2008 Subaru STI Ipod Integration for Stock Navigation System DIY - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2008 Subaru STI Ipod Integration for Stock Navigation System DIY
2008 Subaru STI Ipod Integration for Stock Navigation System DIY
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > 2008 Subaru STI Ipod Integration for Stock Navigation System DIY

Old 12-12-08, 05:36 AM   #11
rcharles
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 08 STi DGM, 01 2.5rs
Fav Mod: Coilovers on an 08
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

rcharles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2008 Subaru STI Ipod Integration for Stock Navigation System DIY

Is it true you can not have sat. radio and i-pod control at the same time with the non-nav headunit??
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-08, 06:06 AM   #12
2fas4u
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

2fas4u is on a distinguished road

no that is not true, its only if you have SAT and NAV there is no way to get IPOD control via the head unit.
TEAM AGILE,2005 STI, 458 Whp / 418 ftlbs, Custom GT30R, Perrin FMIC, 44 mm Ext Turbosmart WG, Group-S ceramic non-eq Headers, E-Boost2/ Walbro 255, PE 850 Injectors,COBB shorty intake w/ MAF, PWR radiator, Injen TBE, TurboSmart BOV, TGV Del, Hotchkis Anti Sways, DC Sports Titanium Strut Bars, Cobb AP Protune, Stoptech brake lines,DBA-5000 front rotors, DBA-4000 rear rotors, 5Zigen 18x8.5 GN+ rims, P-Zero 245x40-18's, Stewart Warner Guages, billet pitch stop.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-12-08, 06:08 AM   #13
RFFG
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

RFFG is on a distinguished road

I need to do this.

Notables: 1990 Turbo Mustang / 2008 Impreza STI / 1998 Impreza GF8 / 2004 Impreza STI / 08 Lexus IS250 / 2009 Lexus IS250 / 06 Lexus IS250

(555
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-08, 07:06 AM   #14
rcharles
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: 08 STi DGM, 01 2.5rs
Fav Mod: Coilovers on an 08
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

rcharles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fas4u View Post
no that is not true, its only if you have SAT and NAV there is no way to get IPOD control via the head unit.
OK, so I have sat. radio on the standard 6-disc headunit. I was under the impression that I could only have sat or i-pos but not both. Guess I need to look into the i-pod interface now since I can have both. Thanks.

This is the discription off the subaru site:

I-Pod Interface, $160*
Allows extensive control of your iPod through the vehicle's head unit and steering wheel controls (if equipped). Text displays playlist, artist, album, and song information. Charges your iPod and supports Podcast and Audiobook content. Not compatible with NAVI or Satellite Radio.

I figured since it said navi or satellite I assumed it ment if I had the sat added to the standard head I couldnt use the i-pod interface.

Last edited by rcharles; 12-12-08 at 07:12 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-13-08, 01:20 PM   #15
Slimey
Becoming A Master Contributor

Fav Mod: SSR Type C/Dunlop 3D Winter Set
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Slimey is an unknown quantity at this point

Just installed today. Took about 15 minutes. Works great.

A couple of minor install corrections/points:

I have a panel popper that I use for these installs. Made out of nylon and a great cheap tool for any interior installs.

I've now removed the factory navigation head unit several times for installs (bluetooth, subwoofer, iPod). There is no need to tilt the face of the unit. Wasted step.

Also, you put on the plastic clips that attach the module to the bracket upside down. They go in from the bottom up. I made this mistake too but noticed the head unit bumping into the bottom of the plastic clip as I slipped it in. Re-read instructions and it does state the white plastic clip's head should be on the bottom of the bracket.

There is no need to remove the HVAC vent to thread the iPod cord from the glove box. It's pretty easy to thread even with this in place.

Lastly, you didn't point this out, but it is in the instructions and will become obvious as you do the install. The iPod cord and the module interface cord need to be routed behind the bracket. This will allow for room for your head unit to slide back in easy.

The iPod interface is not really that intuitive - but also not that hard to figure out, especially with instructions in hand. It does charge the iPod and sound quality is great. So far I'm very happy with this purchase.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-20-08, 07:07 AM   #16
Teosti
Becoming A Contributor

Car: STi004,STi009,BRZ011
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Teosti is on a distinguished road

I need this integration!! Great How to!!

One question, does work good also with Ipod Touch?

Thanks

Old 12-31-08, 06:33 PM   #17
jeremy25056
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: AW 08 STI On Gold
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jeremy25056 is an unknown quantity at this point

just ordereed mine. il let you guys know how it goes.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-02-09, 06:39 PM   #18
slambot

Car: OBP 08 STI
Fav Mod: RA flaps
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

slambot is an unknown quantity at this point

I just completed the install for a non-Nav STi. Thanks for the great write up! Ordered the integration kit from here for $138.

Some notes:
- Don't do this in the dark! Obvious, I know. I started with 45 minutes of daylight left, but couldn't get the trim panel off. I was so determined to finish that I did the entire job at night with just a headlamp (since the battery is disconnected - no interior lights). Not recommended

-Getting the trim panel off was a pain in the butt. I see the value of your first step to swing down the Nav unit's face. Without the Nav unit, like on my car, there is no 'easy way' to get a pry point. After some trial and error, I bought a trim removal tool at Kragen for $4. The key starting point for non-Nav systems is to wedge the tool just above the CD loading slot in the center - that's were there is the most give to flex out the panel and start popping clips.

- Once the trim panel was loose, I wasn't ready for the A/C vents to fall out. They just sit behind the trim panel, so I was lucky to have a towel draped over my lower dash/shifter and nothing was damaged.

- After de-mating the various harnesses in the rear, the CD player shot out of the opening and I barely caught it. I didn't realize that I was placing a load on it while struggling to de-mate the last (super short) harness connection. Beware!

- The actual iPod control unit only clips to the bracket that comes with the kit. Once the bracket was installed in the dash, I noted that the unit had a lot of play on the bracket. Not wanting a rattle to develop in 5k miles, I applied electrical tape around the unit and the bracket to secure it. Totally easy and made the mounting much more sound.

- I routed my iPod cable to the little console just in front of the shifter. I have an iPhone and want to be able to charge it, play music and still detach it quickly for calls or getting out of the car. There is a hole that is JUST big enough to fit the iPod cable end through toward the passenger's side, through the top of the little console - feel for it with a finger. I didn't have to remove the inner A/C vents and was able to route the cable down there. It took some serious work to get the connector through the little hole but it's doable. Would be easier with daylight (ha ha).

- At first I tested the system with an old Nano. Interface isn't great, especially with only 1 line of text on the non-Nav unit, but I'll get used to it. It sounded pretty crappy - until I realized that unplugging the car battery set the audio to default 'flat'. After turning enhancement back on and setting up the EQ, it sounds GOOD. Remember to set everything back to your nominal config.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-03-09, 08:32 AM   #19
sgtpeper
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: '08 OBP
Fav Mod: A Car Wash
My Subaru Parts for sale

sgtpeper is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of curiosity what settings do you use on your non nav unit?

'11 STi - Limited

Notables of the Past: '08 STi Stage 1, '84 Alfa Spider, '05 Stage 2 STi, '97 Cobra 'vert, '95 GSX, '87&'88 Supra Turbo, '87 Scirocco 16v, '67 Triumph TR2000 & GT6, '79 Beetle 'vert
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-04-09, 08:46 AM   #20
slambot

Car: OBP 08 STI
Fav Mod: RA flaps
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

slambot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
Out of curiosity what settings do you use on your non nav unit?
I'm still experimenting, but for now I'm at:
- SRS CS-Auto enabled
- Bass = -3 (since the SRS adds so much bass and there's no sub)
- Mid = 0
- Treble = +3
Determined these with MF Doom mixtape, Friendly Fires and Portishead albums.

I didn't discover the SRS enhancement until a few days after I bought the car. The stereo sounds worthless without it (think 02/03 WRX stock head unit), but decent with it enabled.

Also, I can confirm that this iPod interface works flawlessly with the 1st generation iPhone. Barely enough room in the front lower tray for the phone mated to the connector, but it works (the connector is pretty long).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement