IW STi Forum banner

ThunderRobo - Function>Form - Getting replaced!

GR Hatch: 
448K views 2K replies 162 participants last post by  Corentco 
#1 · (Edited)

http://www.alphamotorsports.ca/

ThunderRobo's STi

===============================================
Function over Form​
===============================================

-Vision-
The plan with the GR is to create a well rounded car, for both the street and the track. This will be my daily driver, my track warrior, my winter beater, my weekend cruiser... This will be my Toy.

Function is King.

================================================== ==================================================
-Car Info-
Year:
-Engine-
Engine Management: Accessport V2
Block: AlphaMotorsports - SRD
Pistons: CP 99.75mm 8.2:1 Pistons [WPC Treated]
Rods: Carrillo Pro H Rods
Crank: OEM Nitrated
Valve Springs: GSC Beehive Valve Spring
Retainers: GSC Titanium Retainers
Bearings: ACL Race Main Bearing || Rod Bearing [WPC Treated]
Studs: ARP Head Studs
Gaskets: Subaru OEM Gasket / Seal kit
Timing Belt: Gates Racing Timing Belt Kit / Tomei Timing Belt Guide
Accessory Belts: Gates Racing Accessory Belt | AC Stretch Belt
Turbo: Blouch Dom3.0XTR
Intercooler: Perrin Signature Series FMIC
Meth Kit: N/A
Injectors: Deatschwerks 850cc
Intake/Inlet: KStech 73mm / Generic 2.4"
BOV: APS 50/50
TGV: P&L Motorsports
Headers: GT Spec Equal Length
Uppipe: GT Spec Catless
Downpipe: Invidia Divorced Bell-mouth Catless
CBE: MadDad Street Series
Other Power Mods: Walbro 255L / P&L AirPump Delete / Crawford AOS / KillerB Oil Pickup | Radiator Shroud / Mishimoto X-Line Radiator / Kart Boy Pitch Stop / Group N Mounts / ThunderRobo Superawesome Oil Cooler
-DriveTrain-
Flywheel: ACT Prolite
Clutch: ACT XtreamDuty
Bushings: WhiteLine Transmission | Rear Diff
-Suspension-
Coilover: KW / RCE Tarmac 2
Sway (F/R): Progress 22mm / Progress 22mm
EndLinks: KartBoy
RCK: WhiteLine Roll Center Kit
Braces: Cusco Lower Arm Brace | Rear Member Brace
Bushings: WhiteLine Comfort ALK | Front Control Arm | Steering Rack | Rear Subframe
-Brakes-
Brake Pads (Street/Track): Hawk HP+ / Carbotech XP10
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF600
Brake Lines: Goodridge Braided
Master Cylinder Brace: Grimmspeed
-Wheels / Tyres-
Daily Driving
-Wheels: Enkei RPF1 18x10et38
-Tyre: Nitto 285/35/18
Track Duty
-Wheels: Enkei RPF1 17x10et38
-Tyre: Hooosier R6 275/40/17 / Nitto NT01 275/40/17
Worthy Mention: Advan RS | Gram Light 57D
-Electrical | Interior-
Gauges: Defi Oil Temp | Oil Pressure |Boost
ICE: Pioneer 920BT
Bezel: 'JDM' A/V Bezel
Seat: Sparco Evo
Misc Interior GT-Spec D Wheel / TWM Shift Knob / Redline Shifter | E-Brake Boots

Spare Block: AlphaMotorsports - SRD
Pistons: CP 99.75mm 8.2:1 Pistons
Rods: Eagle H Beams
Crank: OEM Nitrated
Bearings: ACL Race Main Bearing || Rod Bearing
Studs: ARP Head Studs
Gaskets: Subaru OEM Gasket / Seal kit

Attachments

See less See more
1 28
#3 · (Edited)
Re: ThunderRobo's venture into AWD, 2009 STi WRB

-01.24.09-

Here she is! fresh off the train from BC! (sorry for cell phone pics)

However, still being in the dead of winter, and with no more room in either of our parking garages, i won't be able to pick up the car till the snow melts to allow me to park the car on our drive way. :(

The Car has 14km on it, and is ready to be picked up anytime.

#4 ·

Congrats, pictures!

#5 ·

Congrats! Nice write up there as I was in a similar situation as you when i was searching for a new car. I narrowed it down to an A4, 335i, Evo GSR, and the Sti. I also did not get to test drive the Sti but did manage to try out the 265. I'm coming from an LGT and WRX so i believe i have an idea of what the Sti will feel like although i have never been in one. My car does not arrive until Mar but i am anxiously anticipating the arrival date especially with every thread that i read on this board along with TSC and NASIOC. :)
Since i know you have done your homework on these cars, i was wondering where you ordered your whiteline sways and red tail light overlays? I also live in T.O and would prefer to deal with local shops if i could to save on shipping and duties.

Innes

#6 ·

Thanks guys.

Innes, did you by chance buy the car from Markham Subaru? I think i may have been looking into that particular STi myself, and even placed an offer and deposit for it... until my friend told me that his dealership just got two STis fresh off the train.

As far as local parts.. Budds Subaru sells/can source alot of parts for fellow fanatics. However, they don't do 'under the table' deals, and we do get charged full taxes... It's an expensive way to go.

'Import Image', a sponsor of this site, will also send parts over the boarder to us with a low declared value, helping us save on duties. His shipping prices is very fair too, so in the end, I think he's going to be the best supplier for us north of the boarder. If you want, we can do a mini group buy and save even more on shipping.

I got my 'Bat' tail overlays from the man himself, No customs/duties to worry about because he sends them as a letter, and not a package. PM him.

Derek.

#10 ·
Re: ThunderRobo's 2009 WRB STi

Nice write up. So you're paying for a car that's sitting on the dealer lot? Or do the lease payments start when you drive off the lot? Why not wait for the economy to go down the crapper some more before pulling the trigger? I know, so many questions. Congrats on the ride!

#11 ·

Nice write up. So you're paying for a car that's sitting on the dealer lot? Or do the lease payments start when you drive off the lot? Why not wait for the economy to go down the crapper some more before pulling the trigger? I know, so many questions. Congrats on the ride!
Thanks!

Payments start when i driver it off the lot, I got a pretty sick deal on the car as far as Canadian deals go, very close to what SOA offered for the 08s, thus i decided to take the plunge without a second though.
....it was hard explaining to my parents why i bought the car without them being then tho. :D

thanks for the plug thunderrobo...car looks awesome, best of luck with it!
You and the company are very deserving.
Hope to deal with you soon!

Keep the deals coming!

#16 ·

-03.10.09-
Pick up Day

Nothing much to report about the car, It's your typical GRB... but i guess it wouldn't be a journal if it was missing this post, so stick with me here.

Went to the dealership around 12, and as i pulled in, there she was, sitting in the parking lot, freshly washed ...and covered in little droplets of water.

Signed the rest of the paperwork, and eagerly jumped into my new STi, the needles did their thing when i turned the key, turned it all the way... nothing happens, a disappointed look comes on my face... OH RIGHT!! Have to clutch in!! (i was sitting sideways in the seat with my legs side of the car still) :rofl::rofl:

The Drive home was rather uneventful, I set the Shift Light to 3700rpm and just cruised home... The Seat warmer kept my butt nice and warm while i was trying to figure out how to work the climate control.

80kms done by the end of the night... 920kms to go!

Have to get my custom plate transfered over onto the car some time this weekend.

Favorite Comment so far...
-ugh... Derek, it looks like a soccer mom's car... (from my girlfriend) :rolleyes:

#17 · (Edited)

-03.11.09-
Mods are here!

Day one with the STi, 'Mod' one and two and three

Woke up early in the morning and flashed to Stage1 using the AccessPort, There is definitely a noticeable change of power, even at low RPMs.

Wired up my STRI Boost Gauge with it's hooded pod this afternoon, It's mounted just right of the dash cluster. The finished product isn't 'clean' persay, and will most likely get moved around a few times before i am happy with it's placement.

Also went down to my local garage to get my new rims mounted. I'm quite happy with the finished result, The fronts needed a 3mm spacer in order for the wheels to clear the OEM calipers, Nothing of major concern, But a Hubcentric spacer w/ extended bolts is def on the shopping list.

TM, 121km, 879kms to go.

Special Treat

Later today, my buddy and i were just drivinging around my neighborhood, trying to get the ECU to 'relearn' the new map and more importantly, for me to 'relearn' the art of driving a stick shift. The Clutch, shifter and over all finesse of it all was very different from my previous cars. The Clutch on the STi goes deep, Throws between gears short, and shift points have yet to be explored.

BUT... Less then two minutes have past by till a sleek black 2002Tii caught our eyes as it was idling on the lane way, and i knew it right then and there, it must have been our fellow member, Kris.

We just hung out and talked cars for a bit, Mostly us admiring his toys.. Kris has to be one of the friendliest car guys i've met so far, and offered us a ride in his 08 STi. I was blown away, with just the few bolt on parts and Protune that he had, his car felt sooo much differently then my stocker, not to mention his kick ass driving skills.

Kris, your car is what i'm aiming for, for this year at least! [:

Thanks again, Huge kudos to ya.

#18 ·

-03.11.09-
Mods are here!

Special Treat

[/U]Later today, my buddy and i were just drivinging around my neighborhood, trying to get the ECU to 'relearn' the new map and more importantly, for me to 'relearn' the art of driving a stick shift. The Clutch, shifter and over all finesse of it all was very different from my previous cars. The Clutch on the STi goes deep, Throws between gears short, and shift points have yet to be explored.

BUT... Less then two minutes have past by till a sleek black 2002Tii caught our eyes as it was idling on the lane way, and i knew it right then and there, it must have been our fellow member, Kris.

We just hung out and talked cars for a bit, Mostly us admiring his toys.. Kris has to be one of the friendliest car guys i've met so far, and offered us a ride in his 08 STi. I was blown away, with just the few bolt on parts and Protune that he had, his car felt sooo much differently then my stocker, not to mention his kick ass driving skills.

Kris, your car is what i'm aiming for, for this year at least! [:

Thanks again, Huge kudos to ya.
Anytime Derek, nice to have another STI on the same street! Time for mod wars :)

#22 ·

-04.11.09-
Dropped and Clean

Quickly swapped springs this wonderful afternoon before heading out to see Hannah Montana with my girlfriend this evening. I must say, working on a subbie is a wonderful change from a BMW!

Settled on Tein S.Tech springs, ride quality is still very good, noticeably less roll in corners and good stance, should still give me enough room for the lips that are coming soon.

Anyways, just some quick pics.
A little soap and wax goes a long way!

Rims are coming in later this week as is a 1lb 'Piston' shift knob :)

#24 ·
Re: ThunderRobo's 2009 WRB STi - At the Track

looks good man. i'm getting mine hopefully in < 2 weeks. i'm surprised you're allowed to mod a car that's on a lease though? i'm sure you looked into it but i always thought leases had to be kept stock. maybe it's different outside of pennsylvania. just curious.

those wheels looks great. enjoy the car! good luck vs. kris on the mod wars haha.

also good luck with the commercial airline piloting. i initially wanted to go to the air force academy & transition into commercial piloting. i chose dentistry instead but i'm also in the air force so at least i'll be around the planes/jets. sweet career choice!

oh and one other big thing....

you're told to break in the car for 1000km?!?!?!?! i've been hearing 1000mi! i would love to trim off about 1/3 of the break-in ;) lucky!

#25 ·
Re: ThunderRobo's 2009 WRB STi - At the Track

-05.19.09-

It's been a while since i've updated this... But quiet abit of work has been done to the car. Here's a brief overview.

--Brakes--
-Brake Fluid flush with Motul RBF600 - Awesome stuff, made a night and day difference in term of pedal feel and cured the brake fade that i've always hated.
-SS Brake lines installed - It complemented the Motul fluid very well, further improving the brake feel on the track.
-Endless CC-A Brake pads installed - Great pads, kinda the best of both worlds between a Street pad and a Track Pad

--Exterior--
-Charge Speed Front Grille installed - Really changes the look of the car up front, i'm happy with the fitment, and all in all, very happy with the purchase.

#28 ·
Re: ThunderRobo's 2009 WRB STi - At the Track // Brakes // ChargeSpeed grille

How do you like the Endless CC-RG pads? Have you used any other pads on the track? How do they compare?
Hey.

I've used Frendo 3000s, CarboTech XP14 and the CC-RGs on the track.

I think the CC-RGs are the best of both world in between a full on track pad and a weekend track pad.

I like it alot, very little brake fade and initial bite is harder then the Frendo 3000s, while still being able to control the stopping power easily IMO.

:tup:

#29 ·
Re: ThunderRobo's 2009 WRB STi - At the Track // Brakes // ChargeSpeed grille

-06.07.09-

Rays Lug lugs installed for street wheels, looks great!

Megan Racing Catback installed. The sound is decent, it's more of a low 'rumble' then a high pitched kind of sound. Not too loud, def okay to live with on a day-to-day basis.

Over all, i'm pretty impressed with the system considering it's price.

Fuel delivery system also got a over haul :)

Here are some quick shots from the day... sorry, car is REALLY dirty.

#32 ·
Re: ThunderRobo's 2009 WRB STi - elCheapo exhaust installed.

GT spec headers w/ up-pipe ordered.

Thanks Josh @ Import Image Racing!
next thing you should do is definately get a protune. With the new fuel system upgrades, headers, downpipe, and intake that would be your next best thing to do once they're all installed. My HM CAI was showing 3.8 on knock learning and threw mhy fuel trims off on just cobb stage 1 for a day or two i had it on there and took it off as i will put it back on once i go for protune.

#34 · (Edited)
-06.11.09-

-Harman Motive CAI installed [Big thanks to Andy, for the intake]

I'm over all pretty impressed with the finish of the product, Fits great, and the overall build looks pretty darn good. It was a breeze to install, it took me about 5min to do the whole swap, and that even includes the time i spent looking for the 8mm socket i dropped into the engine bay while working on the intake:tup:

*Concerns*
-I dont see how air gets into the cavity...
--->i'm thinking about cutting the horizontal part of the cover and make them ducts for the intake, and I will be using the OEM intake scoop to try and get some fresh air down there.

-The pipe of the CAI gets pretty hot with just normal cruising
--->i'm thinking about putting a thermal warp around the pipe?

ProTune in the near future! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.