Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: The Abomination

Old 04-26-10, 06:39 PM   #21
Fujiwara
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: Experience
My Subaru Parts for sale

Fujiwara is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Tofu delivery Special (3M clearbra installed, intercooer screen constructed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHGurs View Post
The stock CBE isn't a huge restriction. I got my SE protuned last week with a TXS CAI, Forge MBC and an Invidia Catless DP. Airboy dyno plot put it at 289whp/312wtq, so close to your power goal, and if she can deal with the intake sound, it should pass the wife test.
I've actually been looking at the Megan Racing catless downpipe, I found one for $140, which is a pretty good price. You think the MBC will be necessary, or did you just want one? She'll be just fine with the intake sound, as she likes the sounds it currently makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother View Post
Perrin has their intakes on sale til the end of April, but they don't have their maps for the 2010 yet, so you wouldn't want to put the cai on until either their maps are ready or you can get protuned.

I went ahead and ordered mine anyway just to get the good price. It's just gonna be sitting in the box til their 2010 maps are ready though.
Been looking at getting the Perrin intake, due to the low cost and the clean look of the black CAI. I'll be going straight to a protune by Robbie at Epic Motorsports when I install the intake and downpipe.

3M Clearbra was installed by the same place that did my tinting, and I'm sure the investment will pay off since I have quite a bit of highway driving to work everyday. However, be careful who you get to install the clearbra, it can look like complete garbage on a black car if not done correctly. Mine will be redne by the shop since there are some areas I'm not currently happy with. It's always good to have an installer skiing the alpine slopes while he does the intall

Made an intercooler protective screen this evening, and posted a write up in the how-to section. Total cost was $31.50, and the construction should take about an hour, minus any painting an mounting.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-10, 05:46 AM   #22
DHGurs
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: OBP GR SE
Fav Mod: 275/40 'Kook C71 slicks & driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

DHGurs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tofu delivery Special (3M clearbra installed, intercooer screen constructed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiwara View Post
I've actually been looking at the Megan Racing catless downpipe, I found one for $140, which is a pretty good price. You think the MBC will be necessary, or did you just want one? She'll be just fine with the intake sound, as she likes the sounds it currently makes.

Been looking at getting the Perrin intake, due to the low cost and the clean look of the black CAI. I'll be going straight to a protune by Robbie at Epic Motorsports when I install the intake and downpipe.

3M Clearbra was installed by the same place that did my tinting, and I'm sure the investment will pay off since I have quite a bit of highway driving to work everyday. However, be careful who you get to install the clearbra, it can look like complete garbage on a black car if not done correctly. Mine will be redne by the shop since there are some areas I'm not currently happy with. It's always good to have an installer skiing the alpine slopes while he does the intall

Made an intercooler protective screen this evening, and posted a write up in the how-to section. Total cost was $31.50, and the construction should take about an hour, minus any painting an mounting.
My tuner prefers it, he said it's not necessary but it should hold boost a bit better. When he tuned my WRX previously, I never had one.

Cool idea on the screen!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-27-10, 06:30 PM   #23
KManZ
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

KManZ will become famous soon enoughKManZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tofu delivery Special (3M clearbra installed, intercooler screen constructed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiwara View Post
I've read quite a few pieces on the GR, and it seems like the bodyroll and understeer described by many drivers has been fixed in the Special Edition. The nose still rises up, but the tail seems quite stable, with me pulling in second gear 3000-6500 rpms on a corner that should be taken at 15mph (wasnt looking at speedo).
Sunday I went to Shenandoah park and took some curves. The addition of the sub-frame and diff bushings have really settled down the car's jittery feel compared to when I took it out there in stock form last fall. With the stiffer springs of the SE, I am thinking things would have been even better. HURRY UP RCE!!!!11

Clear bra on my car has more than paid for itself so far. Good choice! The SE rims look blue in some shots. Damn cool!

I am putting my Invidia DP on tomorrow night after work. We are in step with our mods LOL 35% tint- exactly what I am looking to have done soon too! Was supposed to go in yesterday to get it done as a matter of fact, and when I got there the shop had closed up for an emergency. Oh well, saved me $260.

Last edited by KManZ; 04-27-10 at 06:37 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-10, 03:50 AM   #24
Mother
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: Eurodyne Tune
My Subaru Parts for sale

Mother is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tofu delivery Special (3M clearbra installed, intercooler screen constructed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManZ View Post
The SE rims look blue in some shots. Damn cool!
They definitely do when you get them in the right light. Subaru calls them "charcoal", but I really think they're more of a gunmetal.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-02-10, 06:15 AM   #25
Fujiwara

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Tofu delivery Special (turboback ordered)

Ordered the erz tubroback. At $350 I can't turn it down, mostly since the maddad turboback is about $1600. Parts will arrive at the house after I've already left, so I won't be able to get tuned to stage 2 while i'm home (even expediting wasn't getting it here in time). Kind of bummed about not getting it installed until august, but it'll get installed eventually.

My tuner also said boost controllers, ems, etc aren't really necessary with the stock ecu, so I'll be staying with just tuning the ecu until anything like that is necessary.

Diff and other bushings are def on top of list priority wise, and I hadn't considered a subframe. I'll have to look into that and see.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-06-10, 08:44 AM   #26
Fujiwara

My Subaru Parts for sale

Wife will be driving the subie until august when I get home. Sad that I couldn't get stage2 done before leave ended, but it will give me something to look forward to. Will continue to research and update my parts list though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-18-10, 09:11 AM   #27
Fujiwara

My Subaru Parts for sale

Currently researching Car PCs. Thinking that with OBDII support, I should be able to avoid mounting gauges all together and keep a very clean OEM appearance while still being able to see electronic gauges. 7.1 Surround will also be great. Current Plan is for 2x 8" subs under the rear seat. Still trying to decide what CAI... thinking about changing my planned perrin to the AEM because of the numbers they advertise. Not happy with the AEM color and will have to paint it crinkle black to get the look I want, but power is more of my concern.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-13-10, 06:03 AM   #28
Fujiwara

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Tofu delivery Special (turboback arrived)

Considering the AMR big MAF CAI. Anyone have a good reason to not to? I figure I might as well shell out the extra money and not have to worry about size later on. From what I've read it shouldn't be an issue.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-13-10, 11:42 AM   #29
Fujiwara

My Subaru Parts for sale

Thumbs up Re: Tofu delivery Special (AMR Big MAF Purchased)

Went ahead and purchased the AMR Big MAF Cold Air Intake. Once I get home, the wrinkle red will be stripped from the intake and the black 2400F Jet-Hot coating will be applied. I'll be taking the Tsudo downpipe in at the same time to get the same coating. Next I just need to get a silicone coated turbo inlet and such. Hoping that insulating all this piping will reduce intake temps significantly. If not, it'll still look good
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-15-10, 03:29 PM   #30
thirtyANDseven
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

thirtyANDseven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tofu delivery Special (AMR Big MAF Purchased)

clean STi. Subscribed
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement