GR Hatch: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. "Not Perfect Without BBS" - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. "Not Perfect Without BBS"
S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. "Not Perfect Without BBS"
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. "Not Perfect Without BBS"

Old 05-25-08, 03:49 PM   #41
S'poreSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: 340whp/390wtq!
My Subaru Parts for sale

S'poreSTI will become famous soon enough
Default Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Now Stage 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talsnic View Post
you installed the rad cap incorrectly.

look at the two oem rad caps, the one on the rad is rated at 137Kpa and the one near the intercooler is rated at 108Kpa.

if you install the 1.3bar or 130Kpa rad cap on the radiator, the rad cap near the intercooler will release the coolent at 108Kpa. making the new cap useless.

now if you install the 1.3bar or 130Kpa rad cap near the intercooler, it will release coolent at 130Kpa, and the OEM rad cap near the rad, will release at 137Kpa, if the STI rad cap was to fail to open.
Good catch, man. Nice to know someone looking at that level of detail
But i gotta admit, my reasoning for getting the cap was pure bling. I figured swapping the front was virtually the same pressure trip point, (7kPa less), and the stocker on the manifold tank would handle any over-temp/boiling issues, tripping at 108.
Any flaws in my reasoning, or any potential danger doing it that way, do give me a shout. much appreciated
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-08, 12:00 PM   #42
talsnic
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: GRB STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

talsnic is an unknown quantity at this point

i would advice for the use of the 1.3 bar rad cap, and the 1.37bar stocker.

reasoning: as the coolent heats up, lets say due to high engine load, or high rpms. the temp will rise in the coolent, and if the recirculating coolent cannot keep up, then the pressure will vent extra fluid at 1.08bar. then the temp guage will rise, and overheat if the load/rpm is not reduced.

now if the coolent will vent off at 1.3bar, the higher pressure will have a greater capacity to hold heat, thus, more heat can be transfered to the rad. its basic thermodynamics, the greater the pressure, the more heat that can be held within the coolent. with more heat in the coolent, the higher the temperature, which will lead to a higher temperature gradient between the air flowing through the rad, and coolent. so, the greater the temperature gradient, the greater the heat mass transfer to the air going through the rad.

basically, under heavy load or rpm, for extensive time, the tranfer of heat from the motor to the rad will be more effective at higher pressures.

with the stock rad cap, which is placed on the rad of 1.37bar, the system is obvously engineered to be capable of operating at that pressure. so why not switch it, such that both the 1.37bar and 1.3bar rad cap are used. it doesnt cost anything more, and will make the cooling system more effective when higher loads are placed on the engine.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-28-08, 04:12 PM   #43
S'poreSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

A busy couple of days, got the front bumper off the car and took care of a few things

Switched out the foglight bulbs, turn signal bulbs, disconnected the DRL's, and took out the intake silencer. Afterwards i did notice quite a bit more sound, especially when giving it a boot when it 3rd at ~40mph, a real strong growl from ~3k to 4.5k.

But the main reason for removal was to 'de-civic' the grille, got that done and ended up making it into a 'semi-sport' grille, by dremmeling out some additional air holes to feed into the snorkle. Got the idea when removing the grill i saw the bumper cover has some holes pre-cut in front of the snorkle

Continued in next post

Last edited by S'poreSTI; 10-22-10 at 09:33 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-08, 04:13 PM   #44
S'poreSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Grille strip was painted as per instructions in another post
https://www.iwsti.com/forums/1856497-post66.html

To create some air slots i covered the side in painters tape and sketched out 4 slots, then used a dremel to carve out the plastic

Finished the slots by sanding with the dremel, then hand finishing with 400grit emery paper

Installed:

Last edited by S'poreSTI; 10-22-10 at 09:34 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-28-08, 05:25 PM   #45
Nick_GDB
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: '05 STi
Fav Mod: the driver
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nick_GDB is on a distinguished road

Nice! Very clean handywork!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-28-08, 06:41 PM   #46
Spaceman
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: dunno
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Spaceman is an unknown quantity at this point

That flat black grill looks perfect! I also like your intake air slot mod. From the pictures it looks like you really took your time and cut it out really nice.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-29-08, 09:14 AM   #47
S'poreSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
That flat black grill looks perfect! I also like your intake air slot mod. From the pictures it looks like you really took your time and cut it out really nice.
Thanks for the props guys.
the most time consuming part was sketching out the slots on the tape, the grille is slightly curved,and it tapers, so the outer slot is ~10mm wide, the inner is ~12mm, and they kind of flow together. it wasnt as simple as just drawing a straight line, i made ~ 10 measurements to keep the bottom & the top of the slot at ~3mm from the edge of the plastic. Rounded corners simply made by drawing round a socket.
After getting that done it was simple a matter of patient dremel work, used a cutting wheel to do the edges, and a cutting bit to get the corners, then finished up with a sanding wheel & hand finish. all in all it took ~2hours, but i think it was worth it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-08, 08:50 PM   #48
GhoSStRyda
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Yimi Built Protuned Motor
My Subaru Parts for sale

GhoSStRyda is an unknown quantity at this point

dude!!! im gonna have to bite your idea on the grill~ that is some real nice work you did there! how many clips are there to remove the front bumper? im getting my fog lights this week and gonna be doing a mod day real soon!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-04-08, 11:46 PM   #49
S'poreSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhoSStRyda View Post
dude!!! im gonna have to bite your idea on the grill~ that is some real nice work you did there! how many clips are there to remove the front bumper? im getting my fog lights this week and gonna be doing a mod day real soon!
I ended up removing 4 from the edge of each wheel well, and 4 underneath. I think it was a bit different from the stock bumper because of my front lip, others reported 3 at the wheel & 6 underneath IIRC.
Finally, there are the 4 on top of the grill that need removal.
There is a foglight install manual available on techinfo.subaru.com if you want to read up in advance
Attachment 11143

Getting the clips out is the easy bit, they are really obvious which ones to remove. The hard bit for me was then getting the bumper to move, its kind of locked into place with some press-fit device that runs from under the headlight round and up the front wing. The bumper kind of locks into that, and removing it for me needed a good hard pull, with resulting noises of breaking plastic as the clips broke free. No damage done at all, but the first time it sounded bad, like i'd f'ed something up. Dont be afraid of it, just pull on the bumper, it should flex and come free.

Last edited by S'poreSTI; 02-11-09 at 09:25 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-05-08, 01:01 AM   #50
GhoSStRyda
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Yimi Built Protuned Motor
My Subaru Parts for sale

GhoSStRyda is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^ sweet!! thanks for getting back to me so quickly! i let youe know when all this crap is done~ its gonna be a whole days of modding !
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement