GR Hatch: IAG Built| HTA86| >500whp| Daily driven for 155,000 miles - Page 270 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
IAG Built| HTA86| >500whp| Daily driven for 155,000 miles
IAG Built| HTA86| >500whp| Daily driven for 155,000 miles
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: IAG Built| HTA86| >500whp| Daily driven for 155,000 miles

Old 07-29-17, 06:35 PM   #2691
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: IAG Built| HTA86| >500whp| Daily driven for 135,000 miles

Sorry I wasn't clear, Thanks.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-17, 08:52 AM   #2692
Delphi
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: 6 Speed
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Delphi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1029 View Post
I would consider swaintech but I'm still adamantly against wrapping. I firmly believe I wouldn't have gotten 8 years out of these headers with wrapping since it just traps moisture and dirt. I've seen wrapped KillerB headers fail so the lower quality steel on these Tomeis would last even a shorter period of time. Changing out headers on this vband kit was a pain in the ass because the new vband had to be welded on in the exact configuration and orientation for it connect perfectly to the uppipe.
Don't forget that the Tomei's run a different design than KB though. Having that slip joint in both the GT spec and Tomei's allow for expansion and movement. This helps prevent cracking a lot.

Also the Tomei's in my opinion are 1 notch above the GT Spec in quality because the Merges and Collector are cast parts not tube to tube.
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 08-14-17, 08:33 AM   #2693
mheyman
Gold Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
Don't forget that the Tomei's run a different design than KB though. Having that slip joint in both the GT spec and Tomei's allow for expansion and movement. This helps prevent cracking a lot.
I would have thought that clamping the them enough so they do not leak makes them immovable and exactly like one piece in terms of expansion - except with added stress points.

It's possible "adjusting them to fit reduces stress, but I have suspect the KB would come out on top due to being built more accurately everywhere to start with.

Last edited by mheyman; 08-15-17 at 06:57 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-17, 08:49 AM   #2694
Delphi
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: 6 Speed
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Delphi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
I would have thought that clamping the them enough so they do not leak makes them immovable and exactly like one piece in terms of expansion - except with added stress points.

It's possible "adjusting them to fit reduces stress, but I have suspect the KB would come out on top due to being built more accurately everywhere to start with.

KB headers merge collector is highly stressed under extreme conditions. The 4-1 merge collector while being the best design experiences some extreme forces. They all seem to crack in the same area with both Cast collector and the fabricated collect, albeit the fabricated is more likely to crack.

KB has the best design on the market, but with it comes some strength draw backs, which is made up with 321 stainless. The merge is not braced between the pipes, couple this with thermal expansion of the block and the headers and everything else it is likely the headers are experiencing a force pulling them apart between flanges. Add in engine vibrations and 1600°F heat it really goes through the ringer.

Having the slip joints allows for movement, even though they are "clamped in place" it will still shift. That friction fit with the tiny little machine screws holding it will move before the steel gives more than likely. Obviously they will still eventually fail as seen above but it is pretty obvious it was fatigue.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-02-17, 07:28 AM   #2695
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Nothing to update, had uppipe welded due to a crack but car still running great

Likes 6 Dislikes 0

Old 11-19-17, 01:48 PM   #2696
ShinjiML
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2011 STI DGM
Fav Mod: Spoolinator; Back-up Camera; ShinjiTuned
My Subaru Parts for sale

ShinjiML has a spectacular aura aboutShinjiML has a spectacular aura aboutShinjiML has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: IAG Built| HTA86| >500whp| Daily driven for 140,000 miles

User, what kind of inline filter do you run?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-19-17, 02:29 PM   #2697
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V

My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Fragola Performance Systems Inline Fuel Filters 960002-BL - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 11-19-17, 07:07 PM   #2698
mheyman
Gold Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
KB headers merge collector is highly stressed under extreme conditions. . . . The merge is not braced between the pipes, couple this with thermal expansion of the block and the headers and everything else it is likely the headers are experiencing a force pulling them apart between flanges. Add in engine vibrations and 1600°F heat it really goes through the ringer.

All that and I mostly agree

I not convinced bracing the merge in any practical way would help much.

Quote:
Having the slip joints allows for movement, even though they are "clamped in place" it will still shift. That friction fit with the tiny little machine screws holding it will move before the steel gives more than likely. Obviously they will still eventually fail as seen above but it is pretty obvious it was fatigue.
or that that slip joints slip. If they did they would wear, slip more, leak and fail prematurely - wait some do that!!! So, the ones that don't were are either either a better design and/or tighter tolerances, or they were installed and tightened properly or some combination.

Last edited by mheyman; 11-19-17 at 09:11 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-25-17, 05:52 AM   #2699
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V

My Subaru Parts for sale

Likes 7 Dislikes 0

Old 11-25-17, 11:18 AM   #2700
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level II

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud of

Not bad... not bad at all.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement