Car: 08 wrb wrx sedan
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

monkiboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RFID Push Start for STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishSTile View Post
Scenario 1: I get home from work and as I am pulling in the wife comes out and says she needs to run an errand, the car is out and running so she hops in, i hope out and she drives away. 30 minutes later i am riding my bike 10 miles because she has the keys to the other operable car and she cant re-start the car with the fob because its in my pocket.

Scenario 2: I come home and turn the car off, open the door and leave it open because I am just running inside to change. Because the door on the car has not been closed and software engineers are idiots after I change out of my slacks and into my jeans I come back to the car and can turn it on despite the fact that the fob is 25 feet away. Normally the car would ding at me, but as a persnickety engineer I have removed the door chime from the car because it bugs the crap out of me and there is no disable for an unplugged seat belt. The "key not in car" warning happens to share the same chime.

Scenario 3: ohh never mind your just being argumentative anyway.

Ill keep my keys
if that situation is common enough for you, then just purchase and install only the push start module. then you don't need to worry about an RFID fob proximity sensor being the initialization signal for the push start mechanism. you can just carry your OEM subaru fob to lock/unlock/trunk release. when any of the above situations you presented occue, you or your wife can still operate your car as the initialization jumper will be set to ground which is only activated when the hidden switch(es) in your car are left on. in a bad part of town or leaving town for a while with the car unattended, then flip them again to completely disable the ignition system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Is the bezel the same for GR wrx and stis?
yes, sir. the GH, GE, GR, and GVs have the same interior generally speaking so the jdm push start bezel fits and replaces the usdm OEM in all these vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddesk2 View Post
I'm pretty sure the factory housing, button, and key block plate cost about 300 based on what I see on japanparts.

I'm guessing its 800-1000. Parts, man power, and margin to make it worth while tell me you guys need give up the under 500 fantasy.
japanparts tends to be as close to MSRP/retail as you can get and should only be used when you're really in a pinch. you can find better prices through ross @ avojdm or have someone import the parts new/used for you at even cheaper rates. the latter taking more time but at a more affordable rate.

so if you go with advanced keys with a complete package, keyless entry and push-start, and all the jdm goodies (including the jdm red sti button), you'd be right around $500 sourcing the parts yourself. the biggest bump being the jdm push start button. without that, you'd be right around $300 and you'd use the black nissan/lexus button included.

i dont know what "easy go systems" will charge but it very likely can be under $500 as they are not providing the jdm push start button. they have some red button of their own as seen in the original post.

Last edited by monkiboy; 02-01-13 at 06:48 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-13, 08:46 PM   #152
stiggysaurus
Account Inactive
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Tomei Expreme Ti Catback
My Subaru Parts for sale

stiggysaurus is an unknown quantity at this point

why can't it just function 100% the same way as a car that comes with it from the factory like new Audis? this goes the same for both "advanced keys" and "easy go systems"

i.e:

1. keep fob in pocket at all times.
2. open door without taking fob out of pocket. handle is either touch sensitive or has a button like the one in the OP video
3. close door, put clutch in, hit Push to Start button, car starts, drive away
4. to lock car, just touch the button on the handle

built in back ups:

-no battery charge in fob - just insert the fob into slot to start car
-no battery charge in fob and can't get into car - slide the "mini" key out of the fob and unlock using key
-car will not drive away if fob is not inside car
-can't lock car from outside by using the button on the handle if fob is inside the car (so you can't lock yourself out)
-really reaching here but nice feature to have - trunk will not close if you accidentally leave the fob in the trunk

i personally wouldn't need remote start but having a remote start option would be good for many interested and should not interfere with the system functioning the way I just stated above

monkiboy and lastwrights hope you have an input on this and to the people who find many reasons or stupid reasons like

Quote:
The STi is a very mechanical car devoid of electronic wizardry for the most part. There is something satisfying about sliding that key in, feeling it pass the tumblers and twisting it. Its oldschool, its a little more connected and a little more raw in a way. Ill keep my keys.
so keep your keys, don't get the system - nobody is forcing you
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 02-01-13, 09:02 PM   #153
monkiboy
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Car: 08 wrb wrx sedan
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

monkiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

iamthestig - that is how the advancedkey systems works except you don't have to worry about installing a different handle nor pushing or touching a button/touch sensitive switch. you literally, just walk up to the car. the proximity sensors in the car detect your presence and unlock/disarm for you. when you walk away, they lock/arm.

in terms of back ups, creating a "slot" into a car that even with their jdm push start system does not use a slot, is reaching a bit. again, you do get a warning when the battery is low with plenty of notice and batteries last a long time (2+ years in my experience).

you cannot lock the car from the outside by walking away if the fob is in the car as the proximity sensors are reading the signal from the RFID fob.

if the car is already on, and then the fob is removed, i believe you can drive regardless. most systems even OEM do this but you will not be able to restart obviously once the car has been turned off without the RFID fob present.

thanks for the great queries. i think all this discussion is helpful!

Last edited by monkiboy; 02-02-13 at 07:27 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-13, 07:09 AM   #154
SpeedylimitedSti
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: WSP 12 limited STI
Fav Mod: Cobb
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SpeedylimitedSti is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm down for kit
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-02-13, 07:44 AM   #155
Sabrewings
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: 1 Meter Fuel Line
My Subaru Parts for sale

Sabrewings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The STi is a very mechanical car devoid of electronic wizardry for the most part. There is something satisfying about sliding that key in, feeling it pass the tumblers and twisting it. Its oldschool, its a little more connected and a little more raw in a way.
The most serious of STIs have push button start...

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-02-13, 08:47 AM   #156
lastwrights
Becoming A Contributor

Car: Ssm 2011 Sti
Fav Mod: Access port
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

lastwrights is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
iamthestig - that is how the advancedkey systems works except you don't have to worry about installing a different handle nor pushing or touching a button/touch sensitive switch. you literally, just walk up to the car. the proximity sensors in the car detect your presence and unlock/disarm for you. when you walk away, they lock/arm.

in terms of back ups, creating a "slot" into a car that even with their jdm push start system does not use a slot, is reaching a bit. again, you do get a warning when the battery is low with plenty of notice and batteries last a long time (2+ years in my experience).

you cannot lock the car from the outside by walking away if the fob is in the car as the proximity sensors are reading the signal from the RFID fob.

if the car is already on, and then the fob is removed, i believe you can drive regardless. most systems even OEM do this but you will not be able to restart obviously once the car has been turned off without the RFID fob present.

thanks for the great queries. i think all this discussion is helpful!
So on the advance key system what happens if your car battery dies? How do you gain access to the car? I know the easy go system has a cut key in the fob so you can still get into the car.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-02-13, 02:24 PM   #157
swedishSTile
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 09 Basalt Blk Cayman
Fav Mod: ENDRtune
My Subaru Parts for sale

swedishSTile is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewings View Post
The most serious of STIs have push button start...

Image Link
hahaha, touche good sir
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-02-13, 06:14 PM   #158
stiggysaurus
Account Inactive

Fav Mod: Tomei Expreme Ti Catback
My Subaru Parts for sale

stiggysaurus is an unknown quantity at this point

actually much rather prefer the key fob in the OP video than the RFID credit card
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-03-13, 02:32 PM   #159
gregroot198521
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

gregroot198521 is on a distinguished road
Default RFID Push Start for STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI Bomber View Post
Regarding to the 4 no votes at the time.
Ahh, gotcha. Tapatalk doesn't show polls....
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-03-13, 09:06 PM   #160
KyleFitzjearl
Becoming A Contributor

Car: SWP 2013 STi Limited
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

KyleFitzjearl is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm still in for the op kit. I really like the fob.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement