IW STi Forum banner

llTomTomll's SSM 08 STi - IAG 35R

GR Hatch: 
27K views 99 replies 29 participants last post by  eh69758 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I got my very first Subaru in Oct '08. Buying the STi was the best decision I have ever made. Thank gawd I didn't get another suv. I had a Ford Explorer for 7 years. It was awesome driving it, but I needed a change. I def wanted a more sportier car. I was actually thinking of the EVO X, but no trunk space and the car actually felt smaller than the STi. I def needed trunk space and all wheel drive capability. Comparing the EVO X and the STi, I actually liked the look of the hatch better ( I hate hatches!!), but I loved the new look. I have always liked STi's so I had to get one for myself.

At first, driving the car stock was just a dream on its own. Then I started reading and looking through at all the threads about the car and how awesome stg 1 was and how it changes everything. I had to get it and I got it, and I loved it even more. now, the power bug hit me and I had to get more.

I love boardings so I had to get a roof rack and all weather tires.
I went up to New Hampshire and other places on the east coast a couple times this year, and the car is awesome for road trips. The car is comfortable and smooth.

and so here it is... for now :)

MODS:

Engine Management:

COBB AP [30] and [35]
-[OLD]20G TD06 tuned by Jorge @ IAG (361whp 352 wtq) (dyno vid)
-[CURRENT] Rotated GT35r 0.82 [95]

Turbo:

[OLD] Blouch TD06 20g 8cm housing
[CURRENT] IAG Rotated GT35r 0.82 [95]

Intercooler:

Perrin FMIC

Exhaust/ Power Mods:

[OLD] Invidia catted DP
[OLD]P & L HighFlo BigMaf intake
[OLD]Prosport Headers and up pipe
[OLD]Perrin Turbo inlet (factory tore and caused a boost leak)
Megan Racing CBE BLUE TIPS!!! [55]
[CURRENT] IAG Built Motor
[CURRENT] IAG 3" BigMAF intake
[CURRENT] IAG Custom Headers and up pipe
[CURRENT] IAG Custom DP with added cat
[CURRENT] Tial 44mm EWG dumped back into DP
[CURRENT] Stock BOV recirculated back in

Fuel Delivery:
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
[OLD]DW 850cc topfeed injectors
[CURRENT] Injector Dynamics 1000cc top feed

Other/Bushings:

Exedy Twin plate clutch
Grimmspeed Boost Solenoid
NGK 1 step colder spark plug
Kartboy Pitch Mount

Wheels (post #3):

Winter set up: Stock rims w/continental all weather contacts
Summer set up: P45R 18x9.5 +30 w/ Hankook Ventus V12 255/35/18 [66] [72]

Suspension (post #2):

BEFORE:RCE Functional Springs/ Regular Guy Springs(lowered 5mm) http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-susp...yers-what-matters-more-looks-function-10.html

BEFORE: RCE Yellows [66] [72]

NOW: BC BR Coilovers [92]

22mm Adj Whiteline Front Sway bars ==> Installed (3/18/09)
22mm Adj Whiteline Rear Sway bars ==>Installed (3/18/09)
Cusco Front Strut Tower Bar [55]
Kartboy End links - F/R [92]
Agency Power Lower Control arms [92]

Exterior

RA mudflaps
20% Tint
Fog Lights
Sport Grille
OEM Cross Bars / Yakima Fat Cat 6 roof rack / Thule 38" modified faring
Replica V-Limited front lip
Red Tail light Overlays [55]
R205 Fender Badge
Replica JDM rain gaurds
Hella Tones (silver) [76]

Interior:

Sparco Torino Seat
Rear view mirror gauge pod
PROSPORT Halo gauges (BOOST/EGT)

PICS:

More to come....

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: llTomTomll's Journal - RCE Functional springs install (3/4)

UPDATE:

3/2/09: Race Comp Engineering has my car right now and are testing their new springs on my car. The installing of the springs is at AtSpeed in MD and from what I hear, the analysis of the springs seem to be awesome. Myles said straight "wow" to be exact. I cant wait to check it out. :)

Myles is awesome to work with and he def knows his stuff. Mad props dude.

Check out the thread on http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-suspension-handling-stiffening/155702-lowering-springs-buyers-what-matters-more-looks-function-10.html

3/4/09:

Got my car back today and the car is fantastic. Myles from RCE and Bob from Atspeed is a great job in installing the springs. Great guys to work with. They answered all my questions about the car and took care of me all the way.

As for the springs, they are awesome. The suspension of the car is much better now. tigther and responds better at higher speeds and also on accel/decel of the car.

Needs some sways now to even better my suspension.

Some pics of the car getting the springs installed at AtSpeed.

set up

Springs

Springs are in

Before the springs settled in

UPDATE (3/11/09):

It has been 1 week since I got my car back from Myles with Race Comp Engineering and AtSpeed. So far so good :) The car is still smooth and and the ride has tightened up a lot from before.

Here are some pics from today. I think it actually dropped a little bit more. you guys can decide on that from the pics, but I wanted the springs for the performance :) AWESOME! :)

Difference in height ??? :confused:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/../www.atspeedmotorsports.com

#3 · (Edited)
New power set up on its way!!!

Update (3/22/09):

Shot of the dirty exhaust and rear sways

Dirty engine bay with AEM cold air intake and nothing else...

Wheels and the car...

UPDATE: 4/7/09

Installed the replica V-Limited front Lip from Bayson. Install was super quick. Its a nice little look mod.

UPDATE: 4/21/09
Pics taken at Bunny Man's Bridge on 4/19/09

#5 ·
Re: llTomTomll's Journal - SSM '08 STi - RCE Functional springs installed (3/4)

Lookin' good! got any pics after they've settled?

#7 ·
Re: llTomTomll's Journal - SSM '08 STi - RCE Functional springs installed (3/4)

Nice build so far! Glad to see another NOVA GR! I'd like to hear your Ex someday. Keep up the good work!

#9 ·
Installed F/R whiteline sways, AEM CAI, and Clark Turning Tuning Map

Yesterday I installed whiteline 22mm adj. Front/Rear Sway bars, AEM cold aire intake with a Clark Turner Tuning stg 2 map w/CAI

Sways were a biatch!!! those bolts are impossible, but were finally installed.
DEF! an awesome change in suspension. Especially with the RCE functional springs.

AEM intake was easy to install. The sounds is nice and the custom protune map that I got from Clark Turner includes the cai change.

I decided to go with this map because I figured I would save some money not doing a protune (not done power mod'n). Also, I heard Clark is awesome to work with.

Overall I am please with everything so far. Tomorrow my Rota G-Force wheels are coming in!!! I will get them on soon hopefully.

Once thats on... I think Ill start saving money again and chill out on this mod'n thing. :) I love it.

#10 ·
Re: llTomTomll's Journal - SSM '08 STi - AEM CAI w/clark turner stg 2 and SWAYS insta

Definitely want to see lots of pics with the G Forces on as I’m thinking of getting G Forces in silver or gunmetallic for my SS (wish they offered them in hyper black). Closest thing to Advan RS’s I could find in a price I can afford.

How do you like the sways so far? I’ve only gotten the steering rack bushings but sways are on the list as well as springs.

Great shots.

#12 ·
Re: llTomTomll's Journal - SSM '08 STi - AEM CAI w/clark turner stg 2 and SWAYS insta

Definitely want to see lots of pics with the G Forces on as I’m thinking of getting G Forces in silver or gunmetallic for my SS (wish they offered them in hyper black). Closest thing to Advan RS’s I could find in a price I can afford.

How do you like the sways so far? I’ve only gotten the steering rack bushings but sways are on the list as well as springs.

Great shots.
Sways are great and springs are great. I finally got my summer set up now :) Im loving it.

The wheels are sick. I also went the cheaper route on wheels. I knew I would get pissed and upset if I got nice wheels and got them dinged up and scratched. I do drive this car like a mo fo everywhere so I figure I wont get as mad if they get some scratches here and there. We shall see :)

I am working on pics now.... will have them up in a jiffy.

#11 ·

Those pics are amazing! I noticed you have the standard STI rims like I do but you have the fog lights. Did you get the fog lights installed at a later time? they look like they are HID lights, did they come standard with HIDs?

#16 ·

Those pics are amazing! I noticed you have the standard STI rims like I do but you have the fog lights. Did you get the fog lights installed at a later time? they look like they are HID lights, did they come standard with HIDs?
I just added it after I purchased the car. I just highlighted or enhanced the color of the pic so it looks HID. I wish it really was HID. hahahaha.

#15 ·
Re: llTomTomll's Journal - SSM '08 STi - G Force Gun Metallic installed

Looks great as always! its funny, sometimes the new springs/drop is noticeable in the pics, others not so much. I can't wait to get mine, but am wondering how the end product will really look (and perform of course).

#19 ·

Nice job on the car!!
My hold up on getting mods is the fear of voiding the factory warranty. I know SOA acknowledges mods to intake, exhaust, and suspensions...do you know if they are OK with flashing the ECU with AccessPort?

So far I just dropped in a K&N replacement filter in the air box...and I am getting 23.8mpg HWY!! (average 70-75mph)

My plan:
Cone intake (brand unsure)
AMR catted exhaust system
AccessPort stage II
Maybe coil overs....(debating with ride quality, curb clearance, wife's approval) :D

#21 ·

Nice job on the car!!
My hold up on getting mods is the fear of voiding the factory warranty. I know SOA acknowledges mods to intake, exhaust, and suspensions...do you know if they are OK with flashing the ECU with AccessPort?

So far I just dropped in a K&N replacement filter in the air box...and I am getting 23.8mpg HWY!! (average 70-75mph)

My plan:
Cone intake (brand unsure)
AMR catted exhaust system
AccessPort stage II
Maybe coil overs....(debating with ride quality, curb clearance, wife's approval) :D

I was fearful of losing the factory warranty, but I asked the service dept manager and he told me as long as my mods are not directly related to the fault then ill be straight.

#22 ·

The wheels look nice! When I asked wheeldude they indicated 22lbs for the 18x8.5" +48 offset. I was going to order them but they said 2-3 month wait for gun metal or hyper silver since it's special order! Which offset do you have? :tup:

#26 ·
Re: llTomTomll's Journal - SSM '08 STi - Front Lip w/ summer wheels PICS

Dropped off my car at IAG in MD yesterday :) I will be going back saturday to get my car back after the tuning session with Jorge.

Stage 2 is great and fun, but I wanted more, why? I dont know. This car is a freaking addiction and it's killing my wallet. :( :)

Mods for this weekend:

Blouch TD06 20g 8cm turbo
GT spec II UEL and Up Pipe
Perrin FMIC
Fuel pump
850cc injectors
Grimmspeed boost solenoid
Spark Plugs

Tune w/ Jorge @ IAG md

Anyone want my stock stuff?

up for sale.

Thomas

#27 ·
Re: llTomTomll's Journal - SSM '08 STi - Front Lip w/ summer wheels PICS

siiiiiiiiiiiqqqqqq... can't wait to see what the 20G puts down for you as I'm considering that route in a year or so myself. Very nice :tup:

#30 ·
Re: llTomTomll's Journal - SSM '08 STi -TD06 20g FMIC

New Set up:

Bouch TD06 20g 8cm
Perrin FMIC
DW 850cc inj
grimmspeed boost solenoid
walbro fuel pump
Prosport headers up pipe
P&L HighFlo big maf intake
1 step colder plugs
Invidia catted DP
Megan Racing CBE

First, I got to thank Rick, JJ, Jorge, and the whole IAG crew!!!
Rick went above and beyond in helping get my set up. IAG customer service is fantastic.

I got my tune from IAG and Jorge today and man it was awesome. I got back in the evening driving on 695->795->95-> 495->66-> local roads. Man the car is f'n sick. The car drives so smooth and it has so much power. :)

I mode: 265hp 221tq @ 12.4 psi

drives smooth and boring

S mode: 294hp 293tq @ 14.03 psi

drives smooth and the power comes in gradually throughout the powerband. It definitely has more power then the S# on stg II. Especially over 70 mph. The car just keeps going on strong.

S# mode: 361hp 352tq @ 20.55 psi

Holy Sh#t !
Im guessing the 8cm housing on the TD06 20g turbo helps with the high end power of the car. The car is a beast! Power again comes in smooth and fast. It is nothing like stg 2 maps. Before the car would just power out after 3500rpm, but now the power just keeps coming at all gears and at all speeds.

Im not sure if my gauges are right, but the car is telling me I am at 29.6mpg. This is after the tune and me flooring the car half the time on the highway :D :tup: I also noticed on the highways the car actually runs more quietly. +1

The car is a real dream. the car sounds so damn sexy, whether it is from the P & L big MAF intake or the uel hearders. The car has a different sound to it and I f'n love it :). I cant describe in words how awesome the car is now. Speechless

I will post of pics and graphs up tomorrow :)

Thomas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.