GR Hatch: Sabrewings' 2009 DGM STI (updated 05/27/2015, Gone but not forgotten) - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Sabrewings' 2009 DGM STI (updated 05/27/2015, Gone but not forgotten)
Sabrewings' 2009 DGM STI (updated 05/27/2015, Gone but not forgotten)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: Sabrewings' 2009 DGM STI (updated 05/27/2015, Gone but not forgotten)

Old 01-10-11, 04:19 PM   #21
kakarot09
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

kakarot09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sabrewings' 2009 Dark Grey Metallic STI - "Alli"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewings View Post
Whilteline steering rack bushings installed! Can't believe I waited so long on these. They've been in the box for months.
Do you feel like it makes a big difference?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-11, 04:32 PM   #22
Sabrewings
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: 1 Meter Fuel Line
My Subaru Parts for sale

Sabrewings is on a distinguished road

Big? Not necessarily. Noticeable, especially the first time you drive it afterwards. It's easy to get used to it, but every time you are lightly making corrections within the old "dead zone" you'll take notice.

I had some trouble getting the alignment back perfectly. I had the shaft aligned properly, but the rack was slightly out of position before the bolts were tightened. If you need help correcting this, let me know. I figured it out with the an extra pair of hands from the wife in the driver's seat.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-10-11, 07:01 PM   #23
STiEZY
Becoming A Master Contributor

Fav Mod: To Date: COBB SF Intake / GTSPEC D Shaped Steering Wheel
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STiEZY is an unknown quantity at this point

What were you putting down before the protune? I like the thought of 300+ WHP!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-11, 08:19 AM   #24
Sabrewings
Advanced Mastery Level V

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiEZY View Post
What were you putting down before the protune? I like the thought of 300+ WHP!!
291WHP on the OTS Cobb Stage 2 map. Never had a stock baseline done.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-12-11, 06:26 PM   #25
Sabrewings
Advanced Mastery Level V

My Subaru Parts for sale

Spent some quality time with the STI today. Installed the Group N trans mount, TiC tranny crossmember bushings (what a great product), and finished installing my holy shifter kit from TiC (still had to do the pivot and trunnion bushings).

First, I took these pics to help out those having issues on where and how to properly use jacks and jackstands with the GR body. Figure I'll toss them here too in order to show off my tools some too.

First up, interior is disassembled for shifter removal. Ready to lift it up:

Jack and jack stand placement for the front. Note the awesome lift of the jack. And not even fully extended yet:

My full set up for working under the car with all four tires in the air. Plenty of redundancy in case something fails. There is another gray jack I use that isn't pictured, but I put it opposite the orange one:

My jack stands properly interface with the pinch welds and OEM jack points to prevent damage:

My target for the first phase. The tranny crossmember support. Note the gray sandwich bushing that will be replaced. They're incredibly soft:

Not much to see here, but the new Group N trans mount is on the left. Stocker on the right. The stocker you can flex it with your bare hands, but the Group N is incredibly stiff for rubber. Very impressed:

When I was first installing my Holy Shift kit, I was unable to hammer out the roll pin. This time I decided to try the alternative method of unbolting and lowering the tranny and pushing it to the passenger side to get clearance and remove the bolt. Worked like a charm (and, come to find out, is the factory service manual's suggested method):

OMGeez! There's a hole in the floor!

Pivot busings (blue ones) were ready to come out. So worn they practically fell out. This mod can be done with the shifter in the car, but why when I'm removing it anyway?

Pivot bolted back up:

First trunnion bushing fell out, just like pivot bushing:

Oh, and what do you know, so did the second trunnion bushing:

After this, reinstall of the shifter went smoothly. I regreased all bushings (including the poly Kartboy front and rear stay bushings). Now, we're looking at the support plate removed from the car. Let's get started. Note the cherry blossom red TiC bushings ready and waiting:

This picture shows the thickness difference of the rear lower bushing to the rest. All four are NOT the same size on the 08+ STI/WRX. This is why I didn't get the Kartboy kit as TiC includes a spacer for keeping this thickness in this spot. Also, these bushings are extremely soft. Could use them in a bag as a pillow:

All bolted back up, not finally torqued though. Waiting to get it back in the car for that. It's not stated in guides, but I greased all surfaces of these bushings as well. They're not metal, so some movement is going to take place. My rear shifter stay had started to squeak on decel at slow speeds a few months ago and I didn't want to deal with that from any of these (greased the hell out of the rear stay to prevent it next time, too):

My thoughts? Totally worth it. Every last bit. This all took me about 3 hours, and I was taking my time with it. Fun day. Shifts are much more crisp, and shifter action is precise with no free play in it at all. Some report shifting gets more stiff, but I would assume they overtightened something. I followed all suggested torque specs and it requires the same effort it did before.

I did miss the gate going to 3rd the first time I was driving aggressively. I was used to the slop of the shifter and rolling of the tranny, so now that the car lacks that the gate isn't quite where it was before. Much more consistent though now in all situations. Much less bounciness in low gears on compression braking, and throttle response has greatly improved. Looking forward to my next round of mounts and bushings!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-27-11, 05:25 PM   #26
Sabrewings
Advanced Mastery Level V

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Sabrewings' 2009 Dark Grey Metallic STI - "Alli" (updated 2/12/2011)

More work done yesterday. Installed the Whiteline rear diff inserts, the Whiteline rear subframe inserts, and removed the flap on the fender vents. Pictures below. I love what the bushings did for the car's handling and response. Near total transformation. It was agile before, but now it's razor sharp. Great transitions.

Removing vent:

All done:

Finally got the diff support out (one nut was hard because my exhaust prevented using the impact):

Head on shot showing bushing with voids:

All done:

Where the other rear diff inserts go (didn't have to remove sway or exhaust to get to these, just used extensions):

All done:

Where the rear subframe inserts go:

Big *** bolts that hold it up:

Ready to put in the inserts:

Washers I flatted the tabs on per Whiteline's instructions. These are reused on top of the inserts:

Getting close to done:

The top insert here is finally seated by jack up the subframe and the bolt tightening:

All bolted back up:

A few general under car shots. Love the look of all the bushings:

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-27-11, 07:01 PM   #27
kakarot09

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Sabrewings' 2009 Dark Grey Metallic STI - "Alli" (updated 2/12/2011)

So how does the car feel with the rear inserts now? Is it a pretty noticeable difference? What about nvh?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-27-11, 08:20 PM   #28
Sabrewings
Advanced Mastery Level V

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot09 View Post
So how does the car feel with the rear inserts now? Is it a pretty noticeable difference? What about nvh?
The handling difference is very strong. I'm amazed at how much for such a little mod. NVH is about the same. I only notice a slight growl from the rear of the car as I get higher in the RPMs. Almost like the tone of my exhaust changed. Nothing huge, just noticeable.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-27-11, 11:06 PM   #29
bonky
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bonky is an unknown quantity at this point

looking good! Thats alot of torque for just stage 2.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-28-11, 10:13 PM   #30
kakarot09

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Sabrewings' 2009 Dark Grey Metallic STI - "Alli" (updated 2/27/2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewings View Post
The handling difference is very strong. I'm amazed at how much for such a little mod. NVH is about the same. I only notice a slight growl from the rear of the car as I get higher in the RPMs. Almost like the tone of my exhaust changed. Nothing huge, just noticeable.
Thanks. I really like your journal so far. You put a lot of detail in and you've done the things that I think should be done to the car that not as many people do I really want to get the GR.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement