Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts today. - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts today.
Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts today.
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts today.

Old 04-07-10, 10:24 AM   #21
upncummr
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: '05 CGM
Fav Mod: HPDEs
My Subaru Parts for sale

upncummr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2_m4r1n3 View Post
I'm not really gutting the interior, just took the back seats out. And taking little things out here and there, but its still going to look like a stock STI when you look inside, for the most part of since there are slight mods being done
Just playing Devil's Advocate here - if you're only going to make slight mods as you've said above, then you're really not likely to see any noticeable improvements in either fuel economy or performance.

Without any noticeable improvements in fuel economy or performance, I guess I don't see the benefits of what you're proposing. Of course it's your car and you can do what you want to it. But it doesn't seem like a project that has a rational explanation.

Just my two cents.

Gary
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-10, 12:06 PM   #22
zp2063
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 08 OBP STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

zp2063 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts tod

Read that other thread linked in post 2 or 3. That has great stuff that is still applicable to the GR especially things underneath the car and in the engine bay. It also gives you a reference point for how much gains you'll make with a certain change. Lots of things are still the same from the GD.

My ideas for this thread though:
- Hood. GR is Steel unlike the aluminum one for the GD. Replace with Carbon or the spec c aluminum one.
- Battery. You can get a braille, but there is also one that is a tad heavier with more power, but I don't remember the name at the moment.
- For the wires in the back, maybe you could use loom and make them look nice and neat; not sure though because I haven't seen them. The mini crowd has a pre-made plastic rear seat delete which is pretty light.
- Get rid of the stock DP & Exhaust for something much lighter
- Carbon fiber roof from is 11 lbs lighter for 1100
- Single din is the way to go on the radio. Speakers way nothing.
- Carbon fiber doors, fenders, hatch, wing, etc.
- Get rid of the door cards
- Borrow some 2010 SE stuff like the non-blinker mirrors, or get Samleii's light-weight ones; drop HIDs and switch to the manual A/C.
- Aftermarket race steering wheel.
- Wheels, tires & brakes. These are huge so find the lightest stuff you can.

That's all for now. Like others I don't see the point beyond tinkering for tinkering's sake, but have a blast and take pictures for us all to see.

Old 04-07-10, 02:15 PM   #23
scoob r u
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: Group N Bushing Set
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

scoob r u is an unknown quantity at this point

Good stuff there ^^^

Another idea for you to complete the look / weight savings is to remove your carpet and headliner and replace it with spray on bedliner.

Don't forget about the plastic console and the dash. If your GF can fab up some aluminum panels, you could replace all the plastic in your car with scaled down versions. This would look prety cool and save you a pound or two in the process.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-10, 03:07 PM   #24
GunKata
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Fav Mod: 27MPG all day long / 32MPG+ Highway
My Subaru Parts for sale

GunKata is on a distinguished road

yeahhhhhh... I just don't understand this at all. You spend all this money on the STI to tear it apart (which many may do), but not even for racing or anything?!?! why not just buy an old RS and do an STI motor swap or something, save your money man!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-10, 06:05 PM   #25
Tarmac_GR_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Ti Silver E46 M3
Fav Mod: Lightweight
My Subaru Parts for sale

Tarmac_GR_STI is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the input! Good stuff there. I did think about the aluminum up front, to help out.

I have a carbon scoopless Hood, just need to get the fmic... :-\
I want to do all that carbon stuff, just a bit expensive for now. Definitely gunna do all that along the way!

Well... its my car. You don't need to understand for me to have fun and make a random project for myself.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-08-10, 07:01 PM   #26
KRN_FED
Account Inactive

Car: WRX
Fav Mod: your mom on my lap
My Subaru Parts for sale

KRN_FED is an unknown quantity at this point

lol scoop less hood with a top mount why????

and look at how much a CF wing and fenders weigh when it comes to stock ones not to much of a difference

yea get a lighter exhaust, take out the front and rear seats which the bottom weighs ounces not even a whole pound and use all your windshield washer fluid and bam call it a day

or go on a deit lol
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-08-10, 07:16 PM   #27
th1rd3y3
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Car: '11 SWP STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

th1rd3y3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2_m4r1n3 View Post
I have a carbon scoopless Hood, just need to get the fmic... :-\
You do realize an FMIC is going to add more weight right?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-08-10, 07:34 PM   #28
Tarmac_GR_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by upncummr View Post
You said your objective is to get the car down to 3,000 lbs. But what's the purpose in that?

Are you trying to achieve better fuel economy?

Are you trying to achieve better performance?

In either case, are you sure that the end result justifies the significant changes you're making to the car (e.g. fixed Lexan windows, removal of seats and seatbelts, etc.)?

Are you concerned about the effect these changes will have on the resale value of your car?

Gary

Does anyone know where I could get Lexan windows made is SoCal? And how much that would run?

How clear are they, I'd only do the back windows, but I'm wondering If I'd be able to do the front door windows too?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-10-10, 02:16 PM   #29
zp2063
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 08 OBP STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

zp2063 is an unknown quantity at this point

This just in: A way to remove your whole stereo system and keep an MP3 player/speaker setup similar to your computer speaker idea.

Check the link: Sony Sound Mug fits your car's cupholders, but why? [w/video] — Autoblog

Old 04-10-10, 09:35 PM   #30
Tarmac_GR_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Nice I like that... might have to wait on getting that Kenwood! Sweeeeeeeetness.

THANKS!!!

I wonder how much it is though...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement