with my 750 dollar TBE :cool:

Hey J-man...don't remember if you showed interest in rotated turbo kits or if that other guy up there was interested but check out APS's offering, I'm starting to lean more towards that kit as opposed to P&L and they're "not so solid" customer feedback.
That was Brian....I'll pass along to him for sure. Will you still get about the same power with the APS kit?

#69 ·
I'm all over the APS- 450 conservative.. That might feel fast, ha! Good meeting you guys Sunday.
I started reading the info. On the DK site , thanks for the info. So, I'm still looking at exhaust videos. Greddy sounds best on videos, but the titanium tips are too much jazz for me. I'm old. Might be copying your nameless! And your yellow overlays.
- copy cat

#70 · (Edited)

Couple small updates:
- 2nd oil change last week at 4,010 miles. (I'm at 4,200ish right now)
- Had a single 12" sub and an 800w amp installed today. Have the bass knob turned almost all the way down, but am LOVING the extra depth to the music now. $ well spent
- All weather mats. Our cars should come with these, the stock carpet mats are not high quality
- Got to order $419 worth of Subie accessories from dealer at no charge (long story short, Huffman is amazing, and will 1,000% take care of their customers)
Got a trunk tray, trunk organizer, Duracon shift knob, cargo net, and the biggie---- DGM body side moldings. Pictures to be added soon!
- Exhaust has definitely gotten louder, very happy with it. Will be ordering an Invidia DP, Cobb SF intake, Nameless mid pipe (or Perrin mid pipe if Nameless doesn't have theirs ready soon), and getting a PRO TUNE!!!!!

#72 ·

I can't believe I missed this axleback! This is what I've been looking for.
Highly recommend. Great quality, and they can do a 3" or 2.5" option depending on what mid pipe you're running. Makes some nice sound 3,000rpm and below, very quiet above that though with zero drone.

Still love the Greddy Spectrum Elite CBE look/sound. Maybe one day haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.