Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts today. - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts today.
Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts today.
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts today.

Old 04-07-10, 06:22 AM   #11
upncummr
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: '05 CGM
Fav Mod: HPDEs
My Subaru Parts for sale

upncummr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts tod

You said your objective is to get the car down to 3,000 lbs. But what's the purpose in that?

Are you trying to achieve better fuel economy?

Are you trying to achieve better performance?

In either case, are you sure that the end result justifies the significant changes you're making to the car (e.g. fixed Lexan windows, removal of seats and seatbelts, etc.)?

Are you concerned about the effect these changes will have on the resale value of your car?

Gary
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-10, 07:42 AM   #12
severe
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

severe has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Time for the GR to lose some weight... took out the rear seats and seat belts tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2_m4r1n3 View Post
Yeah, thats the 05 STI though... not a GR STI! lol.
read it first, it might not be the same exact car. but if you can't find useful info there or inspiration not sure what to say.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-10, 07:43 AM   #13
blueteamno
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Car: 07 STI, 09 FIT SPORT
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

blueteamno is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I bought Aero Designs Hades seats.
Are you trying to save all this weight because you take the car to the track? I ask because I'm curious if these seats will be approved for track use, I saw them on ebay and they looked like Bride knockoffs.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-10, 08:02 AM   #14
Tarmac_GR_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: Ti Silver E46 M3
Fav Mod: Lightweight
My Subaru Parts for sale

Tarmac_GR_STI is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by upncummr View Post
You said your objective is to get the car down to 3,000 lbs. But what's the purpose in that?

Are you trying to achieve better fuel economy?

Are you trying to achieve better performance?

In either case, are you sure that the end result justifies the significant changes you're making to the car (e.g. fixed Lexan windows, removal of seats and seatbelts, etc.)?

Are you concerned about the effect these changes will have on the resale value of your car?

Gary
Both economy and performance! Im not going to sell the car, I'm going to keep it. Should be paid off by 2012, so if by then the STI changes... then i'll just get another one and have a paid off car lol. But that wont happen, I cant afford 2 stis 8-O

I realize some of things are a bit much for some. but that's why im not taking all the comforts out, keeping some. like the a/c, being able to listen to music, working windows, power locks, etc.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-10, 08:03 AM   #15
Tarmac_GR_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueteamno View Post
Are you trying to save all this weight because you take the car to the track? I ask because I'm curious if these seats will be approved for track use, I saw them on ebay and they looked like Bride knockoffs.
No, not really for racing, just for personal fun and enjoyment. Seeing how much i can take off and change in the car but still be pretty comfortable as a daily driver.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-10, 08:22 AM   #16
GunKata
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Fav Mod: 27MPG all day long / 32MPG+ Highway
My Subaru Parts for sale

GunKata is on a distinguished road

things that make you go hmmmmm.....
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-10, 08:25 AM   #17
upncummr
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: '05 CGM
Fav Mod: HPDEs
My Subaru Parts for sale

upncummr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Both economy and performance! Im not going to sell the car, I'm going to keep it. Should be paid off by 2012, so if by then the STI changes... then i'll just get another one and have a paid off car lol. But that wont happen, I cant afford 2 stis 8-O

I realize some of things are a bit much for some. but that's why im not taking all the comforts out, keeping some. like the a/c, being able to listen to music, working windows, power locks, etc.
Hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you to think about.

1. Fuel economy - You could probably achieve your fuel economy goals by ensuring your car is properly maintained and by modifying your driving habits to maximize MPG.

2. Performance - Unless you're planning to participate in competitive events where the weight reduction might come into play, I don't quite understand why you'd choose to partially gut the interior of the car. For street usage and most non-competitive track usage the STi has adequate performance and a suitable power-to-weight ratio.

The only reason I bring this up is that you might find ways to shave 250 lbs off the gross weight of the car and actually realize little or no useful benefit.

Gary
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-10, 08:32 AM   #18
Tarmac_GR_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, I know. I figured I get some of that why and not necessary spills, lol.

Just something I want to do, fuel economy is good, for what it can be. I drive pretty well, I get around 19-22 on the streets. 23-25 on the hwy. Not great, but not what they said id get, so better than the estimated!

I'm not really gutting the interior, just took the back seats out. my new spare is going to be an extra BBS wheel (08+) eventually, when i find a good set for a good price. And taking little things out here and there, but its still going to look like a stock STI when you look inside, for the most part of since there are slight mods being done
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-10, 08:51 AM   #19
geddesk2

Car: 2006 STI WRB
Fav Mod: None yet!
My Subaru Parts for sale

geddesk2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ripping all this stuff out in a DD seems abit crazy but do what you want. I hope you can easily revert all these changes if you do want to eventually sell it...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-10, 08:56 AM   #20
Tarmac_GR_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, im ripping some stuff out. But I want to do it and I know some things wont be the same before if i want to go back. I'm sure i'll be happy with it and I don't plan on selling this car, but I do plan on selling my Harley! lol.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement